Wide body Westie wanted- BOUGHT

Bandageman

Hi folks. I’m new to the forum and club, and currently looking for a wide bodied Westie. I plan to use it purely for touring with my wife, and local hoonery around town and country, so not looking for race spec in any way with roll cages etc. Spec I’m ideally looking for is as follows but not absolutely set in stone (I’m aware that I may be chancing my arm, but hey, who knows if somebody is ready to upgrade:

Would  prefer non Q plate, (no snobbery) just I’ve got my cherished number plate from my last vehicle currently on retention

possible 2005+ (long shot maybe so not a deal breaker if earlier)

Zetec engine (not fussed re power output) with low miles preferably

not motorbike engine

LSD

Bodywork anything but primary colour (would prefer navy/BRG/dark red/cream, these sort of colours) 

Comfortable classy interior (I know it’s not a Bentley, but looking for nice)

leather seats (maybe 2 tone)

not bothered 4 point or inertia belts

fully carpeted

Full weather gear and doors

boot area

recent tyres

full windscreen

Overall package is more important than any one spec

If anyone knows of, or has a car they’re selling in next few months please contact me on 0787 056 7909. I live in Glasgow, but prepared to travel countrywide for the right car, with a good history at the right price. I’ll update post once I’ve found a car, so post could run for a while and is still valid if I don’t mark it as “(FOUND)” 

thanks

Duncan

• Like 2

You can cross LSD off the essential list if it’s for touring, good luck with the search!

Thanks RussH. Just one of the list I was compiling, but good to know. May have considered doing the very occasional track experience at our local Knockhill, but then again maybe not. Just looking for a nice clean car to drive and spend a ridiculous amount of time fettling with!!! 

• Like 1

I’ve got a wide scuttle for sale if you want to start building your own 😄

Forget about the age of registration... after the 3rd or 4th year they al tend to equalize the price, and the car is worth for its condition and parts, not for the age of the chassis. Unless you are after a brand new car, the registration date is irrelevant.

And I would seriously re-consider the Q-plate... Is a great thing to have a "Q-plate" get out of jail card, regarding to emissions, fog lights and reverses... regulations are much more relaxed in the MOT. In fact I would never consider a non q-plate kit car. I don´t want to deal with catalytic converters, and emissions in a car with ITbs and possibly cams...

2 hours ago, maurici said:

Forget about the age of registration... after the 3rd or 4th year they al tend to equalize the price, and the car is worth for its condition and parts, not for the age of the chassis. Unless you are after a brand new car, the registration date is irrelevant.

And I would seriously re-consider the Q-plate... Is a great thing to have a "Q-plate" get out of jail card, regarding to emissions, fog lights and reverses... regulations are much more relaxed in the MOT. In fact I would never consider a non q-plate kit car. I don´t want to deal with catalytic converters, and emissions in a car with ITbs and possibly cams...

Totally agree Maurici. Always down to spec and condition over age on our cars. Also, I deliberately registered mine with a Q for the reasons you mention - but Duncan wants to fit a private plate, so a Q is off the shopping list. 

You could get a plate made and put “2 SLO” on for Trackdays?

We’re drifting way off topic - which a bit unfair on @Bandageman’s wanted add (let me know if you want this tidied up Duncan)

1 hour ago, Chris King - Webmaster said:

We’re drifting way off topic - which a bit unfair on @Bandageman’s wanted add (let me know if you want this tidied up Duncan)

🤣🤣 a bit of welcome banter... not that bad.

Aside of rush´s usual and harmless trolling, some good advice is been given here.

• Like 1

I will add a bit more stuff here.

I see the car is wanted for touring and maybe not a track toy. Is fair enoug. However, (Im making the assumption the prospective new owner is new to kit cars) Things like "full weather gear, leather seats, cosy interior"... That does not happens to define a kit car as a tourer.

Is down to the setup, and how well will handle a b-road over the amenities that the op expects to give him a more liveable daily usage. I would really encourage you to go and see/try some cars before commiting to a shopping list... This cars are different to say the least.

Some examples:

"full weather gear"

You will find out that the full roof of a westfield is not particularly great, and when it rains enough to actually be of any use, you should not be with the car on the road. A bikini top, however, is far more manageable, will protect you from the average british weather just as good, and goes up and down easily. Many owners find themselves using exclusively the bikini top over the full weather gear.

Leather seats:

I really encourage you to try before you deciede again. I find the  Average kit car "leather (actually normally vinyl) seat" in any of their variants, to be several shades of rubbish. It pretty much deppends of your size, butt and back sensitivity and preferred driving position... but 9 out of 10 times, a DECENT fiberglass shell with some padding is far better than the kit car posh seats. And when I say decent, I mean JK-composites or Tillet or so... not precisely kitcardirect.

4 point or inertia belts:

For your own safety, you want propper harnesses, no matter how tourer the intention is.

Confortable classy interior:

That is up to taste... again... no matter how carpeted and classi she is, it would be just a different shade of unconfortable, and indeed... is not a bentley (what do I know about it... 🤣) but interior is one of the easily sortable things in this cars... so dont discard one with a dated or more sporty interior (some carbon or aluminium instead of vinyl or carpet)... as again, overall setup and (As you well have said) overall package will be far more important.

All of this... basically to encourage you to try a few and go and rethink the wish list. (or not!!).

Good luck anyway!

• Like 2

On 29/09/2020 at 22:19, Bandageman said:

Hi folks. I’m new to the forum and club, and currently looking for a wide bodied Westie. I plan to use it purely for touring with my wife, and local hoonery around town and country, so not looking for race spec in any way with roll cages etc. Spec I’m ideally looking for is as follows but not absolutely set in stone (I’m aware that I may be chancing my arm, but hey, who knows if somebody is ready to upgrade:

Would  prefer non Q plate, (no snobbery) just I’ve got my cherished number plate from my last vehicle currently on retention

not motorbike engine

LSD

Bodywork anything but primary colour (would prefer navy/BRG/dark red/cream, these sort of colours) 

fully carpeted

boot area

recent tyres

full windscreen

If anyone knows of, or has a car they’re selling in next few months please contact me on 0787 056 7909. I live in Glasgow, but prepared to travel countrywide for the right car, with a good history at the right price. I’ll update post once I’ve found a car, so post could run for a while and is still valid if I don’t mark it as “(FOUND)” 

thanks

Duncan

On 29/09/2020 at 22:19, Bandageman said:

not motorbike engine

LSD

fully carpeted

boot area

recent tyres

full windscreen

thanks

Duncan

Just put my westie up for sale, see my add in for sale 

As much as I love my current Westfield

I really want to Seriously look at building a sport 250.

But to make it happen, I would need to sell my current Westfield.

I’m just going to see if my current car is of interest to any serious buyers first.

So here are all the details on my current Westfield.

**Electric blue,** **2016 WESTFIELD SEiW, 2.0L Zetec C/W Omex Throttle Bodies & Omex 600ECU,**

**Current Mileage: 2,250 only**

**BODY WORK**

Electric blue gel coat, FW nose / classic rear c/w detachable rear arches

Playskool MSA roll bar

Full heated windscreen

Full Westfield doors

Westfield half hood

Westfield rear arch stone chip carbon effect guards

Rain / dust cover, its only a cheap version but does the job.

**INTERIOR**

Westfield sports seats (black with blue trim)

Westfield heater kit

Lowered Floor

4-Point Titon harnesses (blue)

Quick release steering wheel

Westfield black vinyl dash / branded dials / switch set

Black carpet set

USB socket on Dash

**ENGINE AND DRIVE TRAIN**

2lt Zetec Black top with Omex throttle bodies & Tiger Racing ERA sump

Omex 600 ECU

Type 9 gearbox & Quaife Sierra 5-speed short throw gear lever.

Ford 7.5” Diff – 3.64 ratio (Not LSD)

Team Dynamics Pro Race 1.2 black wheels c/w Toyo 205/50/15 R1R’s

Westfield 4-1 Exhaust / CAT

Westfield wide track adjustable front wishbones

Protec Alloy Bodied Adjustable Shocks

2.4 Quick Rack Steering (rally design)

Westfield branded “Hi-Spec” black brake callipers

**OTHER DETAILS**

I purchased the car aprox 2 years ago, It was built using new components with the exception of the Type 9 gearbox which was bought 2nd hand. It was built by a Westfield club member & IVA in 2016. The car starts / runs well and I’ve had no issues in the mileage completed so far. It has never been set up on a rolling road, but would benefit from a dyno tune. It is set up for road use. It has never been used on a track. There are some small hair/line cracks in the gel coat around the cycle wing mounting bolts, general wear and tear for the year. The car has never been driven in the wet and has been kept in a garage at all times.

I’m a fully qualified mechanical engineer and have been in the industry for over 40 years.

Recent service, oil & filter & plugs. MOT is next due 05/11/19

I have every single document from day one of the build, with photos.

Every receipt in a folder which now comes to almost £17,000 in total.

As I said at the start, I’m in no rush to sell my car, I’m just seeing if there are any genuine buyers out there looking, for a None Q plate, Genuine Westfield.

£15,999 OVNO

• Like 1

Hi Mike

thanks for info re add. Car looks superb from description, but price unfortunately a bit rich for me. I was looking c£10k

duncan

Thanks to all who’ve contributed. I’ve had a long chat with Gary Taylor up this way, who has steered me on right direction. I’m aware that I’m not buying a Bentley, but moving from a big Harley Davidson tourer cause of right wrist issues(Kinda important for motorcycling) I’m looking for a Westie to tinker with in my garage over the winter, then take out for a blat first sign off sunshine. Couldn’t really do that with the big bike unless temp >15C which wasn’t often. Have seen a nice one I’m going to see next week, and a few new Westie “friends” (you are a friendly lot) have given me some good advice to view. I’ve a bit of experience servicing/ repairing cars so hopefully won’t be buying a badun. I’ll update post this time next week.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Picked up westie last week, and spent this week getting to know it. Hoping for a good run Sunday to really experience car. Previous owner gave me a box of bits which included a brand new K&N filter still in box and recharge kit. Thought - I’ll get that on right away as existing filter was filthy. Took me an hour after removing jubilee clip to remove using feeler gauges as it was “welded” with age to Air inlet housing. No wonder mew filter was still in box. Oiled new filter, and when dry, Test drove it, what a difference. 

014646BD-E8A8-4D64-8C46-722FC841A4E1.jpeg

• Like 2

• Ian Kinder (Bagpuss) - Joint Peak District AO changed the title to Wide body Westie wanted- BOUGHT

Picked up westie last week, and spent this week getting to know it. Hoping for a good run Sunday to really experience car. Previous owner gave me a box of bits which included a brand new K&N filter still in box and recharge kit. Thought - I’ll get that on right away as existing filter was filthy. Took me an hour after removing jubilee clip to remove using feeler gauges as it was “welded” with age to Air inlet housing. No wonder mew filter was still in box. Oiled new filter, and when dry, Test drove it, what a difference. 

Important Information

Please review our Terms of Use, Guidelines and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.