AIM remote buttons interface (RBI)

BugMan

Some advice hopefully from the collective here on the fitting of the buttons.

I have some 8mm push buttons on order from China, which have still not arrived yet, to be fitted into the fantastic 3D dash mount from the 3D group here.

This got me thinking if just normal single pole, single throw SP/ST for normal switch function Is what I need, or do I need to consider “Latching” switches?

Common scene tells me single pole, single throw switch with individual wiring for the indicator part of the switch???

:westy:

BugMan

Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary

Do you mean the AiM remote button interface used with the dashes where the built in buttons are inaccessible? If so, they need to be momentary, not latching types.

Tim (TimDave25) - Joint Thames Valley AO

I agree with Dave. Like for like replacement of what's on the dash.

Chris King - Webmaster

Definitely momentary. I have this set up. 

gee_fin

The Aim buttons I used (from Aim) had the wires terminated in a box, before outputting them to a binder connector. Not sure if the box is doing some compatible trickery or if straight plain buttons would work...

Chris King - Webmaster
1 hour ago, gee_fin said:

the box is doing some compatible trickery

That’s the “remote button interface” with a binder connector 

BugMan

Yep, thanks team, turns out the place we ordered from had cancelled the order for some reason, but I had guessed correctly momentary contact 

Dave - yes the remote button interface is what I was talking about, all part of sinking my AIM into the dash

:westy:

In which case, as in my other post, pretty much any 12 volt compatible momentarynswitch will do, just pick a style you like/works well!

Getting five buttons rather than four, will mean that in addition to the four menu/settings buttons, you can also have a discrete odometer reset button, very handy!

The interface box, is essentially turning the contact closure inputs into a can bus signal that the dash can understand. 

One note though, from memory, if your using one of the Can Channel expansion modules, to add more analogue/digital input channels, I seem to recall needing the Can Data hub, to give you more Can inputs, so that the RBI can be added on the same overall Can stream.

Chris King - Webmaster
27 minutes ago, Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary said:

odometer reset button

The sole reason I bought it!

Chris King - Webmaster
24 minutes ago, Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary said:

One note though, from memory, if your using one of the Can Channel expansion modules, to add more analogue/digital input channels, I seem to recall needing the Can Data hub, to give you more Can inputs, so that the RBI can be added on the same overall Can stream.

Yup that’s what I needed as I’ve recently added a GPS08 - which is brilliant. 

20 hours ago, Chris King - Webmaster said:

Yup that’s what I needed as I’ve recently added a GPS08 - which is brilliant. 

Ive been curious about those, but is it more of a track day benefit?

Chris King - Webmaster
41 minutes ago, Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary said:

Ive been curious about those, but is it more of a track day benefit?

Yes - it's for track days really.