Rapid flashing indicators

Chris Broster - Bristol & Bath AO

I have recently upgraded the headlight candles to LED units that include a halo DRL/Indicator - what difference!

2012 Sierra SDV Zetec

The issue is that I have LED side repeaters and normal filament rears indicators; the end result is a rapid flashing of the indicators that Mr MOT gave me an advisory on? Original  under dash relayIMG_1642.thumb.jpg.5d0340f470b63047600fa2ab3e865096.jpg

I bought an adjustable led/filament flasher relay from CBS and fitted that but that stops the flashing completely!

IMG_1644.thumb.jpg.e4827c2e519fc1ace98819fc20fd5233.jpg

So then I bought a universal LED/Filament relay, again from CBS, but when I fit that and activate the indicator it fries the fuse (20A)?

IMG_1643.thumb.jpg.6f99581d4f4fea7511aff76f59efb055.jpg

Any ideas or is the solution just go LED all round and if so any ideas on rear LED bulbs?

Cheers Chris....electrics are NOT my strong point KISS please!

jonjh1964

IIRC I fitted a CF14 LED Relay to resolve this on my car

Adge Cutler- Dorset AO

An alternative option: fit a Blinkstop “magic box”, solves more than one “problem” 🙂. Or perhaps you never forget to cancel your indicators?

• Like 1
corsechris

Simple fix is to fit load resistors across the LED indicators (or anywhere convenient) to increase the load back up to the threshold for the original flasher to work properly. 

More complicated is what I did on my build which was to increase the load sensing resistance in the flasher unit until was happy.

1 hour ago, Kit Car Electronics said:

10% WSCC discount for these, latest versions can run hazards as well as all indicator types: 

Cheers Mike, it's on the list!

@jonjh1964 Cheers, one on order now.

SootySport

This is the one I bought for mixed led and filament bulbs

https://www.carbuilder.com/uk/red-3-pin-led-flasher-relay

check the pin designation is the Same  your old relay.  If the fuse keeps popping I reckon you have a wiring fault as well so check none of the wires are trapped and shorting to the chassis.

Barnsley John
On 15/10/2020 at 22:08, Adge Cutler- Dorset AO said:

An alternative option: fit a Blinkstop “magic box”, solves more than one “problem” 🙂. Or perhaps you never forget to cancel your indicators?

One for me as well

• Like 1
Alan France

When I moved my bulbs to led I bought, via eBay, “12v Electronic Indicator Flasher Relay for Classic Cars with OE Clicking Sound” from Classic Car LED’s at £9.71.

Works fine, previous relay was Westfield Factory standard on a 2017 kit.