Mishimoto Cooling Fans

Does anyone have any experience on the high output 5 bladed versions. They would seem to have one if not the highest air mover rates of the multitude of fans.

I am restricted on overall diameter, probably 10" but have no issues in depth but looking for the most air movement for diameter.

If any one has other options or warnings please help?

Si.Dalziel
1 hour ago, Snags said:

Does anyone have any experience on the high output 5 bladed versions. They would seem to have one if not the highest air mover rates of the multitude of fans.

I am restricted on overall diameter, probably 10" but have no issues in depth but looking for the most air movement for diameter.

If any one has other options or warnings please help?

I switched to a mishimoto fan as I had clearance issues. I also added a backplate so it draws all the air through the rad. It has great airflow and is quiet for a fan. It doesn’t run very long at all when it does need to.

C4C15D22-31B4-4031-B31B-415D3191B5DC.thumb.jpeg.fb7d73c6e5d8e294e0738b9c5fc48c05.jpeg

34BA761F-6085-41C2-B3D9-C941D28FD743.thumb.jpeg.e39b34e41fdd7c99cfb7d80bdb1d19d0.jpeg

• Thanks 1

Sounds promising, I will try one and see, the 1 I have chosen has only 5 blades producing 1600cfm max. in the attempt to increase natural air flow.

Si.Dalziel
7 hours ago, Snags said:

Sounds promising, I will try one and see, the 1 I have chosen has only 5 blades producing 1600cfm max. in the attempt to increase natural air flow.

This is the one I used it’s only 1150 But works well

https://www.mishimoto.co.uk/mishimoto-slim-line-electric-radiator-fan-12.html?utm_source=facebookUK&utm_campaign=DPA&gclid=CjwKCAjw-5v7BRAmEiwAJ3DpuCbHpxNGH25_aVru3O_IbA68GvErTmZ4JN-lXzl_eWY9Snyb-_69SRoCwK8QAvD_BwE

Mark (smokey mow)

What pressure does the fan produce the the quoted cfm at? 

The correlation between volume and pressure of a fan is not dissimilar to the torque/power of a car engine. You need to look at both to get the true comparison between manufacturers. a high cfm isn’t much use if it is achieved at a lower pressure to it’s competitors products.

8 hours ago, Mark (smokey mow) said:

What pressure does the fan produce the the quoted cfm at? 

The correlation between volume and pressure of a fan is not dissimilar to the torque/power of a car engine. You need to look at both to get the true comparison between manufacturers. a high cfm isn’t much use if it is achieved at a lower pressure to it’s competitors products.

They are quoting 1600cfm but no pressure details, in comparison the best of the rest are below this at 0 pressure so got a chance.

CosKev

I've got one on mine,shifts plenty of air using the technical test of holding my hand in front or behind the radiator as its running!🤣😁

Seems to pull quite a lot of power out of the electrical system though😏

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, CosKev said:

I've got one on mine,shifts plenty of air using the technical test of holding my hand in front or behind the radiator as its running!🤣😁

Seems to pull quite a lot of power out of the electrical system though😏

Practical tests are always the best all the rest can be just talk🤪, I've got quite a high output alternator now and battery holds good will see how it goes. Thanks for input. This will be the last of the side pods chances of survival otherwise combination rad/intercooler time.

• Like 1
Si.Dalziel

Who doesn’t love a good practical fan test

• Like 2
Ian Kinder (Bagpuss) - Joint Peak District AO

Good job you've tested you're 'leaf hoover' ready for Autumn 😉

• Haha 2
Paul Aspden The 2nd

Got more suck than a Bangkok hooker.

• Haha 1
Tim (TimDave25) - Joint Thames Valley AO
On 19/09/2020 at 10:22, Snags said:

Does anyone have any experience on the high output 5 bladed versions. 

I don't have experience with these but looking at the website it's lacking details such as the conditions to get the airflow quoted.

A fan might have a high flow without restriction but put a rad Infront and it will drop significantly.

Check out Radtech, they do SPAL fans and provide great advice and actual performance graphs. 

Also compared to the above photo the SPALs can be much deeper (both blades and motors) which to my simple minds means more powerful.

I got the "70" motor on 11" fan. The "90" motor looks the best but just too deep for my application. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
maurici
On 19/09/2020 at 12:07, Si.Dalziel said:

I also added a backplate so it draws all the air through the rad.

Please take this plate out...

It makes not difference in the fan performance, but you are restricting 20% of the rad eficiency... it might be enough to keep the car cool but you have a few tubes working at a huge temperature difference than the central ones as you are 100% blanking the airflow through them... it will significantly compromise the durability of the rad.

• Like 1
Si.Dalziel
1 hour ago, maurici said:

Please take this plate out...

It makes not difference in the fan performance, but you are restricting 20% of the rad eficiency... it might be enough to keep the car cool but you have a few tubes working at a huge temperature difference than the central ones as you are 100% blanking the airflow through them... it will significantly compromise the durability of the rad.

If I took it off nothing would be holding the fan on. Plus the fact that the plate is actually spaced off the core by an inch means that the whole rad has airflow through it and isn’t actually being restricted. Also the fan is as tall as the core and not far off width wise so the hole in the plate is probably ly a lot bigger than you can tell on the picture of the un trimmed plate.

When I tested the V8 fan that was too deep for my setup without the plate it had far less pull through the rad than the plated fan. 

As you can also see from the video the fan is pulling at the corners and edges just as much as it is the centre.

I may have to double check it all but so far so good at least. 

maurici

Well.

An inch is not much in separation when the air flows at 40-50-60mph... i assure you sr, that this is a blockage. A substantial one.

Looks to me that you have tried to optimise the rad arrangement to work with the fan operation rather than with running airflow... and should be the other way around... the fan operates punctually, and normally inneficiently (but sufficient to bring temperatures down) bu the idea is to keep the core as free and unrestricted as possible. Not only for cooling efficiency but for trying to equalize tension within tubes and emplates so they not work over-stressed.

Two small brackets to hold the fan, fan shorud properly sealed against the core (some use foram, but is enough having it really near), and core as free as possible from blankings...

Well, if you want my opinion anyway. I appreciate you didn't really asked for it😅

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1