Problem with fitting redtop engine.

Nigel Rees

Nigel Rees

I am fitting a redtop Vauxhall engine with Ali bellhousing to my pre litigation Westfield. The problem l have is achieving the correct height to allow nose cone/bonnet to fit. If the engine is lowered it hits the chassis, the only way of achieving a satisfactory fit will involve either machining a section from the bellhousing or modifying the chassis. Can anyone offer any help in resolving this problem.

Thanks in anticipation! Nigel

wizzer

Hi Nigel 

Where is the engine hitting the chassis 

Tony 

Nigel Rees

Hi Tony,

The problem occurs on the drivers side just under the starter motor where the bellhousing is resting on the chassis box box section. I thought about a modified bonnet but it is aluminium and not as easy as fibreglass. The engine is wet with a shallow sump by SBD. Your feedback and suggestions are much appreciated.

etypebernard

Buy an after market bonnet bulge in fibreglass use it as a pattern to get one made out of ali there are many body makers out there - one advertises on ebay or ask them directly to mod bonnet. Just a thought. 

• Like 1
Crash test dummy

An XE in a narrow body post litigation is common and the front of pre lit chassis is basically the same. In the post lit you have to get the rocker cover very tight to the bonnet (even with high line bodywork) to give a decent amount of ground clearance. I think the bonnet line on the pre lit is a fair bit lower than the high line post lit hence the need for a bulge.

Caterham manage to get the XE under the std bonnet but the chassis is different around the tunnel opening and Caterhams tend to run a slightly higher ground clearance too.

The bonnet in the picture above was fibreglass but the bulge was hand beaten aluminium.

• Like 1