Cat cams

Has anyone had any dealings/tried them.

I'm thinking of giving them a try while engine is out!

They are not far off piper/kent prices.

Silly name i agree, but I'm liking the upfront info on website.

Have you had a look at Newman cams? lots of info on there website and a good read too, offers lots of different cam durations as to where you want your power band , i.e. all at 5000+ revs (on track) or lower down where you can use it everyday 3500 (on the road) think about what its for rather than how much it gives .Hope it helps cheers Andy

• Like 1
Rush Motorspork

Doesn’t answer the question, but another vote here for Newman. 

• Like 1
Ian Kinder (Bagpuss) - Joint Peak District AO
15 hours ago, MR.C said:

Any links to the website showing which one you are suggesting?

May help to get more input if you edit the post title to add your engine type. As you can see above, others put their car details including Engine in their profile. Just ask if you need help to do this etc.

• Like 1
clansman
17 hours ago, MR.C said:

As Gary says I have them fitted in my 2.0 Silvertop with almost 200bhp. I can't fault Cat cams service and assistance when I discovered that the engine builder didn't follow their clearly stated instructions when fitting their cams. He " forgot " to fit the required valve springs!! Caused damage to both cams, Cat cams re-profiled them and returned to me from Belgium free of charge and that was almost 2 yrs after initial build. As for the engine builder......another story!!!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On their site it says you can run OEM springs/retainers with their fast road cams.

Which would make the job a bit more cost effective!

Andrzej

In my current Zetec 2.0 are CATCAMS 2290317. Power 211Hp, 224 Nm Torque ( plus ITB + head porting) , but rest of the engine ist standart (valves , pistons etc). No hestiation on idling , starting on touch of the button etc - works like road engine just stronger.

In the other engine (needs big rebuild but camshafts are untouched) there are more aggressive camshafts from CATCAMS  (do not remember the exact number now) - according to previous owner it was producin approx 250 HP, but - needs other pistons (deeper pockets for valves propablu due to longer valve travel ? ) 

• Like 1

If i go ahead will definitely get head ported.

And cams, was looking at the 312 profile.

Andrzej that's some good figures........ 

Andrzej

I have found the graph, even found one more horse ;)

Below also graph from flowbench before and after porting. Significant flow increase, so not only camshafts play a role here. 

230178227_Hamowniawykreswestfield.jpg.de700e5c14b0ac39a674e8b8f846eba2.jpg

Clipboard01.jpg

the stoat

I used them in my 205 GTi with an Mi16 engine installed.  I thought they were great.

Just to give a different perspective until you are striving for big power you may not need any porting.  Those pesky engine development engineers know what they are doing, some aftermarket porters less so.  While @Andrzej has had good results, and the data to back it up, you may not get much benefit for a good deal of cost.

• Like 1

I don't know, I just think a good head job plus cams should yield 30hp.

Which will do me🙂

clansman
7 hours ago, MR.C said:

On their site it says you can run OEM springs/retainers with their fast road cams.

Which would make the job a bit more cost effective!

With the cams I've got they stipulated valve springs....he didn't fit them. Blamed every one else under the sun bar himself. 

With the race cams it says you need springs, so you fit them.

For fast road they don't list any!