Dodgy ticker

Jonk179

Hello all,

During lockdown I decided to strip and refurb the Westfield. Refurbed the rear axle, gearbox suspension etc. Whilst doing this I realised that things were getting harder and I was getting out of breath and heart racing. So 3 weeks ago I had a telephone consultation with the doctor.

Fast forward to today and I’ve had a scan and am booked in on Friday for an angiogram, PCI and Stents. This has come as a bit of a shock as I’m only 49 and reasonably active. I have put a fair bit of timber on over lockdown but wasn’t expecting this.

The question is has anyone else had this done and what should I expect? I don’t mind telling you I’m a tad nervous.

Cheers

I have not had this myself but you must look at this as fortunate in many ways. They have found an issue and are able to fix it which is not I am told to invasive normally rather than it be a full blown cardiac arrest.

Yes it is a shock but you are young and as you say reasonably fit so will recover well and will have time to change for the better.

I know a few who have had this done and are living well so try to relax and know that you are getting good care.

Good luck I am sure you will soon be back fighting fit

I had a single stent fitted in 2017 at age 62,  fit for my age, I only picked up the symptoms when I was going full tilt on a cross trainer, but they showed me an image, 2 sections of the main (LAD) artery with what looked like a thin piece of string connecting them  (99.5% closed, his words not mine) 

I genuinely think if I hadn't found it, it would have found me, if you know what I mean, so finding it is step one, and puts you in the hands of the best in the world at this, these teams are doing thousands of these a year now, they know exactly what they are doing.   

They have to give you the 'worst case' talk, but stents seem pretty much a formality, natural to be nervous but I was awake and fairly relaxed throughout,  you don't feel much if anything of what they are doing,  I went to the shop on the way home and for a fair walk the day after. 

When you say 'stents' have they suggested how many?  Where are you having it done?  

Definitely follow up on the Cardiac rehabilitation, supervised return to activity levels, I am back confidently at pre-stent exercise levels now. 

You'll be fine,  you may feel the benefit very soon after - blood flowing freely where it was restricted before. 

Anything I can help with PM me. 

Jim

• Like 1

MI at 48, 2 x stents (didn’t get the 1st in the right location). Awake throughout and didn’t feel a thing, out of hospital in a couple of days and back at work full time after 6 weeks although not at full pace for a couple of months. That was 2013 and, other than a handful of pills each morning, fit and healthy.

• Like 1

Same here, 15 May 2013 at 48 years old I had a nasty heart attack. Luckily after 8 defibs I’ve survived the journey to the JR in Oxford to have a clot removed and stent fitted, a day I’ll never forget!

4 weeks off work and a steady return to normal life. Like Jon a hand full of pills every day but other than that I’m fine.  

A month or so after returning to work I finally got to my first practice sprint in my new Westy, thought I could drive until I hit a tyre wall and rolled the car. The paramedics came to check me over and we’re amazed at how steady my heart rate was after the crash, they weren’t so impressed when I explained that was the beta blockers due to a recent HA. I won’t repeat what they said about the Clopidogrel ! 

@Jonk179

If your worried and would like a chat please get in touch but I’m sure you’ll be fine !

Martin