Recommend me some new 3D CAD Software

Mark (smokey mow)

Mark (smokey mow)

Not really 3D printing question, but I thought I’d find the best response in here.

After 17 years and a new computer upgrade my ageing solidworks is no more.  It seems that my 2004 release simply is not compatible with running on Windows 10.

So it’s about time I got something new, but what? I’d love Solidworks again but I’m simply not that rich so what’s everyone else using for 3D CAD these days?

I’m currently looking at Fusion360 and Onshape, anything else I should be looking at?

Ian Kinder (Bagpuss) - Joint Peak District AO

@Paul Aspden The 2nd is our resident Onshape Guru. 

maurici
47 minutes ago, Mark (smokey mow) said:

Not really 3D printing question, but I thought I’d find the best response in here.

After 17 years and a new computer upgrade my ageing solidworks is no more.  It seems that my 2004 release simply is not compatible with running on Windows 10.

So it’s about time I got something new, but what? I’d love Solidworks again but I’m simply not that rich so what’s everyone else using for 3D CAD these days?

I’m currently looking at Fusion360 and Onshape, anything else I should be looking at?

Are you happy to work with dodged licenses? or you use it for comercial purposes? 

Mark (smokey mow)
11 minutes ago, maurici said:

Are you happy to work with dodged licenses? or you use it for comercial purposes? 

Use will be non commercial but I’m not looking for anything dodgy. 

I’m happy to pay, but just want to make sure I explore all options to pick the best one.

Chris King - Webmaster
44 minutes ago, Mark (smokey mow) said:

Use will be non commercial but I’m not looking for anything dodgy. 

I’m happy to pay, but just want to make sure I explore all options to pick the best one.

You can use both Fusion360 and OnShape for free non-commercially. 

I’d guess if you are familiar with SolidWorks then Fusion is the logical choice. 

Mark (smokey mow)
12 minutes ago, Chris King - Webmaster said:

You can use both Fusion360 and OnShape for free non-commercially. 

I’d guess if you are familiar with SolidWorks then Fusion is the logical choice. 

thanks Chris, at the moment this is what I’m favouring as watching the videos the interface looks very similar to what I have at the moment.

the limitation of the free version looks to be that assemblies can’t be more than 10 active parts, some of mine at present are over 500!  It still gives me a chance to download it to try first before I buy though.

corsechris

There was a recent change to the 'free' Fusion360 licence, it is no longer 100% fully functional as it was before, but for most folk just printing the odd part, no real problems. Main one likely to hit us home gamers would be the 10 designs active at once limit. Doesn't;t meant you can't have more, you just have to 'park' those not in use. Or as I've started doing with the simpler stuff, just keep re-using the same design and either add new 'components' or just delete and re-design.  Frankly, it'll help encourage better housekeeping.

I can't really see any of the big hitters giving it all away for free - why would they? The Fusion360 and OnShape models seem quite a good compromise. Some don't like the way OnShape forces all your projects to be public access in order to use it for free, others will find the new restrictions in Fusion360 onerous.

Mark (smokey mow)
12 hours ago, Ben(EBD-ENG) said:

https://www.eaa.org/eaa/eaa-membership/eaa-member-benefits/solidworks-resource-center

I know a few people who pay 40dollars a year for the membership to the eaa solidworks is Included 

thanks Ben that looks like a very good offer.

I downloaded Fusion360 last night and had a play. It’s not quite as intuitive as Solidworks although I’ve had 20years practice at that but looks like it may work for some of the more basic parts.  I’m worried it may not have some of the more complex functionality that I need so need to do some more practice. The biggest issue at the moment seems to be that on the hobby version the upload option for Solidworks files and assemblies had been disabled which is a real PITA, so I’d have to go fully paid up.

marcusb

Is  sketchup on your radar? no idea if any good but same developer as software I use

loads of tutorial etc on you tube

https://www.sketchup.com/

Mark (smokey mow)
2 hours ago, marcusb said:

Is  sketchup on your radar? no idea if any good but same developer as software I use

loads of tutorial etc on you tube

https://www.sketchup.com/

thanks for the suggestion.  Sketch up was discounted quite early on as it doesn’t offer the level of functionality that I need.

its great for architectural visualisation but was never really designed for engineering applications.

Paul Aspden The 2nd

Thought I would pipe up seeing as I am tagged. Lol. 3D Software is a really personal choice, obviously I am a bid fan of onShape, but that’s because I have found my groove with it. It is also fantastic for collaboration. 

The big point here is try them all if you can and which ever you find you “groove” with then stick with it.