OBD2 plug in Speedometer for IVA

master_hayabusa

master_hayabusa

Hello,

I don't have a sports car but was wondering if anyone knows if I am permitted to use an OBD2 plug in type of digital speedometer that sits on the dash. I have installed one in my car (Japanese with KMPH speedometer) that sits on the dash, the wiring is discreetly running in the between the side panels and it connects to the car's OBD2 port. I don't need to switch on anything separately and the speedometer starts when the car starts and turn off when engine is turned off again.

Does the IVA test inspector specifically look at where the wiring is going because apparently you cannot 'plug in' the speedometer. It has to be hard wired.

Thanks

Ian Kinder (Bagpuss) - Joint Peak District AO

Can't see why this won't be allowed as long as it over reads as required for the test. Are you able to adjust it to achieve this? The tester won't care where the speed input comes from.

Mark (smokey mow)

I agree.  A lot of vehicles obtain their speed signal from the ecu so I don’t see a major issue.  The speedometer would need to be Program able so it over reads with the correct tolerance and the wiring  to it would all need to be permanently clipped and secured. when plugged in you would also have to meet the requirements for visibility and interior projections on both the plug and also the speedometer.

master_hayabusa
1 hour ago, Ian Kinder (Bagpuss) - Joint Peak District AO said:

Can't see why this won't be allowed as long as it over reads as required for the test. Are you able to adjust it to achieve this? The tester won't care where the speed input comes from.

Many thanks for the quick reply. By over read you mean that the speedometer reading should show more than the actual speed of the car right? How much more? Yes, the device does allow me to adjust it.

Chris King - Webmaster
1 minute ago, master_hayabusa said:

How much more?

I think it’s 6% min from memory, but that needs clarifying.

At my Iva mine was accurate and the tester allowed me to adjust it until it over read by the required margin. 

master_hayabusa
1 hour ago, Mark (smokey mow) said:

I agree.  A lot of vehicles obtain their speed signal from the ecu so I don’t see a major issue.  The speedometer would need to be Program able so it over reads with the correct tolerance and the wiring  to it would all need to be permanently clipped and secured. when plugged in you would also have to meet the requirements for visibility and interior projections on both the plug and also the speedometer.

Thanks for the reply. Actually DVSA tech replied to me with the following. But I have had inconsistent information from them in the past so I don't trust it. I'll attach a photo to this thread shortly too.

DVSA said:

Hi

Being plugged into the OBD2 socket would not be sufficient. A typically type approved vehicle would not have this arrangement and the IVA would make a comparison during the IVA Test.

Regards

TableLeg
19 minutes ago, master_hayabusa said:

DVSA said:

Hi

Being plugged into the OBD2 socket would not be sufficient. A typically type approved vehicle would not have this arrangement and the IVA would make a comparison during the IVA Test.

Regards

I suspect they are seeing it as a temporary fitment rather than a permanent one (due to the ability to plug and unplug devices from the OBD socket) however, were the wiring and OBD socket hidden away who'd know?!?

master_hayabusa

This is how I wired it. After the wire goes down the side panel it's not visible unless you put your head in the footwell and look for the OBD port :)

IMG-4458.jpg 

So what car is it? Is it a Jap import, that you've trying to register in the UK?

master_hayabusa
8 minutes ago, Ian Kinder (Bagpuss) - Joint Peak District AO said:

So what car is it? Is it a Jap import, that you've trying to register in the UK?

Yes it's a JDM Honda Fit (Jazz in UK) Hybrid 1.5 litre. I have imported previously so have gone through the whole IVA rigmarole. However for the previous car I completely changed the speedometer to a UK one (from a UK car showing in MPH) so it was no issue at all. Unfortunately this car was never sold in the UK in Hybrid form, it's a Mark 3 Jazz (shape 2015 onwards), so no UK MPH dials exist :(

Hence why I have to go down the route of a separate speedo. 

My test is tomorrow. let's see.

TableLeg
1 hour ago, master_hayabusa said:

My test is tomorrow. let's see.

Good luck.

Good luck. Let us know how you get on. Can you 3D print a clip or bracket to hold the ODB2 connector into the port? I hope the tester doesn't go looking for it.

master_hayabusa

Thanks for all your help guys.

A clip or bracket is a good idea but I won't have enough time now. I could tape it I suppose to make it appear that its not easily removable.

Let's see.

Just now, master_hayabusa said:

Thanks for all your help guys.

A clip or bracket is a good idea but I won't have enough time now. I could tape it I suppose to make it appear that its not easily removable.

They don't like solutions like this. They prefer methods used by automotive manufacturers. Another crafty idea would be to remove the OBD2 socket and mount behind the dash with the Speedo plugged in. Then fit a dummy OB2 socket in place and he'll know no different!

Just now, master_hayabusa said:

Let's see.