Which MAF sensor

The_big_1

The_big_1

Hi all,

In the middle of a build, not a Westfield but very similar. So lucking to use the Westfield intake on my Zetec Blacktop engine using the original inley manifold. The original Zetec is a sort of joint pipe with the MAF fitted. On the Westfield instalation, which MAF is fitted and where?

Many thanks!!!!

Michael Whitworth

Do any Westfields actually run a MAF sensor? As most that I have seen have custom management systems.

They rely mainly on TPS for load but some might also utilise a map sensor too.

This is not authoritative as I am not familiar with modern Westfields. lol 

The_big_1

Lol yeah I guess that could be possible. Just seeing whats out there. Most injection systems need a MAF so the inlet air temp is known etc. Engine runs different if its say 5 degrees air temp or 25 degrees, be interested to know how the Westfield would deal with this without a MAF

Michael Whitworth

Separate intake air temp sensor or TMAP

The_big_1

Hi ya, do you know which one or where its mounted, I guess in the intake pipe? I guess if running standard Ford setup, I could fit an original MAF in the same place?

Michael Whitworth

I have no idea as both my Westfields are on Redtops with ITBs. The IATS is mounted on the Air filter back plate. And is a common 2 pin Bosch type.

Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary

Most modern Westfields use aftermarket ecu’s, not the original car manufactures system. Very, very few of the type of aftermarket ECU used in Westfields are even compatible with MAF sensors, so the topic just doesn’t come up.

As a result, most use a very basic, but very effective setup, of TPS, (throttle position sensor) air temp sensor, water temp sensor, and apart from a Lambda sensor, that’s frequently it. (There are exceptions, we have kits called single donor vehicles, built around as much as possible of a Mazda MX5, which use the Mazda ECU and I think MAF sensor)

Chris King - Webmaster

I think some folk on Locostbuilders.co.uk use std ECU on some builds - might be more info there?

Ian Kinder (Bagpuss) - Joint Peak District AO
On 10/10/2020 at 21:03, The_big_1 said:

Lol yeah I guess that could be possible. Just seeing whats out there. Most injection systems need a MAF so the inlet air temp is known etc. Engine runs different if its say 5 degrees air temp or 25 degrees, be interested to know how the Westfield would deal with this without a MAF

MAF = mass air flow. It's uses a heated wire in front on a sensor to detect the change in temperature, caused by the air flow and hence it's a good method to measure the air consumed by an engine. Some also feature inlet air temperature measurement too.

Gary Taylor - Scotland AO

On the Mazda engined builds where I have used the std ecu the Mazda ecu needs to register a signal from the maf on start up if it doesn’t it cuts the fuel / ignition circuit after a predetermined time. ( resets after turning ignition off then on again)

Doesn’t matter where it goes in the intake line . The supercharged version it was immediately after the filter before all the s/c gubbins on my white westy its immediately before the throttle body.

On the new westy having Individual throttle bodies and using an me221 ecu , the ecu uses a manifold air pressure ( map) takeoff.

As well as TPS AND AIT ( air intake temperature) sensor on each set up

Sorry I cant comment on the ford setup , it may help aswell if you say which ecu you have ( sorry if I missed that earlier)

good luck

Ian Podmore

I have one mine, a Zetec 1800 from 1996. Running the Ford EEC IV ECU.

The MAF sensor is at the entry of the inlet pipe to the throttle body. This is a standard Ford item that runs over the cam cover then above exhaust side to above thermostat housing.

I changed the original airbox to a cone filter mounted directly to the MAF sensor.