Torque wrench

Bandageman

I’ve recently bought a Westie and plan to do my own servicing etc. My 2 x torque wrenches (low and high reading) are both well over 30 years old but not sure if they’re still ok. What’s cost for calibrating them, and is there a trusted lab I could get them done. Just wondering if I’d be better/safer buying new based on posts. Based in Glasgow area.

Ian Kinder (Bagpuss) - Joint Peak District AO

Here's how you can check the accuracy of your torque wrench, though I'd suggest using a bolt held in a vice rather than risking damaged to a tin top / alloy wheel: 

I'd also suggest checking at or around the value your using it for. E.g. Most are adjustable over a quite wide range and if you've adjusted it to be accurate at 200Nm it may be out at 20Nm. I always store mine with it set on min. Which is good practice.

Barnsley John
On 15/10/2020 at 07:33, Ian Kinder (Bagpuss) - Joint Peak District AO said:

Here's how you can check the accuracy of your torque wrench, though I'd suggest using a bolt held in a vice rather than risking damaged to a tin top / alloy wheel: 

I'd also suggest checking at or around the value your using it for. E.g. Most are adjustable over a quite wide range and if you've adjusted it to be accurate at 200Nm it may be out at 20Nm. I always store mine with it set on min. Which is good practice.

I read as well to store your torque  wrench with no tension

• Thanks 1
Bandageman

Local calibration station are quoting me £30 for my up to 30Nm torque wrench and £40 for torque wrench 40 - 70 Nm. Not sure if this is legit,  but seems a bit like profiteering to me. surely calibration of a torque wrench is standard, or am I being naive?

Bandageman

Hi Morris, thanks for that. I kinda thought that the calibration place I went to was taking the mickey. Or maybe they just deal with commercial premises who need to have their Teng/Snap-on torque wrenches calibrated and it’s worth it for them, as these things cost several hundred pounds. I’ll just order from eBay I think.

Rush Motorsport
7 minutes ago, Morris said:

@BandagemanI've just bought one of these Sealey jobs that comes with a calibration certificate. Less than £40 and you can be sure it was accurate at least when it was calibrated...😀!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/133114108671

£270 down to £38?

Seems legit.

Morris

Yes, that discount is somewhat unbelievable!

Bandageman

👍 Just snapped one of these up. Let’s hope we’re all pleasantly surprised.

• Like 1
Morris
34 minutes ago, Bandageman said:

👍 Just snapped one of these up. Let’s hope we’re all pleasantly surprised.

Yes, hope so. It looks very much like my 30 year old Draper wrench but in black.

Seems to be sold in many places at a similar price.

Steve (sdh2903)

That's an absolute spitting image of my teng one I linked to at the start of the thread. I'd imagine all must be made by the same manufacturer with different branding. 

• Like 1