• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Matt Seabrook

• mb893

• Blatman

• scruffythefirst

scooby you cant be serious can you  :bangshead:  every man and his muppet knows why vx's are better than a zetec  :arse: i arn't even going to give you any reasons for asking such a stupid question  :arse:  ;)

but i am sure somone will be allong soon to tell you  :t-up:

i think deep down inside every zetec owner knows that vx,s are better  :oops:

I think the phrase 'Cosworth Engineering' springs to mind ;)

The VX engine has a lot going for it, even now... Lots of people winge about the weight, but it's not too bad... I even heard say it's a masterpeice of modern lightweight iron metalurgy!!! (there is an alloy block for it, but it is very delicate)

The VX may be superceeded by the Duratec as the power engine of choice, certainly they will be in plentiful supply. But many of the tuners I have spoken to say it's more difficult to tune than the VX - similarities have been drawn to the ecotec engine, in that it will take some time to learn the tricks. THat has been out 10 years now? We are still learning how to make that engine push...

There also seem to have been problems sustaining power without pieces going pop, so they are still learning which bits need to be replaced... The limits are a bit lower than the VX as everything is designed/built to exact tolerances... i.e. lower ones... including the block... we are still learning with this engine...

At the end of the day you seem to have to replace and do the same things to both the engines to get big horsepower (Crank, Rods, Pistons, Valves, guides, a bit of porting and a drysump + throbble botties, perhaps a bit more valve work on the duratec) and you get 275-300 bhp.

So, do all this to a Zetec and you get....??? a zetec but not 300hp... the head is not up to it and it's heavy

A VX... 300 reliable horsepower

A Duratec 275 Horsepower on 20 less KG's and be careful for a while we havn't made many of these...

Time will tell, I wouldn't be surprised if in 5 years everybody is running Duratec, especially as the VX engines are getting rare now... Where are they all going????

enough...

...©

mr psycho they are all going to a house near me  :t-up: mr mason's house  :t-up: he's got loooooooooooooooooooads of em  :arse: all the zetec's seem to be in scrap yards  ;)

scooby you cant be serious can you  :bangshead:  every man and his muppet knows why vx's are better than a zetec  :arse: i arn't even going to give you any reasons for asking such a stupid question  :arse:  ;)

but i am sure somone will be allong soon to tell you  :t-up:

i think deep down inside every zetec owner knows that vx,s are better  :oops:

"because you cant give me any GOOD feedback"

CAN YOU !!!!    :angry:  :arse:  :p

"because you cant give me any GOOD feedback"

CAN YOU !!!!    

Oh no, oh dear - Scooby aka Justin may I ask if you have ever met Steve "The Diplomat" Davies  :D  :D  :devil:  :devil:  :D

Cos that is a big gauntlet that you've just thrown down  :D  :D  :D  expect the challenge to be met  :devil:  :D  :devil:  :D

*sits back and waits*   Popcorn and Ki-Ora anyone  :D  :D

VX engines are getting rare now... Where are they all going????

If you read MIGWEB they're all going into Nova's  :(  :arse:  :arse:   :bangshead:  :bangshead:  :bangshead:

Scooby (and the rest of you) do a f******g search :D

Vx Forever :t-up:  :t-up:  :t-up:  :t-up:  :t-up:  :t-up:  :t-up:  :t-up:  :t-up:  :t-up:  :t-up:  :t-up:  :t-up:  :t-up:  :t-up:  :t-up:  :t-up:

It's just better, learn to accept it

If you don't believe me ring dunnell/raceline and they will tell you exactly the same, it's :arse:

Cheers

Dave

To answer the question....

Do *nothing* to a Zetec, except strap some 45's to it. You'll get around 150ish bhp. Do the same to a Vx, and you'll get roughty 20bhp more.

Spend some time/effort/money on the Zetec to find the extra 20bhp. Spend the same time/effort/money on a Vx, and it's ahead again.

Spend as much as you want on a Zetec. Spend the same on a Vx, and the Vx will be more powerful. The weight difference between the two engines is small enough to not be a seriuos consideration.

Finally, look at lap times or results for any race or sprint series where similarly specced Zetec and Vx engined cars compete. The Zetec won't top the time sheets. I'm pretty sure that in the Class 2B sprint class, there are no Zetecs that hold the class 2B course record for any venue, anywhere in the UK......

So, buy a Zetec, don't win.........  :p:p:p

That should do it......  :D:D:D

Does this mean your bringing the green car out to play in the speed series next year then Blatters ?

:D:D