Coronavirus Act and Tory rebels.

DonPeffers

12 hours ago, Blatman said:

That one crazy woman on the Jeremy Vine show?

You listen to The Jeremy Vine Show, the upmarket radio version of The Jeremy Kyle Show?  Stop that immediately, you’re just encouraging him.

• Haha 1

Jim clearly you DO NOT understand my views but don't let that get in the way of a good rant.  Where in this topic have I castigated the Government?

Knowing how and where the virus is spreading is vital to test and trace. If many cases are in care homes then safeguarding might change, led by Govt.

Now that schools and Universities have returned, a large increase in cases was expected. Note 124 new cases yesterday at Glasgow University connected to Freshers Week; also over 120 cases at Norfolk poultry factory.

Test and trace is designed to stop further major passing of infection thus hopefully stopping many hospitalisations.

Please note the issue in the OP is from Sir Graham Brady who is NOT a member of the opposition, just like myself. My previous posts contain criticisms of Corbyn, Sturgeon, Swinson and others so NOT taking sides.

If you are looking for 'reds under the bed' please keep me out of it.

Not everyone getting covid suffers lifetime damage as you have claimed above; checkout many footballers who have had it and suffered no after-effects.

If closing or partially closing the economy works then fine BUT it didn't eradicate the virus last time and some 'experts' are saying we will likely need a Winter close down as virus numbers (flu and covid) take off so closing down now could be premature and costly.

Last time I checked Germany and S. Korea were Democracies and not (officially) Police States so maybe checkout their covid stats, test and trace systems and some return to normality. Scotland with 1Mn already using the covid test and trace app. not a Police State; glad to report.

Happy to have a calm, polite debate.

1 hour ago, Captain Colonial said:

You listen to The Jeremy Vine Show, the upmarket radio version of The Jeremy Kyle Show?  Stop that immediately, you’re just encouraging him.

I happened to be stuck somewhere where it was on and I couldn't escape. It was an hilarious contribution for all the wrong reasons. I can't abide Jeremy Vine.

1 hour ago, DonPeffers said:

Jim clearly you DO NOT understand my views but don't let that get in the way of a good rant.  Where in this topic have I castigated the Government?

I didn’t say ‘you’ and I didn’t say ‘In this post’, but historically your posts and links give us a fairly consistently picture your views.  I particularly recall more than one post by you concerning the timing of lockdown and critical of the government – I am not talking reds under the bed, but ‘no big fan of the tories’ might cover it.

Your initial posts in this thread are laden with pictures and statements strongly suggesting that you think additional measures by the government are an overreaction.

1. “Whereas Germany plans to hold F1 GP on 11 Oct with 20,000 spectators, UK faces 6 months of Premier league football with no fans”
  2. “New restrictions are being based on rising daily infections although daily deaths rates are still very low”
  3. “2,000 deaths in 2 months compared to over 20,000 deaths late Mar to late May.”
  4. “It can be seen that a large rise in UK cases from mid-July has NOT been reflected in exponential growth in deaths.”
  5. A chart showing Covid vs 10 biggest killers... 
  6. "Covid-19 was the 24th most common cause of death in England last month as official data reveals August was the LEAST deadly month since 2000".
  7. "Data from the Office for National Statistics (ONS) shows Covid-19 accounted for a mere 1.4 per cent of all deaths last month - just 482 out of 34,000".
  8. “Mortality rates declined for the fourth consecutive month”

Now forgive me if I saw all of those and get the wrong impression . I am making a point of not saying 'you' Don, but I think people that were critical of the Government's slow response in March, that then go on to suggest additional restrictions now are an overreaction, are being a little bit disingenuous. 

Last time I checked Germany and S. Korea were Democracies and not (officially) Police States so maybe checkout their covid stats, test and trace systems and some return to normality. Scotland with 1Mn already using the covid test and trace app. not a Police State; glad to report.

Read the Guardian yesterday about test and trace in Germany "Despite being downloaded more than 18m times, the app’s effectiveness is being questioned"  18 million ? what is their population?  20% of the population of Scotland too, sorry Don but we can't attribute any success they have had, nor any return to normality. to test and trace. 

Not everyone getting covid suffers lifetime damage as you have claimed above; checkout many footballers who have had it and suffered no after-effects.

I didn't say everyone, I was referring to hospitalisations, I said "people that get that sick with it". 

Happy to have a calm, polite debate.

Me too Don, we have had some good discussions, I apologise if I stepped over the 'calm and polite' line, a bit of Covid frustration, am normally plotting my escape to India for the winter about now. 

Jim

On 23/09/2020 at 08:54, Steve (sdh2903) said:

I'm more annoyed that living up here in Scotland I'm allowed to meet my parents down the pub for a pint but they can't come round to ours for a brew.

I’m more annoyed that the kids football club near me can play a 22 man contact sport every day between 10am and 10pm (floodlit) but I can’t (currently***) have ONE person in my garden that’s big enough to fit the chuffing football team!

How on earth its considered “safer” for 22 of them to do that than for me to talk to one mate 2m away outdoors is just bonkers. 

*** local lockdown. 

1 hour ago, jim_l said:

(1)I particularly recall more than one post by you concerning the timing of lockdown and critical of the government – I am not talking reds under the bed, but ‘no big fan of the tories’ might cover it.

(2)Your initial posts in this thread are laden with pictures and statements strongly suggesting that you think additional measures by the government are an overreaction.

1. “Whereas Germany plans to hold F1 GP on 11 Oct with 20,000 spectators, UK faces 6 months of Premier league football with no fans”
  2. “New restrictions are being based on rising daily infections although daily deaths rates are still very low”
  3. “2,000 deaths in 2 months compared to over 20,000 deaths late Mar to late May.”
  4. “It can be seen that a large rise in UK cases from mid-July has NOT been reflected in exponential growth in deaths.”
  5. A chart showing Covid vs 10 biggest killers... 
  6. "Covid-19 was the 24th most common cause of death in England last month as official data reveals August was the LEAST deadly month since 2000".
  7. "Data from the Office for National Statistics (ONS) shows Covid-19 accounted for a mere 1.4 per cent of all deaths last month - just 482 out of 34,000".
  8. “Mortality rates declined for the fourth consecutive month”

Now forgive me if I saw all of those and get the wrong impression . I am making a point of not saying 'you' Don, but I think people that were critical of the Government's slow response in March, that then go on to suggest additional restrictions now are an overreaction, are being a little bit disingenuous. 

(3)I didn't say everyone, I was referring to hospitalisations, I said "people that get that sick with it". 

(4)Me too Don, we have had some good discussions, I apologise if I stepped over the 'calm and polite' line, a bit of Covid frustration, am normally plotting my escape to India for the winter about now. 

Jim

Point (1)...I am happy to review and reconsider my post if you can quote it

......no big fan of all politicians would more accurately cover it.

Point (2)...items 1 to 8 are supposedly factual information drawn from newspapers and other facts are welcomed.

Point (3)...hospitalisations of people that get seriously sick with covid could indicate a pre-existing vulnerability and hence a more serious outcome after discharge.

Point (4)...no worries Jim and I guess we are all going a bit stir crazy. Goodness knows what we'll be like by March 2021.

Looks like the westie will soon be Sorn as temps now running 5-10C. 2020 has been a bit of a write-off.