BugMan

String messing up prints

BugMan

OK, so having a few new issues after switching midea as I was getting fed up with the red/orange print everywhere.

Switched to some Amazon Basics just because we have Prime, so the finincal controller is happy spending.

I had a nozel clog up with the new black PLA and had to virtually completley disasemble the extruder to get the clog removed, then rebuilt it and found it did the same on the next print,

So anyway, I'm now getting the famous "stringing" which is stoping the print process as it's cloging around the print head. 

Had this happen 2 times now so time to stop and ask for advice.

Bit of "Googling"  it suggested looking for something called "Retraction" to pull the media backward at travel moves (I still need to find this in my software) and then poss drop the temp by a couple of DegC

Just need to clear the current blockage so I can try these sugestions, but any help greatfully recieved?

maurici

Stringing being so bad to stop prints, wont be sorted by tweaking retractions.

I never ever EVER had a clogg in my machine, and while i had some severe stringing at the beginning trying s***ty materials prints allways went trough. Aside, increasing retractions will multiply your chances of blockages by ten.

Im pointing more at a printer l(hardware)issue by itself. Im quite surprised you are having that much trouble in a posh printer.

Amazon basics filament is decent enough... not the best finishing ever, but sufficient for successful prints even in cheapo rubissh printers.

What printer was it exactly?

Was it out of amazon?

With this ammount of trouble you are having, could you not consider getting it back and just going for a "plug and play" creality with a DIY enclosure, or stretch the budged and go for a prusa?

Unless you really know what you are doing, you need yo use mainstream software and components to have some comunity backing.

BugMan

well that felt like a kicking

BugMan

Its a Qidi X-Plus, using there own software, all on default settings

maurici

Wasn´t my intention.

I have seen now what machine is.

I take the "returning it" back. It seems like an awesome machine, and my reference freak in youtube happens to love her.

However, he has no problems at all with clogging and stringing using PLA. In fact, for what I have seen the finishing quality and the ease of usability, is absolutely astonishing. And the nylon capabilities is pretty amazing

After saying that. I´m still thinking there is something not right with the printer hardware.  Even more so after having seen the reviews and the high rate in usability and printability.

Regarding retractions and temperature, your slicer is simply cura with a beauty face over it, so I will suggest to... either export the profiles and moving to open Cura. Will be an step forward for the future... or learn cura and export the learnings to your slicer. But... it will outdate pretty quickly.

Some pictures of the stringing that is happening and the kind of clog/mess that happens to your printer, may make it easier for us to help

Ben(EBD-ENG)

have you changed nozzles or anything else since before it started clogging

BugMan

Thanks, the hardware was well researched, given I'm fighting Lung Cancer so wanted a 3D platform that my Son would be able to use when I'm dead.

Sorry if that sounds a bit harsh, but that's the life I'm living with the only timeline my Cancer doc will give is is 6 to 9 months if not treated.

Yes I have changed the print head for the spare after the first clog-up.

I'm just about to take the print head off again, as I'm sure it's currently clogged.

BugMan

OK, so a 4 screws later, here is the state of the head.

IMG_0507.thumb.jpeg.4828055ceb300ac7bbbb50900ddd7532.jpeg

The "string" is then contributing to failing the print, or just stopping print media getting where it needs to go.

IMG_0506.thumb.jpeg.39cf0719c4176b1f893b821797fbe422.jpeg

IMG_0506.jpeg

Ben(EBD-ENG)

I've had a few clogging problems with different filaments on my ender 3. But most of it was down to the nozzle being too close to the bed after a nozzle change. My own fault. 

BugMan

ill try that idea first, maybe ive got the same, as the levrling proess here is a piece of black paper like card, used as a feeler guage.

maurici

Paper is the standart leveling process. don´t suffer with that.

Looks to me that has started to leak from the nozzle to the heat block... could the stringing and over material come from there?

The hardened steel hot end (the heavy dutty one) will be more prone to stringing by nature.

BugMan

The 2nd, HOT head is still in its box, currently scraping the goo iff the head in my hand

Ben(EBD-ENG)

also bed leveling plays a bigger part than i ever thought it would. when you first start a print is it sticking to the bed?

the stringing maybe from the filament not sticking to the bed and then curling up around the nozzle

i had to move the z axis stop on mine with the new nozzle. as i couldn't get the bed close enough to get the gap correct

maurici

Well.

Could you try to put all back together and heat it up well over PLA melting temperatures? Not enough to coook it but sufficient to be sure all melts (something like 230-235 degrees)

This along with a 0.4 decloguign needle (hopefully one came in your toolkit) should get you going.

I doubt your clogg happened in the Heat break, normally is in the nozzle, and that should sort itself upping temperature and messing a bit with the filament.

Regarding the "big ball of PLA"... again, seems very ver unlikely to me that this is pickup. Im pretty sure something leaks from the hot end.

Again, for what i have seen, this machine is meant to be super straightforward, and dummy proof. (no offence intended). Check everything to your best knowledge...

Maybe try the spare hot end, that may be more prone to stringuing but maybe works better out of the box...

Something does not feels right after seeing and hearing all the problems you have had guys (im saying this in the nicest way possible, not wanting to sound like a Kick again)... 

BugMan

Sounds like a logical approach.

Yes, then the print first starts it goes on a little trip around the to-be-printed object, lying down some print material which seems to be OK

I can't say at what point the string starts.

Trying to print s spool holder at the moment, which gets quite a long way through the print, before the head, I'm assuming as it keeps going, but not laying down and further material as it's now just making a blob