Diff noise normal?

Harvey1700

Harvey1700

Afternoon, I have an early SEiW with an English diff in the Westfield alloy housing, alloy rear uprights etc. I can hear a rotational diff noise at any speed above about 20mph. It’s not loud. Andy at Arrow has just rebuilt the diff and it’s still there (all other rear bearings changed too). Just wanted to know if anyone else has this set-up and can also hear the noise? 

Just wondered if this was normal as your sat right on top of it and it’s pretty solidly bolted to the chassis (nylon inserts).

Hoping it’s normal so I can stop fretting about it.

Cheers

Harvey

Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary
32 minutes ago, Harvey1700 said:

Just wondered if this was normal as your sat right on top of it and it’s pretty solidly bolted to the chassis (nylon inserts).

Diff noise in Seven type cars is extremely common, most though not all, have increased levels than other cars, for the reasons you mention. You do sometimes find different makes/specs of oil can slightly exaggerate or reduce the noise, but if a diff is known good, then I wouldn’t worry too much.

• Like 1
CosKev

What oil was put in it?

You might find if its had some fancy thin synthetic stuff put in it it will be quieter putting in the thick stuff Ford specced for the diff when it was new👍

Harvey1700

Thanks for the advice. It was EP80W-90 mineral (GL5) so I think that’s the thick stuff you refer to!

AdamR

I had mineral in mine and it sounded like it had a bag of rocks in it! Changed to Fuchs Pro Race fully synthetic and it went away...

Edit: the noise that is, not the diff. Ha.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1