Zetec Blacktop - lightweight Flywheel options

Andrzej

Andrzej

Slowly starting to think of rebuilding some components in the winter. 

One of the changes I want to make in  the car is the flywheel-clutch-clutch cover lightening. 

Currently there is approx 10kg flywheel + 240mm helix paddle clutch + sachs sport clutch cover. Mt75 gearbox with cable operated clutch. 

What options do You more experienced Westfield users recommend ? Car is for track only.

As I looked what are the options I can see :

1. Burton Power flywheel : 6,8kg - described as for "pinto" clutch - 220mm (or 215?)

2. Raceline Flywheel - 5,5-6kg

3. Retroford - 3,9kg (! but most expensive one)

4. Dunnel - approx 7kg but not sure if they sell it or I need to deliver my flywheel to Dunel first. 

5- ? ? ? - any other options ?

I am not sure if all those flywheels have the same external diameter - for the starter to fit (anyway I need a new starter so no problem with choosing correct one I suppose). 

Not being familiar with all those Ford-related names , I assume that "pinto"clutch means smaller - 220mm and that it can be fitted on the same gearbox shaft. I think if so, there is some Hellix available for this size. 

Are there any disadvantages (except the price ) for the most lightweight one ? It seems that the Raceline is in the middle and seems to be most reasonable in the price/weight aspect, waiting for the answer from Raceline , but want to hear Your advices , opinions etc ? 

Another supplier option for you

https://www.rwdmotorsport.com/product/ford-zetec-e-lightweight-steel-flywheel/

They should be able (like others you have listed) advise on the best combination of flywheel, clutch, starter etc. As they can supply all these.

I have a number of parts from them and the quality looks good.  Not fitted yet so I can only go of appearance and customer experience so far.

• Thanks 1
Kit Car Electronics

I can't remember the inertias, but on Silvertop at least, the standard 1.8l flywheel was much better than the 2.0l one as well, and interchangeable 

• Thanks 1
Rhett - Joint Black Country AO

another supplier I beleive that are used is TTV which look to supply some different options. 

• Thanks 1
Ben(EBD-ENG)

Dunnell also sell lightened flywheels just seen your post you already know dunnell supply them lol

Andrzej

Wow, so much options!

First I should determine the weight I suppouse. So Wonder what weight of the flywheel is considered "OK" for the trackday use ?

dont wont to go to low, as I read there could be problems with gearchanges. But maybe if going for the dogbox, which I am going to - it will be beneficial (as low weight of the flywheel as possible?)

Other subject but connected to flywheel - looking at the clutches from some of above suppliers, I can see some of them are solid - no springs in clutch plate.

I had a trackday car with such "stiff" clutch and it failed due to lack of those springs at the most unfavorable moment !

As I talked later to some guys preparing cars for motorsport, they said, that there is a reason why Helix clutches have those springs. There should be some place for the vibrations and forces to spread, if not - something will broke. But that is other issue.

Now to the flywheel 4 or 5 or 6 kg - will be there a real difference in going RPM's up ? maybe most reasonable will be this 6kg (+) from Burtonpower + helix clutch and cover also from Burtonpower ?

Chris King - Webmaster

Mine is 3.9kg (or less) and is fine for road and track. I just keep idle at 1000 revs or so instead of 800.

No direct comparison though as it’s been the same since I built the car!

Chris King - Webmaster
3 minutes ago, Ben(EBD-ENG) said:

is the std flywheel around 8.5kgs? or more?

Depends on engine. 1.8 silvertop is a lot lighter than the beast of a blacktop. Think the blacktop is well over 10.5kg but don’t quote me!

Ben(EBD-ENG)
9 minutes ago, Chris King - Webmaster said:

Depends on engine. 1.8 silvertop is a lot lighter than the beast of a blacktop. Think the blacktop is well over 10.5kg but don’t quote me!

ive been pondering a lightweight flywheel for a winter upgrade. ill have to have a look at what ive already got 

AdamR

As long as there's enough for the clutch to bite against, and it doesn't explode, go nuts!

Chris King - Webmaster
21 minutes ago, AdamR said:

and it doesn't explode

yes think of the location and how much you like your tibia and fibula. 🤔

Chris King - Webmaster

... don’t want one like mine 🤣

B3C373EF-BD63-4C02-AB80-AEA58C13FFA3.jpeg

• Sad 1