Steve’s FW 2.0 Zetec build – January 2021

SteveB21

SteveB21

No going back now - stock check day tomorrow and then the fun really starts!  Bodywork and seats are for collection at a later date.

IMG_4613.JPG

IMG_4614.JPG

IMG_4620.JPG

• Like 9
  • Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SteveB21

• Benrobson2999

• MikeJG

• Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

No going back now - stock check day tomorrow and then the fun really starts!  Bodywork and seats are for collection at a later date.

Both floor panels on today:

Big day Saturday - chassis off the build stands and onto axle stands. Did it with 4 helpers plus attached the engine crane at the rear just in case... All went OK, so now I need to tidy up the wiring

Posted Images

Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary

There you go, you've done it now!!

MikeJG

Well done. No going back now. Shouldn’t you put a cover over the TR6 to stop it getting jealous?

• Like 1
Benrobson2999

Nice one :) many happy hours ahead to look forward too. 

SteveB21

Spent most of the day going through boxes and storing stuff so I can start work. Found 4 panels missing from the panel package and that the 2 bottles of diff. oil didn't make it, so Westfield are sending them on. The 4 missing panels were the 2 front footwell panels and the 2 rear arch gap covers - they had somehow become separated from the main package and were found sitting in the parts store!   

I also checked the diff. bracket positions following the issue @Benrobson2999 had, and they look good,  but I think I'll still do a trial fit early on (when I can borrow #1 son for a while!).   

• Like 3
MikeJG

You have obvs been making a load of notes Steve. It would have taken me weeks to miss the rear wheel arch filets. I had to ask what they were for. The 2 front footwell ones are a bit more early critical though.

Good Start.  👍🏻

Benrobson2999

Great to see. No doubt WSC will help along the way with any little issues and questions as they certainly have with me. Glad the chassis is ok. Look forward to your progress. 

SteveB21

@MikeJG I’m not that clever! I rang Westfield about the 2 footwell panels and they rang back to say they had found them, plus 2 panels I didn’t know I was missing yet!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
SteveB21

Continued my voyage of discovery through the boxes of bits today and stored various items in the roof (exhaust, nose grill, manifold, etc.) as they won't be needed for a while. Ordered some new tin snips.  Eventually found the lower steering column packed with the prop shaft in lots of bubble wrap! 

The inner shaft in the upper column feels very stiff & gritty when turning, so will call Westfield about that tomorrow.

In the meantime, I cannot find the infamous spacer that goes on the lower steering column bracket - can someone please post a picture of what I'm looking for and any suggestion on which box it might be in? Also, it's not obvious which are the nuts & bolts for the upper column - any hints?

Hopefully start drilling holes tomorrow...

Benrobson2999

That’s the one Steve, my experience it prob is somewhere you wouldn’t expect it to be! :)

image.jpg

• Like 1
Benrobson2999

Also I remember not finding the bolts. I think in the end I used some which were for the steering rack and hoped to find the others later somewhere else. I had some spare M8 bolts and lock nuts too kicking around too

SteveB21

Thanks Ben - now I know what I'm looking for!  Back to the boxes...

MikeJG

I think I ended up finding my own for that application too. The nuts and bolts box is a kit made up several centuries ago for the "standard" kit of 1923 and unchanged since and whenever a change has been made they add some others in a bag somewhere else if they remember but leave the standard kit alone. Hence I have nearly finished and only used half the fasteners in the fasteners box but spent £100~ on fasteners. LOL

• Like 1
Benrobson2999

Yep. I have a shelf of bags of nuts and bolts and rivets etc. I started off trying to use what is labelled in the bag for the task but you quickly realise they are often jumbled up with extras not required and just to use what you need. It will all go in my spares nuts and bolts box at the end!