S2000 Emissions & Brakes

Hi Everyone (from about the quietest member of the community!),

I'm hoping someone in here might have some advice for me.  I took my car today to the Gillingham IVA test station.  Some good news and bad news came from it,  the examiner was really impressed with the quality of the general build and commented that it was one of the best ones he'd seen.

The bad news however was we weren't able to get the car passed because of two issues.

The first one was the rear axles lock before the front axles under braking,  very odd considering the brakes are all WF supplied, even the braking pipework was done by WF.  Just wondering if anyone has heard of this before or might have some ideas what I can do? I'm absolutely stumped at the moment as to what to do!

The second one was it wouldn't pass the emissions test,  I've enclosed my test results below and just wanted to see if anyone has any ideas as it well a rather unique result!

the tester ran the test a few times and we always got the same thing! 

is it possible that the emissions problem is just caused by the exhaust leaking in the joints when hot?????  the tester was suprised how lean it was running but the engine is running on an omex with the standard WF map.

Any Ideas????

Thanks

Tom

IMG_3694.JPG

IMG_3695.JPG

CraigHew

Put some less aggressive pads in the rear calipers.....

Ian Kinder (Bagpuss) - Joint Peak District AO

@TomW Sorry to read about your fail. I assume you're running Hispec callipers which will have EBC pads in front and rear. How many miles bedding in have you done of the brakes? 

You'll allowed to drive the car to a pre booked MOT testing station, so pick one 20-30 miles from home and the drive there should be sufficient to bed the pads in better, if you've not done already. 

How hot was the car before the emissions test? I can see he's said the cooling fan cut in, but if it was only warmed up by idling in the IVA test centre, it may not have got the cat hot enough to work properly. As above, the drive to an MOT centre with emissions on arrival, may show emissions in spec. If not, check you're Lambda Probe wiring and for exhaust air leaks as you suggest. The secondaries into the cat pipe have a slotted slip joint and this can be tricky to get a good seal on. Some hi temp silicon exhaust sealant like this could help.

image.png.32f86bee3114a7f72a560a9fc00b63a8.png

If this still doesn't solve it, I'd suggest getting a laptop hooked up to the ECU and give Omex a call and they can advise on what to check etc.

Tim.McKeegan

I had exactly the same reasons for my first IVA fail. I upgraded the front brakes to mintex and took the car to Northampton motorsport to map and he sorted the emissions. Breezes through the next time. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Tim.McKeegan said:

I had exactly the same reasons for my first IVA fail. I upgraded the front brakes to mintex and took the car to Northampton motorsport to map and he sorted the emissions. Breezes through the next time. 

Can't disagree with either solution above which clearly worked for you @Tim.McKeegan however other S2000's including my self have passed IVA with the standard pads and with the factory map for the S2000. You shouldn't need to pay for map tweaks to pass the IVA. As suggest above @TomW Omex will be keen to help you at no cost to resolve the emissions.

Here's my IVA emissions for comparison

image.png.e52ff9cdbe553520859fe44b10ce3964.png

CosKev

If you've fitted uprated/higher temp pads in the front they won't work properly until they've got some heat in them.

The other thing it could be is if you haven't bedded the brakes in?

You need to drive it about a bit to bed them in before testing. 

• Like 1

Did the tester try the emission test at min 2500 rpm? He tried his dam best to get to max 3000!!!!

As the rev's go up under no load so do the readings.

If you have a leak on the exhaust(depending where) i would have thought the readings would go up.

Yeah we tried at to get somewhere in the middle of 2500-3000,  its surprisingly difficult to get it held in between 2500 and 3000,  the first one I think was around 2600 the second one with higher readings was 2900ish.  I guess its time to try to hunt down an exhaust leak!  I have had a quick look from the exhaust manifold/cat join and it seems to be all the way in but I'll take a proper look later tonight.

I'm guessing brakes because it wasn't fully bedded in,  I'd done about 6 miles in the car before it got to the test station and it didn't get many chances for me to use the brakes. 

I will do some digging and get it booked into an mot station!

On the plus side I did get to drive it for a while 😄

• Like 4
Andy (Sycho)

Have you blank off all the disused pipes on the intake manifold? Mine had to have a couple of goes & got really hot before it pasted.

I know there is lots of cars running the omex map but I’m not convinced it’s correct, I had mine remapped & it was running lean mid range which wasn’t great news for my first engine.

@Andy (Sycho) have blocked them all I think,  the only one left is the breather from the rocker cover that's still attached.  I was nervous of blanking it off in case of this exact problem!  I've attached a pic of it from the top of the intake bit of a old image but it hasn't changed since this,  let me know what you think I should do or if its ok?

IMG_2963.jpg

Andy (Sycho)

Not sure if it would make any difference but the breather is usually blanked off as well, you can either run the breather to a catch tank or blank it off which I did for a time.

Here’s how mine looked

FFCF8B1A-E5B7-49EA-BF79-24A5C5557B2F.thumb.jpeg.0c044117df91c1947469c497749ffd70.jpeg

Also check you haven’t got any air leaks on your inlet side.

Rich201060
18 hours ago, Andy (Sycho) said:

Not sure if it would make any difference but the breather is usually blanked off as well, you can either run the breather to a catch tank or blank it off which I did for a time

Yes mines the same, i believe the fitting opens on vacuum from the inlet I was advised to drill it out or replace, if it going to a catch can.

8 minutes ago, Rich201060 said:

Yes mines the same, i believe the fitting opens on vacuum from the inlet I was advised to drill it out or replace, if it going to a catch can.

I did originally, however I've recently just unscrewed the fitting and blanked off as both ports into the cam cover are in the same void. I'm now just using a K&N filter on the front port.