Tools you wish you'd bought sooner....

NickBW

On 17/10/2020 at 12:51, Steve (sdh2903) said:

High lift low profile jack. Dont know why I spent years fannying around with a little one.

I still don't have one but I really wish I'd have bought one of these at the start.

49 minutes ago, TableLeg said:

I still don't have one but I really wish I'd have bought one of these at the start.

Honestly just get one @TableLegyou won't regret it. I bought this one although I got it for around 80 quid as they do the trade card special offers regularly. 

https://www.halfords.com/tools/garage-workshop/axle-stands-trolley-jacks/halfords-advanced-2-tonne-low-profile-trolley-jack-657305.html

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, SootySport said:

Makita cordless impact gun= priceless!!!!

In fact all the Electric tools I bought in the last few years are Makita, no competition from other brands  IMO.

Hilti power tools are better. We run a fleet of about 20 kits for our tradesmen and they very rarely fail despite loads of abuse

4 minutes ago, KugaWestie said:

Hilti power tools are better. We run a fleet of about 20 kits for our tradesmen and they very rarely fail despite loads of abuse

I'd add Milwaukee to that list too. Seriously good gear.

12 hours ago, Steve (sdh2903) said:

Honestly just get one @TableLegyou won't regret it. I bought this one although I got it for around 80 quid as they do the trade card special offers regularly. 

https://www.halfords.com/tools/garage-workshop/axle-stands-trolley-jacks/halfords-advanced-2-tonne-low-profile-trolley-jack-657305.html

I’ve got that same jack but branded by someone else (I can’t remember who). The 50.5cm Lift is ace.  It’s a very heavy Beast though so I’m considering a lightweight 1.25t one for Trackdays 

Had a good selection of makita a few yrs back but they did the dirty and changed battery design and wouldn't support the previous battery style. So when those batteries went there was no replacement. Non oe batteries were rubbish thus my makita tools were not useable.

Good news it introduced me to milwaukee and they are very good. So I won't buy makita again.

DeWalt 18v cordless angle grinder - amazing power for a battery-operated unit - I hacked up a four-drawer metal filiing cabinet last week - used one battery and two discs....

Also - Dewalt cordless multi-tool - soooooo versatile, especially for chopping / cutting stuff in-situ, rather than having to remove it

At the simpler end of the scale - Wera mini-ratchet - takes 1/4" drive bits, so it's brilliant for access to inaccessible screws - https://products.wera.de/en/zyklop_ratchets_and_accessories_zyklop_mini_8001_a_sb.html

Piers Morgan.  He’s a right tool and if I had him, I’d lock him up somewhere safe and soundproof so no one had to see him again.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NigelO said:

DeWalt 18v cordless angle grinder - amazing power for a battery-operated unit - I hacked up a four-drawer metal filiing cabinet last week - used one battery and two discs....

Also - Dewalt cordless multi-tool - soooooo versatile, especially for chopping / cutting stuff in-situ, rather than having to remove it

At the simpler end of the scale - Wera mini-ratchet - takes 1/4" drive bits, so it's brilliant for access to inaccessible screws - https://products.wera.de/en/zyklop_ratchets_and_accessories_zyklop_mini_8001_a_sb.html

Is the multi tool worth the money?

1 hour ago, Captain Colonial said:

Piers Morgan.  He’s a right tool and if I had him, I’d lock him up somewhere safe and soundproof so no one had to see him again.

If you can, have a look for "The Media Show"  which was on Radio 4 last Thursday, 8.30pm (I think). Piers was on and like you I generally hold him in contempt. However he was surprisingly (annoyingly, frustratingly) good to listen to...

1 hour ago, Blatman said:

If you can, have a look for "The Media Show"  which was on Radio 4 last Thursday, 8.30pm (I think). Piers was on and like you I generally hold him in contempt. However he was surprisingly (annoyingly, frustratingly) good to listen to...

Thanks - I’ll consider it but I’m unlikely to change my mind in that like burps, farts, vomit, and Piers Morgan with a lifeboat, some things are better out than in.

1 hour ago, Rush Motorsport said:

Is the multi tool worth the money?

I have the cordless version, simply becuase all my power tools are DeWalt cordless and I have a few DeWalt batteries. If you don't already have batteries, then the cordless version of any multi-tool is probably not worth the money. However, the tool itself, whether corded or cordless is one of those tools that you never knew you needed, but once you've used one, you'll wonder how you ever did without it.

It also helps that I have a family member who works for Screwfix...

I have lots of dewalt cordless already, my Dremel is broken But when I saw the dewalt tool it was £180!

On 19/10/2020 at 19:43, KugaWestie said:

I know Hilti tools are the top brand but also a lot more expensive for the DIY man.

14 hours ago, Arm said:

Had a good selection of makita a few yrs back but they did the dirty and changed battery design and wouldn't support the previous battery style. So when those batteries went there was no replacement. Non oe batteries were rubbish thus my makita tools were not useable.

Good news it introduced me to milwaukee and they are very good. So I won't buy makita again.

I assume that's when the lion batteries came in, can't do much about that.  There's always a chance Milwaukee can do the same.