getting back into a westy!

MTBCOACH

Hi all 

Had a westy about 4 years ago, 195bhp silvertop, aeroscreen track focused car. Loved it but lack of practically and getting caught out in the rain a few time cracked me (I live in scotland!) and also my son came along so i sold it and have fast "normal" daily drivers/ funs cars since. 

Getting the itch to get back into a more focused car and was convinced that i was going to get a lotus Elise of some variant but just cruising the classifies i came across this  https://www.pistonheads.com/buy/listing/10880311?cId=7603489&cId=8261381&cId=10532616&cId=10848632&cId=8188583&cId=10743908&cId=10709198&cId=10910583&cId=10241434&cId=9403081&cId=10530938&cId=10255215&cId=10530935&cId=10495043&cId=7754910&cId=10880311&cId=10530937&cId=10702904&cId=10054548&cId=8198864

Basically my dream spec westy! Has some more creature comforts so a bit more practical and the super reliable engine/ gear box set up, even the colour is perfect. Only minor issue is that is not a "proper mega S2000 chassis and was adapted by the previous owner to suit the engine/ box but looked to have been done well!? (hard to tell as i am not expert!)

It is as the very top of what i would want to spend on a toy but i don't know much about the mega S2000 builds

Any advice from owners pro's and con's would be much appreciated. 

Many thanks

Cheers Paul 

Welcome back from a soggy speyside, I’ll let some of the s2000 guys advise on the pros and cons. It certainly appears to be a well sorted car, good luck .

if you do take the plunge then keep an eye out for clan McWesty in the events section

cheers Gary

Welcome back!

I would be far less concerned about chassis strengthening for the S2000, than for a turbo or V8 install. It's torque that's the worry here and that's not a torquey motor at all. 

As long as the owner can evidence the consultation did indeed happen, and work was carried out, I wouldn't worry about it.

My 2p 🙂

I love the fact that your idea of a more comfortable Westy with creature comforts is one with racing seats, harnesses and an aero screen! That’s my idea of a hardcore one!

The drive back from Wiltshire to Scotland in the winter will be interesting. But it’s sunny down here tomorrow, so if you act quickly, you might get away with it.

As above. The chap was 'monstered' on the Westfield Facebook site for describing it as a Mega S2000. He's openly declaring it's was built before the factory made the mega S2000. Ask for details and pictures of the chassis mods for the S2000, that he's done. 

Equally ask how the Vtec has been configured in the ECU. The Westfield-Omex solution has it enabled at 4600 rpm, to avoid a slug of torque when it kicks in at the normal Honda set point of 6800rpm. Hence it's not so noticeable when Vtec engages, but you do notice a change in exhaust note.

I'd also explore the different map settings via the dash switch, as it's not turbo'd I'm not sure of what the differences would be. I can only guess different Vtec engagement set points?

1 hour ago, Ewan said:

I love the fact that your idea of a more comfortable Westy with creature comforts is one with racing seats, harnesses and an aero screen! That’s my idea of a hardcore one!

The drive back from Wiltshire to Scotland in the winter will be interesting. But it’s sunny down here tomorrow, so if you act quickly, you might get away with it.

ha ha this one has a windscreen option (switchable) and heater! my old one had aero screen, zero padding on the seats (surprisingly comfy!) but had a 4 speed straight cut rocket box! (so loud!) it is basically a luxury car with this spec! ha ha yes if i do buy i will need to pick my day to drive it back...on those tyres! 

Gary yes if i do buy i will head out on a run or two. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ian Kinder (Bagpuss) - Joint Peak District AO said:

As above. The chap was 'monstered' on the Westfield Facebook site for describing it as a Mega S2000. He's openly declaring it's was built before the factory made the mega S2000. Ask for details and pictures of the chassis mods for the S2000, that he's done. 

Equally ask how the Vtec has been configured in the ECU. The Westfield-Omex solution has it enabled at 4600 rpm, to avoid a slug of torque when it kicks in at the normal Honda set point of 6800rpm. Hence it's not so noticeable when Vtec engages, but you do notice a change in exhaust note.

I'd also explore the different map settings via the dash switch, as it's not turbo'd I'm not sure of what the differences would be. I can only guess different Vtec engagement set points?

Any chance of sharing a link to the page so i can see the chat? so hard to value it as it is not a "proper" S2000 chassis 

Cheers Paul 

Hi Paul,

It's here- https://www.facebook.com/groups/6231698041/permalink/10157743260503042/?sale_post_id=10157743260503042

Agreed, it's hard to value. Like with most Westfields build quality and current condition has more impact on value than age.

Given the colour I assume it's been painted and not gel coat colour.

Cheers for that Ian

Yes painted, not gel coat!

Thinking it might be a bit heavy in that current spec but then i hear S2000 builds carry their weight well as engine/ box is quite far back? 

Thoughts on how they handle/ drive compared to a Zetec engined car much appreciated

Cheers Paul  

Hi Paul,

My car is 647kg without me. I've not driven an Zetec, so can't comment on comparisons sorry. What I will say is it's a great engine. You can tour and get 35-40mpg. The engine pulls from 30mph in 6th. Equally you can 'wring it's neck' and spin it up to the 9000rpm rev limit. Hence it's a great dual nature car.

1 hour ago, MTBCOACH said:

Thoughts on how they handle/ drive compared to a Zetec engined car much appreciated

@Rush Motorsport haven’t you driven Andy’s S2000 as well as my Zetec?

Both with cage and aeroscreen so should be a reasonable comparison. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Ian Kinder (Bagpuss) - Joint Peak District AO said:

Hi Paul,

My car is 647kg without me. I've not driven an Zetec, so can't comment on comparisons sorry. What I will say is it's a great engine. You can tour and get 35-40mpg. The engine pulls from 30mph in 6th. Equally you can 'wring it's neck' and spin it up to the 9000rpm rev limit. Hence it's a great dual nature car.

This is exactly what i want! that duel personality! 70kg over my old one but more power! What kind of miles per tank do you get from it? another thing that used to crack me with the zetec was stopping every 100 miles due to small fuel tank, no great mpg and not a particularly accurate fuel gauge   

I've had a 2.0 Zetec (on twin 45's) and the S2000 on standard induction and the cars are chalk and cheese, not just engine though. 

My zetec was set up very firm (for sprinting) with no ARB's and the 45's were jetted for top end power. It was great for treading on on a smooth road but a pain at low speed (due to the carbs). It felt lighter on its feet and had a noticeably better front end but had a tendency to have a bit of oversteer. I think the oversteer bias was probably due to the stiffer set up and the power delivery rather than weight. 

The S2000 (as Ian says) is incredibly tractable at any speed (but I've driven a Zetec MEV on Jenveys that's also very tractable) but incredible at high revs. My chassis set up is a lot more compliant (even with front and rear ARB's) and is biased more to understeer at the limit. While I can still get it to oversteer, I much prefer the less snappy nature on the road given my meagre talent levels 😂

In terms of range, I normally fill up after 80-100 miles (depending how I've been driving 😁) and have about another 6-7 litres left in the tank. 

25 minutes ago, MTBCOACH said:

zetec was stopping every 100 miles due to small fuel tank

That's the tank, not the engine though 😁

I can get over 150 miles to a tank on my injected Zetec but usually fill up at 140 - on the road anyway!

2 hours ago, MTBCOACH said:

This is exactly what i want! that duel personality! 70kg over my old one but more power! What kind of miles per tank do you get from it? another thing that used to crack me with the zetec was stopping every 100 miles due to small fuel tank, no great mpg and not a particularly accurate fuel gauge   

Have a look here- https://www.fuelly.com/car/westfield/mega-s2000-fw-aeroscreen-/2016/iank-westie/835172

The tank should be 29L however as it's a non factory S2000 before the factory offered them, it may have the smaller (24L?) tank.