Lsd for my live axle

Ben(EBD-ENG)

Ben(EBD-ENG)

So project diff is a goer. 

Talk to me about the difference between an atb and a plated. My car is track only. Not road legal so not bothered about road compliance 

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ben(EBD-ENG)

• Rush Motorspork

• Andrew

• AdamR

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Evidence points to the contrary 🤣

Lol. If an open is more forgiving in the wet then. It must be the suspension. Obviously it can't be my driving skill. So it must be that 

ATBs don’t require any maintenance. Plated diffs need the plates replacing eventually.    ATBs don’t work if you have a wheel in the air, so not great if you’re a kerb monster. Plated diffs

Rush Motorspork

ATBs don’t require any maintenance. Plated diffs need the plates replacing eventually. 

ATBs don’t work if you have a wheel in the air, so not great if you’re a kerb monster. Plated diffs allow even madder skidz.

Easy to understand explanation here

https://www.carthrottle.com/post/whats-the-difference-between-geared-and-plated-limited-slip-differentials/

(I’ve got a plated diff) 

• Like 1
Ben(EBD-ENG)
1 hour ago, Rush Motorsport said:

ATBs don’t require any maintenance. Plated diffs need the plates replacing eventually. 

ATBs don’t work if you have a wheel in the air, so not great if you’re a kerb monster. Plated diffs allow even madder skidz.

Easy to understand explanation here

https://www.carthrottle.com/post/whats-the-difference-between-geared-and-plated-limited-slip-differentials/

(I’ve got a plated diff) 

Who fitted yours? 

Rush Motorspork

Luke, but only because the car was up there. I bet procomp would do it and a bit more local. 

Ben(EBD-ENG)

am i right in thinking that Timken bearings are the best for the live axle

Andrew
10 minutes ago, Ben(EBD-ENG) said:

am i right in thinking that Timken bearings are the best for the live axle

I dont think I've ever had to change my live axle bearings because of bearing failure.. but I've had to swap a few because of the integral oil seal failing. The last one's I fitted were Timken, and so far so good.

Ben(EBD-ENG)
20 minutes ago, Andrew said:

I dont think I've ever had to change my live axle bearings because of bearing failure.. but I've had to swap a few because of the integral oil seal failing. The last one's I fitted were Timken, and so far so good.

i thought i might aswell change them all as im fitting a diff.

Andrew
2 hours ago, Ben(EBD-ENG) said:

i thought i might aswell change them all as im fitting a diff.

Tbh, if the bearings aren't worn / making a noise, and the seals aren't leaking, I'd be inclined to leave them be. It's not a big job to change them with the axle in situ if you have to at a later date.

Ben(EBD-ENG)
51 minutes ago, Andrew said:

Tbh, if the bearings aren't worn / making a noise, and the seals aren't leaking, I'd be inclined to leave them be. It's not a big job to change them with the axle in situ if you have to at a later date.

the seal is no more by the looks of it

Andrew
48 minutes ago, Ben(EBD-ENG) said:

the seal is no more by the looks of it

It is an ex seal. 🙂 Has it been leaking then? Btw, I'm talking about the seals built into the bearing.. not the bearing retainer plate things.. held on with four bolts?

Have you found the source of the knocking sound?

Ben(EBD-ENG)
39 minutes ago, Andrew said:

It is an ex seal. 🙂 Has it been leaking then? Btw, I'm talking about the seals built into the bearing.. not the bearing retainer plate things.. held on with four bolts?

Have you found the source of the knocking sound?

It hasn't been leaking it looks like it's been gummed up with sealant. I haven't found anything obvious other than there seems to be a lot of back and forth movement between the crown wheel and pinion. But I can't be sure of this yet as I haven't found the info telling me how much there should be.