Torque wrench

Morris

Anyone who has seen my XI build log will have read about my engine fastener torque setting issues that resulted from my torque wrench having lost its accuracy over the years.

I therefore need to buy another one, so can anyone recommend one that comes with a calibration certificate, is reliable and costs less than £40?

Many thanks.

Morris.

9 minutes ago, Morris said:

I therefore need to buy another one, so can anyone recommend one that comes with a calibration certificate, is reliable and costs less than £40?

Not sure such a thing exists unfortunately... I would spend a bit more if you can, given the costs and consequences of a job involving it going tits up!

Steve (sdh2903)

What torque range? 

I have one of these, comes with a calibration cert (and I've tested it to be accurate on the torque tester at work) and an angle gauge but you'll need to up the budget 

https://www.screwfix.com/p/teng-tools-torque-wrench-1-2-x-18-/22796?tc=DA9&ds_kid=92700046638549236&gclsrc=aw.ds&ds_rl=1243318&ds_rl=1241687&ds_rl=1245250&gclid=Cj0KCQjwt4X8BRCPARIsABmcnOpZ3drTsR8EJurFKRsTF7tvJOMnvH1D4iBSe9FD0Eb7mNRfK712_HkaAnpXEALw_wcB

The Halfords advanced ones are good aswell but again not for 40 quid. 

Ian Kinder (Bagpuss) - Joint Peak District AO

We have them calibrated at work and every year we're told by the cal house that they can't calibrate them (as they have miraculously become faulty) and we need to buy new ones and some times they've not even been used in the last 12 months. Hence I'd not waste money on one with a cal cert!

If you're working on a nuclear sub/aerospace etc, then perhaps a precise torque wrench is vital, most car stuff isn't so critical!

If you get one of these 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/130875865242

You just attach it to a bar or wrench, You can attached any torque wrench you have now to it  and calibrate it with this ,it's also accurate to plus or minus 2% and it dose angle torque, 

I've got the same thing in a torque wrench it's the nuts nuts

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/352309878537

Tony 

1 hour ago, 6carjon said:

Suspiciously cheap when screwfix and machinemart are £60...

I have one as part of a set and its been decent, never far enough away from my 'good' one.

Steve (sdh2903)
1 hour ago, Ian Kinder (Bagpuss) - Joint Peak District AO said:

We have them calibrated at work and every year we're told by the cal house that they can't calibrate them (as they have miraculously become faulty) and we need to buy new ones and some times they've not even been used in the last 12 months. Hence I'd not waste money on one with a cal cert!

If you're working on a nuclear sub/aerospace etc, then perhaps a precise torque wrench is vital, most car stuff isn't so critical!

Your cal company are pulling your pants down. We have torque wrenches at work ranging from 10lbin up to around 750lbft which go away for cal every 12 months. In the last 10 years I've never known one come back faulty. And some of the regularly used ones don't have an easy life. Some of those are 30+ years old.

Steve (sdh2903)
14 minutes ago, AdamR said:

Suspiciously cheap when screwfix and machinemart are £60...

I have one as part of a set and its been decent, never far enough away from my 'good' one.

That's only a 3/8 vs the 1/2 at screw fix. 

Many thanks chaps - I appreciate all the links. Yes, I should up my budget somewhat given the consequences of incorrect torques especially on my engine.

I have now seen this Sealey AK624B on eBay. 1/2" drive, cal cert, 20 - 150 lbs.ft. this could fit the bill at £37.95:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/133114108671

• Like 1
Rush Motorsport
57 minutes ago, Michael Whitworth said:

Just spotted this.

https://www.aldi.co.uk/auto-xs-torque-wrench/p/801793417047500

I cant vouch for how good or accurate it is.

I’ve had that for a few years. It’s been fine. I’d trust it on wheel nuts but not so sure on engine bits.

Ian Kinder (Bagpuss) - Joint Peak District AO
14 hours ago, Steve (sdh2903) said:

Your cal company are pulling your pants down.

I know! It's not my decision. As well as the torque wrenches they occasional claim water damage to multimeters. The Engineer who's meter it is. Knows it's not been near water etc, but we can't prove it as you can be certain it will be wet when they send it back!

14 hours ago, Steve (sdh2903) said:

We have torque wrenches at work ranging from 10lbin up to around 750lbft which go away for cal every 12 months. In the last 10 years I've never known one come back faulty. And some of the regularly used ones don't have an easy life. Some of those are 30+ years old.

Are you able to advise who cal's yours @Steve (sdh2903) (PM's fine if you don't wish to publish on here).

We did try another Cal house some time ago, however there turnaround time performance was worse.