Flared Side Panels

Adge Cutler- Dorset AO
27 minutes ago, SimonUK said:

What are the best tools / cutting blades for cutting the original side panels and also doing the more intricate cuts on the carbon?

I used a fine cutting disc on a Dremel to cut existing grp panels, and jigsaw with ceramic tile blade to cut cf. Plus needle files to clean “fiddly” bits! Slid thin shim between grp and chassis rail for protection when cutting existing panel.

Used extract (woodwork) to minimise dust, and wore visor/respirator and gloves. Understand cf splinters can be painful.

Blade and cutting disc:

9815631B-7181-4C32-9EAF-5CAE563F170E.thumb.jpeg.2ae5d0a799a1390052422b48fd22133e.jpeg

Hope that helps

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
CraigHew

I used a 1mm cutting disc in an angle grinder to cut the old panelling, using a steel guide ( pre-formed to shape) held top and bottom with g clamps.

You only get 1 chance to cut the old panel correctly....

The above method was like watching a hot knife go through butter and spot on cut lines....

jonjh1964
3 hours ago, CraigHew said:

I used a 1mm cutting disc in an angle grinder to cut the old panelling, using a steel guide ( pre-formed to shape) held top and bottom with g clamps.

You only get 1 chance to cut the old panel correctly....

The above method was like watching a hot knife go through butter and spot on cut lines....

Me too, with a small piece of steel sheet to protect the chassis.

Andy (Sycho)

1mm cutting disc & a scraper to protect the chassis, dremel with cutting disc & sanding drum to shape carbon.