Steve’s FW 2.0 Zetec build – January 2021

SteveB21

SteveB21

Amazing what you find when you know what you are looking for and check the right picking list! The spacer was in a bag with the steering rack mounts while the bag of nuts & bolts was in the box with all the other bags of fittings - I had completely missed it first time round! I will use what I need now and then work out what the steering rack needs. The bag contains more than is required for the rack or the column, but not enough for both...Thanks guys.

IMG_4631.JPG

• Like 2
  • Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SteveB21

• Benrobson2999

• MikeJG

• Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

No going back now - stock check day tomorrow and then the fun really starts!  Bodywork and seats are for collection at a later date.

Both floor panels on today:

Big day Saturday - chassis off the build stands and onto axle stands. Did it with 4 helpers plus attached the engine crane at the rear just in case... All went OK, so now I need to tidy up the wiring

Posted Images

SteveB21

Productive day today - started with a breakfast delivery of the bits that were missed from the order on Tuesday. Did a trial fit of the diff with the help of #1 son. It all fitted OK, plus we got to assemble & use the engine crane for the first time!  Finished the day by fitting & drilling my first panel.  Only fly in the ointment was I discovered that I have the wrong steering column set - which explains why I was scratching my head yesterday over the nuts & bolts. One for next week...

IMG_4632.JPG

IMG_4636.JPG

IMG_4638.JPG

• Like 6
Benrobson2999

Nice start, straight into it! Did you bolt the dif in completely or offer it up? Just wondered if it slid into position easily or was a bit of effort still to align all the holes/bolts.

The Clecos are brilliant aren’t they, they make the panel work so much easier, I can’t imagine not using them now. 

Have you got a right angle drill and small 4.1mm bits for those awkward locations? 

SteveB21

The diff went in easily with the lifting strop looped round each hub, but we did have to work a bit to get the alignment right for the 2 bottom bolts. Definitely a 2 man job!

I have a right angle air drill, but it isn’t a match to my standard cordless drill - I’m pondering investing in a right angle cordless now I’ve experienced that first panel. 

• Like 2
Adge Cutler- Dorset AO

I found a right angle air drill plus some shortened bits got in all the awkward places without any problems. Always a good excuse for a shiny new machine though 😉.

• Like 1
Yorkshire_Pudding

+1 for what @Adge Cutler- Dorset AO said, if I was to do the panels and wiring loom routing again a right angled cordless drill would be on the top of my list 😂

SteveB21

The deed is done - right angle cordless drill ordered, plus some 4.1mm stub drill bits. No other progress to report today.

• Like 3
MikeJG

That's about how far I got into the project before I bought one too. Don't think it will stop there. I have a Fluke DVM arriving tomorrow having thrown my £7.50 pile of junk away last week.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary

Yup, never ends!

Ian Kinder (Bagpuss) - Joint Peak District AO

I use the logic of how much would I have needed to pay a 'professional' to justify spend on tools etc.  You've got them for future projects too (providing you can remember where you've put them!).

• Haha 1
SteveB21

Spent a bit more time today sorting through boxes and checking where everything goes. Correct steering column being sent out by Westfield (I was supplied the "3-piece" column set for the Zetec with standard induction, not the set with the single lower column for throttle bodies). I also seem to have an issue with metal filings in the upper column and on the bushings, making the inner column very rough to turn. More on this once investigated further.

And I have my first question - Lining up the tunnel top panels and the front panel overlaps the scuttle panel by about 15mm if I align the sides with the tunnel frame, and it still allows overlap with the middle panel. I assume I can trim off the overlap, butt it up to the scuttle panel and then apply sealant underneath to stop future water ingress at the join, rather than leave a messy overlap?

IMG_4658.thumb.JPG.23dd86212b13b33c18f70154c3e9b1d1.JPG

Also, some goodies arrived in the post for future use - A bulkhead adapter for the heater hoses. I saw it in another build diary and though it a neater solution than the standard 2 pipes:

IMG_4647.thumb.JPG.726c620bd28656025a4a118ff263fb92.JPG 

Dynamat sound-deadening mats - something I've used in my TR6 to good effect and I see a couple of others have used it on their Westfields, so I intend to use it on all the large panels to deaden unwanted noise (and letting me hear more of the wanted noise...): IMG_4646.thumb.JPG.12a468774bfa8c8c7fb5977603ca4858.JPG

• Like 3
Adge Cutler- Dorset AO

Up to you obviously, but I didn’t trim tunnel panel tops at all, just overlapped them, including onto the scuttle panel.

Drilled and tapped chassis for M5 button head bolts, panels sealed on neoprene tape. Stayed watertight over 11k miles now, plus easy access when/if needed.

image.jpeg.a20e62424fd233f43838790b6699a5f4.jpeg

Benrobson2999

I like the look of the bulkhead adaptor. Shiney! :)

I just overlapped the handbrake panel at the rear section. Drilled and tapped to allow removal, butted up the rest of them. I have yet to order some neoprene tape to seal it up.

MikeJG

Each to his own Steve. I trimmed some and overlapped some

I think trimmed is better really.

You really need to start thinking about what you are going to do about the gearlever gaiter now so you can keep Ben and  I amused and arguing! pmsl!

• Haha 2
SteveB21

Thanks guys - spent some time drilling the scuttle panel plus driver's footwell and started the top panels. I've decided to trim the front top panel to butt against the scuttle and overlap the rest. Good idea on the tape to seal the panels and I had already decided to go the M5 button head route for the top panels. 

I was going to stay out of the Brexit gearlever gaiter debate...🤐

IMG_4659.thumb.JPG.fefe1423444d4a3d0fd2ada87b05507c.JPGIMG_4660.thumb.JPG.4a019c0285d8e6d379fc3157b4811bf3.JPGIMG_4661.thumb.JPG.87e025b4661334dc530e4702425d49d6.JPG

Also spent some time pulling clean rags through the upper steering column to clear out the metal filings following a chat with Westfield and the inner column now turns very smoothly (the photo below is before, not after!). Will grease it all before final fitment.

IMG_4657.thumb.JPG.0a15bdb169728a2c961fdfa9b229814a.JPG

Learnt a couple of things as well - a) it's worth buying  a decent auto centre punch (my Silverline one has gone in the bin!) and b) I need more Clecos! 

• Like 4