Looking for a new daily driver

Paul Hurdsfield - Joint Manchester AO

Ok chaps I'm looking for opinions here.

My current car is s 2013 Mondeo Estate Titanium X 2.0ltr diesel 163 bhp, I've had it from new and its been great, only done done 45,000 miles, it tows my 1400kg caravan at 32mpg and will do over 50 mpg on a long run solo, I've never had a car for over 7 years before so I keep thinking it's time for a change, but what do I get, to be honest the Mondeo is probably a little bit big for a couple of little oldies :d I've always been a Ford man.

I keep thinking about an SUV :o  I know nothing about these things, I've just had test drives in a Ford Kuga and a Volkswagon Tiguan.

The Kuga I fancy is the Vignale model, 2.0ltr diesel 190 bhp, 8 speed auto, its got every toy you could ever want and more (I like toys in my cars)

I can get one brand new online for a good price from the same place I got my Mondeo from, and I would happily deal with them again.

The Tiguan I drove at a local dealer is the SEL model 2.0ltr diesel 190 bhp dsg auto gearbox, that too has lots of toys, It's less than a year old, 4k on the clock and is roughly the same price as the new Kuga.

So who has had a Tiguan and what are your views on them? good or bad, same with the Kuga too.

Thanks in advance. :t-up:

2 hours ago, Paul Hurdsfield said:

I've always been a Ford man.

I keep thinking about an SUV :o  I know nothing about these things, I've just had test drives in a Ford Kuga and a Volkswagon Tiguan.

Just going through this myself as I mentioned elsewhere. Like you I've been Ford diesel (Mondeo and Focus) for 20ish years. The current crop of Ford diesels (and petrols to be honest) just don't do it for me. My 2.0L turbo diesel stil pulls like a train. I suspect the current crop of low emission, small turbo cars may not provide the oomph I'm looking for.

I am close to replacing the current Focus diesel barge and I have narrowed it down to BMW 1 or 2 series, Lexus IS or Volvo C30 or V40 in either petrol or diesel but I'm hoping diesel. My issue there is I have the ULEZ to worry about and to get through a diesel must be Euro 6, whereas petrol can be Euro 4.

Paul, I purchased a Tiguan last year with just 2500miles on the clock mines a 4 motion ...... its been brilliant, get one with the Dyno audio system upgrade and heated massage seat, great for those long drives, DSG auto box is excellent and used with the ACC is so easy to drive. Mine also had a stowaway VW fitted tow-bar, really neat. The LED headlights with auto-dip are really good on dark nights. Mines the model down from the R-Line, however has all the same gizmos and gadgets it simply doesn't have alloy pedals and some external bling. Engine smooth and can easily get just under 50mpg on a mway run in eco mode with ACC on. Overall vey comfortable to drive

I looked at Kuga's to and the bigger unit Ford do, nice cars lots of kit, just that the VW felt more solid in the build and a nicer drive.

• Like 1

I'm not sure how good the ford Auto gearbox is compared with the VAG one, where a lot of modern Autos help increase efficiency while also improving performace, the ford ones don't. I can't say I've experienced driving with the ford auto but I've driven a few DSG equiped cars and that gearbox is very impressive indeed. When I changed my car last time the Tiguan was on my short list the ford wasn't. (I'm not anti Ford, I've had more Fords than any other make by quite some margin)

Just remembered, I had a short drive in a Merc GL A (I think) diesel. Really really nice and the gearbox was truly surprising. I popped it in manual and had a bit of a go and it was ace, close enough for to consider that maybe auto's aren't so bad after all. I must be getting old... :devil: 

• Like 2

I have a Tiguan, cracking dsg, 50mpg, 4motion(?) but it's a big, heavy car. I don't really like it but tows a trailer well and my wife likes it. My Rocketeer MX-5 on the other hand is just the opposite!! 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Blatman said:

My 2.0L turbo diesel stil pulls like a train. I suspect the current crop of low emission, small turbo cars may not provide the oomph I'm looking for.

Yeah but I'm looking at the 2.0ltr 190bhp version, I think that should pull ok :d

1 hour ago, Rory's Dad said:

I have a Tiguan, cracking dsg, 50mpg, 4motion(?) but it's a big, heavy car. I don't really like it but tows a trailer well and my wife likes it. My Rocketeer MX-5 on the other hand is just the opposite!! 

What engine is in that one Martin?

I'm a massive fan of the dual clutch transmission and had a few  company cars with them. Enough to convert me away from manual when I buy my own. 

For the days when you want to stick shift its there on the lever or paddles. Much more like the racing car. Very high on my wish list.

• Like 1

My wife has had both the Tiguan and then the Kuga. Out of the two the Tiguan is by far the superior car and a much nicer experience ... both for driving and just the look & feel of the interior. 

However she's now gone for the Outlander and this is head and shoulders above either of the above. I would even go as far as saying it's the best car we've owned ... and I'm saying that being the owner of a new Vogue and a 911!

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Arm said:

I'm a massive fan of the dual clutch transmission and had a few  company cars with them. Enough to convert me away from manual when I buy my own. 

For the days when you want to stick shift its there on the lever or paddles. Much more like the racing car. Very high on my wish list.

Knowing where you worked Ash,  I'm assuming VAG group cars.  I agree they're a great box to drive with the lightening fast changes, compared to slushmatics. I changed from an 2015 F Chassis 3 series to the newer G chassis this year and the same box is markedly improved, still not DSG fast on changes but clearly the software has been tweaked and it's smooth even on sport setting.

A car focused friend had a DSG Golf and it soon spat it's innards out through the transmission casing and other colleagues with DSG's have had poor service from dealer who clearly don't have a clue with computer controlled boxes etc. I'd be very wary of owning a DSG car out of warranty.

interesting topic - as I am considering similar.. currently have a 5 door BMW 1 series 5 door - great for me and the missus.. diesel 2l turbo I think around 150BHP..done about 85k miles and its just great for everything.. I am just looking for something a bit taller because of dodgy back... The bm pulls the westy on trailer really easily.. 

Have been looking at X1 or Tiguan..

I believe a modern auto is the way forward.. in traffic is great, on motorway is great and get little chance for spirited driving.. and if i do either use sport mode or take the Westy out!

Got one :d 

InkedIMG_4431_LI.thumb.jpg.4e80e26c69170139dd3c05d34cae8a8e.jpg

• Like 5