Off Topic - 2006 MX5 Engine

Am I correct in thinking that the 2006 (MK3?) MX5 basically has a Ford 2.0 Duratec?

Are there many differences or would one be a straight swap apart from mounts and ancillary's of course.

Cheers

Ian

Rush Motorsport

Do you mean Duratec into MX5 or MK3 MX5 into Westfield?

Sorry should have explained better

Found a very cheap 2006 MX5 which may have an engine issues (smoking) and it got me thinking it may make a nice winter project.

But with a quick look on ebay at engines for the 2.0 MX5 of that era are quite expensive second hand.

So I just wondered if they were internally the same as a duratec. if so it may be a viable project.

RobH72

Not an expert, but I'm sure the MX5 NC used the Duratec (1.8 and 2.0).

I seem to remember reading that Mazda used a direct injection system to get a few more BHP (so may not be a straight swap) but could be wrong? 

Rush Motorsport

It seems a lot of hassle when inevitably after completing the swap, a mk3 MX5 will have rotten to pieces...

I’d just find a different one to tinker with. 

Thanks.

TBH. I think your right.

I have enough to do really. The price just caught my eye but think I will move on :t-up: