OBD2 plug in Speedometer for IVA

master_hayabusa

Mark (smokey mow)

I think if we’re me I would unclip the OBD connector from below the dash and then bundle it up somewhere out of sight behind the dash so the tester can’t easily see that the speedo is plugged into the OBD port rather than wired directly into the loom.

master_hayabusa
4 minutes ago, Ian Kinder (Bagpuss) - Joint Peak District AO said:

They don't like solutions like this. They prefer methods used by automotive manufacturers. Another crafty idea would be to remove the OBD2 socket and mount behind the dash with the Speedo plugged in. Then fit a dummy OB2 socket in place and he'll know no different!

Yes I know what you mean. Actually I was offered a solution to have it hard wired for £40. But I thought I'd go to the test and see if it passes and at the same time see if they flag anything else. So then I'll do it all in one go. Like for example, I don't even know if they'll accept the actual speedometer type in the first place.

corsechris

How about a sticker on the speedo scale with mph instead of kph? You could even do it by hand, just add appropriate points using the existing kph scale as reference.  

master_hayabusa
2 hours ago, corsechris said:

How about a sticker on the speedo scale with mph instead of kph? You could even do it by hand, just add appropriate points using the existing kph scale as reference.  

yes I thought about this already. I would have to remove the cover glass of the speedometer and then maybe take a photo of the centre speedometer dial. I think it's digital though so that makes it difficult.

speedo-GP5.png

corsechris

Ah, well, that makes it awkward don’t it! Naive I know, but you’d think a digital device would have an easy way to switch units wouldn’t you.

Back to plan A then.

Steve (sdh2903)
32 minutes ago, corsechris said:

Ah, well, that makes it awkward don’t it! Naive I know, but you’d think a digital device would have an easy way to switch units wouldn’t you.

Back to plan A then.

If it is a digital display that may well be a possibility through coding. I know for some other marques you can definitly do it. 

master_hayabusa

Hi everyone. Well good news. Car passed IVA. The tester asked me what type it was and I quickly replied it's wired in. He said, "no, I mean is it GPS". I said definitely not. Then he drove it. Was fine. Then he put it on the rollers, fine too. I'm well relieved.

Got MOT done same day too.

Regarding the inconsistency of the information (DVSA tech said its not allowed etc), this was further demonstrated when I showed him the exact same paperwork regarding the CO2 emissions for the car that Honda Japan provided me for two hybrids I imported. Previous tester accepted the email from Honda and entered the CO2 figure on the certificate and therefore that car is tax exempt. This chap said it's not acceptable because the email needs to mention compliance to EU standard. Which it doesn't. He also said that WLTP figure is also now required since April 2020 - so I got no chance of getting the tax exempted. He also suggested that the previous tester should not have done that :) So a bit hit and miss I guess. Not sure if it's worth showing DVLA that email when I send of the application for the V5. Maybe I get lucky.

Edited by master_hayabusa
  • Like 2
Ian Kinder (Bagpuss) - Joint Peak District AO

Really pleased you've passed and thanks for the update.

• Like 1
master_hayabusa
16 hours ago, Ian Kinder (Bagpuss) - Joint Peak District AO said:

Really pleased you've passed and thanks for the update.

Thank you