Zetec Blacktop - lightweight Flywheel options

Andrzej

Ben(EBD-ENG)

I'm not doing it myself don't worry. Even though I have the machinery. I have no idea about lightening a flywheel lol

Andrzej
1 hour ago, AdamR said:

As long as there's enough for the clutch to bite against, and it doesn't explode, go nuts!

ekm .. how it translates to kg ? :)   especialy this clutch bite (not sure if I undestand it correctly... - what could happen when the flywheel is to lightweight ) .  what weight of Flywheel did You have in Your previous Westfield ?

Andrzej

Did some reading, and I think this is excelent explanation and a numbers - gain going from the lightweight flywheel (in this example 13kg vs 5 kg flywheel in some BMW) are quite significant - on the 1st and 2nd gear mainly . 

http://www.uucmotorwerks.com/flywheel/how_a_lightweight_flywheel_works.htm

it comes from this discussion:

https://www.e46fanatics.com/threads/can-lightweight-flywheel-be-too-light.154127/#post-1473501

So started to think if maybe to go for the smallest 184mm clutch / flywheel combo (BurtonPower has 3,7kg flywheel for the 184mm clutch) +   Helix 4-paddle 184mm clutch  + helix clutch cover (they have variety from 211 to 490Nm torque capacity ).  Most expensive (but not so much, for all set it is 260GBP difference between 184mm and 220mm set).

But it should last ages in lightweight Westfield (?)

Anyone here is using such a small 4 paddle clutch ? Will it be not too small for grippy slick rear tires ?

Rush Motorsport

Don’t do any of that and put the money toward a Type 9 swap with decent ratios.

Andrzej

Have been considering this, but I think I want to try how it is without synchros. 

And will be able to choose the ratios I want, still having the same propshaft, mounting and second (current) gearbox just in case , easy to change.  That is the plan.  

As for the flywheel -if the above article and calculations are right , and it seems they are,  then it should be a lot of "virtual weight" saving on 1st and quite a lot on 2nd gear.  So whatever box will be want to go for it anyway, here I am asking for experience from other users - what weight/dimensions  of fywheels / clutches works, or which are "crap" etc.