Carbon tube or dynoc?

corsechris

corsechris

A question for anyone who might have some experience of this....

I want to put a piece of ‘something’ on the top of the side panels on my project to protect the paint from feet as I clamber in & out as well as hiding the line of rivets along the inside edge.

My idea was to use a bit of carbon tube, about 235 degrees of the circumference, stuck to the top of the panel and wrapping round.

So, to the question....  could I get away with using faux carbon for this job or is it not tough enough?  I’d want to put it onto a suitable piece of metal or plastic tube, then fit the tube to the panel.

I’d have gone for carbon tube..until I saw the price, hence the question.  Needs to be around 43mm OD and 1mm wall. 

Tim (TimDave25) - Joint Thames Valley AO

I would go for carbon if you can.

Sticky back plastic is great for Blue Peter or short term but if you think you will look back at the decision and regret it buy once.

Carbon can be polished and repaired. Dynoc gets damaged and has to be replaced.

CosKev

Carbon tube is cheap on Ebay tbf,unless you need long lengths?

I've made wishbone leading edge protectors, and roll cage side bar protectors.

Cut the tube in half and stick down with Tiger Seal

corsechris

The tube I’d need is just shy £100, hence the hesitation and the question...but TBH, unless the collective had come back and said ‘yep, dynoc is great, very tough etc’ I think it was always going to have to be the carbon.

I tried some test pieces to see if I could get away with cutting the tube in half, but it needs more than 180 degrees, so it’ll have to be two 800mm lengths of 43mm tube.

Thanks chaps. Best get it ordered before I wimp out :)   

Rush Motorsport

Don’t be the carbon wrap guy!

corsechris
1 hour ago, Andy (Sycho) said:

How about a carbon skinning kit?

I think I’ve had about enough sanding, polishing, spraying, sanding, polishing, spraying for a bit :)

I’ve seen some of the results folk here have achieved with those kits and they can look really good, but it looks pretty time consuming....and I confess to getting a bit fatigued at this point in the build.

ETA Carbon tubes on order.

• Like 3