Now FREE! MX-5 'Munter' Track Hack

AdamR

Morning all,

Time to move my, er, pride and joy on to someone who will take as, er, good care of her as I did!

EDIT: Updated terms of 'sale', see this post: https://forum.wscc.co.uk/forum/topic/140806-mx-5-munter-track-hack-now-free/?do=findComment&comment=1489318

It looked like this when it was first built, but now has a giant comedy penis drawn in the dust on the bonnet, some 5 spoke alloy wheels with some (pretty worn) Nankang AR-1 tyres on, some gaffer tape adorning various areas of the body, and a pretty crumpled front right corner from where my mate stuck it in the tyres at Cadwell a few years back (low speed, just panel damage):

rm59-jpg.1225777

There's a full build thread here: https://www.mx5nutz.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=216681

"So, what on earth would make me want to part with over a grand for that shed?" I hear you ask. Well.

- This is the ultimate track hack - no frills, no messing about, just a cheap to run, reliable, fun car that's surprisingly quick.

- Thanks some pretty significant weight removal (weight is a hair over 800kg) it'll get round Cadwell in under 1:45, Blyton Outer in the 1:13s and Oulton in the 2:04s, despite the plucky, completely standard 1.6 engine only pushing out about 115bhp.

- It has seated pilots comfortably from 5ft3 up to 6ft4, in complete safety thanks to the roll 'tower'.

- I've never had an 'early bath' in the 20+ trackdays I've taken it on.

- It comes with a spare set of wheels (the steelies shown above, with some Nankang road tyres on, which have enough tread to clear even the wettest surfaces), a spare set of almost new Yokohama AO48Rs in the right size to fit, and even a spare (good, known) engine and gearbox, a spare diff, and other odds and sods such as plugs, HT leads, brake pads, hoses, etc - basically everything you might even need to keep it going for another 5 years, other than the odd oil and filter change.

It has an open diff at the moment, but don't let that put you off. The spare is a viscous LSD, and it's only still a spare because you don't need it!

It could do with an oil change at the moment, but on collection from me near Preston, Lancashire, I'd be happy to stick her up on my lift and carry that out with the new owner, so you can have a proper nosey over the car too. Honestly there is some rust in the usual places, but the car is generally solid, and with the welded in cage is nice and stiff. It drives brilliantly, very forgiving and playful. Oh, and the dampers are yellow, AND adjustable, what more could you want?

I think that's all... but any questions just shout up!

Cheers,

Adam

• Like 1

It is, indeed, ever better than Lionel... so... you should buy it. Shouldnt i had space constraints this thing would be in my garage.

Im very sad to see her go from the "clear" facilities as it probably means I wont be able to drive her ever again.

Shame is, whoever takes her, wont see the need to use the westfield anymore on track for a while.

Also, the perfect car to host a "mates on track" day and laught about it when someone ditches her.

Low stress, no fuss car that will eat BMWs for breakfast, and upset GT3 in cadwell driven by the right hands.

Long life to the munter!!

4 minutes ago, maurici said:

It is, indeed, ever better than Lionel... 

You need to take that back! 

2 hours ago, maurici said:

Shouldnt i had space constraints this thing would he in my garage

But you buy all of Adams cast offs!

You can't stop now 😜😁

• Haha 1

Does it come with an MOT 🙃🙃

A price would be handy? 😉

sounds like you are planning your next project Adam ?

• Haha 1

How did you guess? Looking to do a MunteR2...

Happy to tweak the car to suit someone btw, for example I wouldn't mind keeping the seats, harnesses and steering wheel,  could knock £300 off if you didn't want those.

Don't want the spare engine and box? No worries, I'll take £150 off. Don't want the diff? Minus £50.

So if you a few choice spares already kicking about, you're down to a grand :)

1 minute ago, AdamR said:

How did you guess? Looking to do a MunteR2...

Lionel Munti

961CE488-BD15-4EB9-B833-0226205E5F2A.jpeg.ae7fbc2fc7098347ec7fe3cb8d619fe0.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Thought I should probably add some 'as it is now photos...

munter.jpg.a5472da43928b0c4462d637ad2e4b276.jpg

munter2.jpg.be12139c9c45db8015db4e8e8b061657.jpg

• Like 1

Important Information

Please review our Terms of Use, Guidelines and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.