OMEX ITB Upgrade kit for Zetec Blacktop

AndyIoM

Hi all,

I am looking at purchasing the Omex ITB upgrade kit from Westfield and am just after some feedback on difficulty of fitting and initial setup / balancing? Car currently has the standard TB with an Omex 600 ecu (standard factory build).

Thanks,

Andy

jonjh1964

Buy yourself  synchrometer (best to buy as ITBs occasionally need a rebalance) and it's a straight forward job to fit and balance the ITBs, you'll also need a new map for the Omex 600.

• Like 1

To make the most of it, you will need to get it on the rolling road. For OMEX, if you can make it to Northampton MOrtorsport, then you wont go far wrong.

• Like 1
Chris King - Webmaster
3 minutes ago, Jenko said:

can make it to Northampton MOrtorsport

Bit of a hike from the world famous TT course 😁

• Haha 1
27 minutes ago, Chris King - Webmaster said:

Bit of a hike from the world famous TT course 😁

It is,  but if we ever get the restrictions on travel lifted (2 weeks mandatory self isolation on return to the island), I have family in Northants, so a trip to NMS would be on the cards :) 

Ian Kinder (Bagpuss) - Joint Peak District AO

Hi @AndyIoM as per- 

I've moved your post here. I hope you get suitable answers. TB's are great and the induction roar is addictive. I'm sure the map as supplied with the kit will be fine most of the time. Smaller gains / improvements are likely with bespoke tune with someone like NMS, however I'd not see this as a reason not to fit them. I'm sure there's plenty on here who've done the same with your engine and can confirm.

Nick Mace

I've fitted them and it was pretty straightforward.

The instructions for putting the new map on aren't great, but I had a 12 year old son to help me with the software side of things so we got there!

I've been driving mine with the standard map, but I think it could do with a rolling road session.  I just haven't got around to sorting that out yet (partly because I haven't found anyone in the South that seems to do it).  It seems to run a bit rich and is a bit thirsty on fuel.

• Like 1
Chris King - Webmaster
35 minutes ago, Ian Kinder (Bagpuss) - Joint Peak District AO said:

moved your post here.

Damn! Missed one 🤣

49 minutes ago, AndyIoM said:

a trip to NMS would be on the cards

I wouldn’t have thought the island would be short on rolling roads?

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, AndyIoM said:

It is,  but if we ever get the restrictions on travel lifted (2 weeks mandatory self isolation on return to the island), I have family in Northants, so a trip to NMS would be on the cards :) 

See Chris...I knew that, thats why I suggested NMS 😛

• Haha 2
Ian Kinder (Bagpuss) - Joint Peak District AO
45 minutes ago, Chris King - Webmaster said:

Damn! Missed one 🤣

I wouldn’t have thought the island would be short on rolling roads?

Surely the TT circuit would be ideal for on the road mapping 😎

• Like 1
Rhett - Joint Black Country AO

I swapped from standard fuel injection to ITBs supplied by WF and ran with the map that came with the ITB kit without issue for a few years. Swapping over was not a big problem. For the initial setup I did have the luxury of popping to Westfield to get the ITBs balanced but as they can go out of balance I have learned to balance them myself now.

Regardless of the difference in actual power made the difference in the driving experience was very very noticeable. With the ITBs it revered harder, faster and there seemed to be even more throttle travel.

8 hours ago, Ian Kinder (Bagpuss) - Joint Peak District AO said:

Hi @AndyIoM as per- 

I've moved your post here. I hope you get suitable answers. TB's are great and the induction roar is addictive. I'm sure the map as supplied with the kit will be fine most of the time. Smaller gains / improvements are likely with bespoke tune with someone like NMS, however I'd not see this as a reason not to fit them. I'm sure there's plenty on here who've done the same with your engine and can confirm.

Oops - my bad! Thanks @Ian Kinder (Bagpuss) - Joint Peak District AO!

• Thanks 1

Thanks all for the replies - decision made - about to order them! :) 

Must admit the TT course is a pretty good test track - all 37.75 miles of it 😛

• Like 2