Golf Rear Calipers - Which Ones

Steve20

Hi,

Am in the process from converting from SDV Sierra rear end to standard with Golf uprights, therefore would like to understand which calipers I need, looking for standard VW parts as firstly I don’t want to over brake the rear (running Sierra on the front until next year when I will go wide track) and also cost reasons.

Therefore what do I need please?

Thanks

Steve

Nick Lester

I have some Golf calipers with green stuff pads that I removed from my car when I went HiSpec that will fit your Golf uprights if that would help? I also have the handbrake cable to fit the sierra handbrake

Thanks

Nick

Chris King - Webmaster
Just now, Andy (Sycho) said:

I believe @Chris King - Webmaster Did this, he may have a build thread with all the info on.

Yup been in touch with Steve - but I ended up going Sierra caliper route 👍

• Like 1
Steve (sdh2903)

Mk4 golf rear calipers for solid discs (think they're from the lower powered petrol and diesel models) 

38mm pistons are the ones you want. 

The copy rally design or obp calipers are not compatible. 

I have a list of all the bits and bobs you'll need somewhere I'll see if I can dig it out. 

Steve20

Hi Steve,

Any info will be great fully received 

Thanks

Steve

Steve (sdh2903)

Copied from my old build thread 

1. Calipers. Not all vag calipers are the same, particularly in the carriers, there are also vented and solid versions and 2 piston sizes, 38mm and 41mm. You need the ones from a mk4 golf, 38mm pistons, not the r32 or some V5 models. 

Just to add the vag calipers that rally design and comp brake sell are NOT compatible with the westfield upright, the carrier is too thin and the fluid port is on the wrong side.

2. Carriers. These need to be the thicker ones of the golf, some other vag models use a thinner carrier which doesn't work with the WF upright. I found these on ebay that are correct and come with new sliders rubbers and bolts. They aren't handed as they are described in the title they fit both sides, you just need 2 the same.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/291792260343?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

3. Fitting kit, rear pad anti rattle springs. 1 required.

http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/Volkswagen_Golf_1.9_2001/p/car-parts/brake-friction/brakes/brake-accessories-and-brake-fitting-kit/?107770058&1&440fa9c762e474167d41967e745de2c5bcbe270e&000416

4. Bolts, 4 required to mount to upright, the Vw ones are too short. You need M10 fine. M10 x 1.25 pitch, 50mm long.

5. Brake lines, these use a 12mm banjo fitting with an m12x1mm thread.

Some of the links above might not work. It prob best if you can get some lightly used genuine vag ones but I've used pattern copies with success aswell like these that come with carriers aswell

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/254516476761

• Like 1
Steve20

Steve,

Many thanks for the detailed reply, unfortunately the first link to the carriers doesn’t work, any chance you could resend it please so I can see exactly what I need.

Thanks again.

Steve

Steve20

Steve,

Just answered my own question, looking at your final link I can see what you mean about thick carriers.

Also just been looking at your excellent build thread.

Steve

Steve20

Nick,

Let me have some photos and prices please and let's see if we can make a deal.

Thanks

Steve

Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary
On 12/10/2020 at 21:11, Nick Lester said:

I have some Golf calipers with green stuff pads that I removed from my car when I went HiSpec that will fit your Golf uprights if that would help? I also have the handbrake cable to fit the sierra handbrake

Thanks

Nick

I don't want to be "that" person, but if you can, I'd hang on to them till you've had the Hi Spec's for some time; there's increasing numbers of us converting to Golf rears from Hi Spec, once we get fed up of the dismal to none existent handbrake performance after the first few thousand miles or so, and the annoying tendency for pistons at the back to seize occasionally.

Nick Lester

Hi Dave,

Not at all, I really appreciate your advice - thanks! Only one slight problem... they are now being fitted to Steve's car (if not already fitted!). Will certainly keep an eye on them, since adjusting up the handbrake pads the pull up doesn't seem too bad however I haven't done that miles since fitting them 

Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary

I couldn’t see what the fuss was about when I first fitted my rear Hi Specs, the handbrake was fine, and they sailed through IVA. I noticed soon after IVA that the brakes didn’t feel as good as on my old XE, which was kind of strange to me at the time, as they were the same AP Racing front calipers, and AP Racing Master Cylinder, but with Sierra rear calipers.

Then the miles started piling on, and I started to notice I had to keep my foot on the brake pedal when stopped at lights on steep hills. Then we all found out about the correct method to adjust the handbrake pads, (which requires the removal from the inside face of the caliper of the handbrake cable, so that you can get at the adjuster screws.) Mine were seized, so with only a week to go before a trip to Le Mans, I ended up having to drill the adjuster screws out in situ, and re-helicoil them, on the side I’d foolishly started. (I didn’t dare do the other side, as by the time the parts had come in, it was days before the French trip.)

So, twelve or thirteen hundred miles through the UK and France were done, with Sh@te Spec rear brakes, and barely any handbrake. Didn’t help that in one French village, on a steep hill, we all had to pull up in an emergency stop when one of the four cars started gushing smoke out of the inlet manifold, and I had to sit like an idiot, unable to help, in my car, as I had to hold the foot brake down to stop it rolling away, into the others. (Thankfully, it was only a very quickly done and dusted bit of oil burning itself out of Jordan’s inlet manifold, and  we could soon drive on.)

Soon started to become obvious after the trip that I had poor normal brakes at the back too. On investigation, both inboard pistons on the two calipers were seized.

They lasted 17000 miles, and five or six years, before I ripped them off the car and slung them to the far end of the garage, I now consider them scrap. Was I unlucky, to a degree, but then I’m aware of so many others that have had the same symptoms, to a greater or lesser degree. (Mainly cars that rack up the road miles on tours and frequent weekends “playing out”, I’ll grant you.

On a pampered garage queen, or a mainly track car, I’m sure the problems probably are fewer. But on a serious road going Westfield, that’s going to get loads of use, especially year round use... I’d never fit another set.

Sorry.

• Like 1
Steve (sdh2903)

Come on dave tell us what you really think of them! 

Agree though the golf calipers are ideal on the westy, plentiful availability, reasonably light, cheap reliable and a great handbrake. And the rear uprights were designed for them!

As an incidental tale I was the one who found the golf caliper an option to the Sierra. Had access to all caliper drawings and was able to sort out the best alternative.  I wasn't for telling anyone as used it for racing and didn't want to give any secrets . But was persuaded to tell one mate who proceeded to tell another mate.....

• Haha 2