People can be such BA stewards ☹️

Captain Colonial

I'm about halfway through a book called The Secret Barrister". It's one of the best written, most alarming factual books I think I have ever read. If you want to arm yourselves with some facts as well as spending quite a lot of time with your head in your hands, I strongly recommend reading it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Plenty. In fact there are revelations about every 3 or 4 pages, none of which bring any comfort, even to the innocent. 

The current chapter deals with what we are discussing here, police competency, although the scene here is one of actual cases at actual court.

Suffice to say that politics and police assumptions, coupled with vicious budget cuts to both the police service and CPS is leading to many many miscarriages of justice. The system is HUGELY over-stretched, underfunded and riddled (properly, swiss cheese riddled) with incompetence and mis-management that both convict the innocent and allow the guilty to go free. I'll have a skim for snippets and post any that particularly strike a chord a bit later.

6 hours ago, Blatman said:

I'm about halfway through a book called The Secret Barrister". It's one of the best written, most alarming factual books I think I have ever read. If you want to arm yourselves with some facts as well as spending quite a lot of time with your head in your hands, I strongly recommend reading it.

I've read it and it is unfortunately so true. What is most annoying about the book and what we all hear and see from cases is that the real Scum of society get away with serious crime time and again and nothing is done about them. But heaven help you if your 5 MPH over the Speed limit or you don't pay the Biased Broadcasting Scammers rip off licence that you have to have to watch ITV, and all the other channels live. As for running a business and employing people, well I gave that up nearly 10 years ago as customers & employees have so many rights these days I don't know how most of them make a profit.

On 21/09/2020 at 13:49, Blatman said:

Plenty. In fact there are revelations about every 3 or 4 pages, none of which bring any comfort, even to the innocent. 

The current chapter deals with what we are discussing here, police competency, although the scene here is one of actual cases at actual court.

Suffice to say that politics and police assumptions, coupled with vicious budget cuts to both the police service and CPS is leading to many many miscarriages of justice. The system is HUGELY over-stretched, underfunded and riddled (properly, swiss cheese riddled) with incompetence and mis-management that both convict the innocent and allow the guilty to go free. I'll have a skim for snippets and post any that particularly strike a chord a bit later.

I'm going to get this book, sounds right up my street and I've been looking for a new read :) (well the audio version as I listen whilst I draw)

I recommend Serial podcast - its about the American Justice System not the UK but similar gist - free to download on their website. Season 2 is good and follows a new case each episode for smaller crimes, Season 1 follows one case throughout but is gripping and was later made into a Netflix series. Season 3 I didn't enjoy as much but still good 👍

Sounds like you enjoy the ins-and-outs of the legal system so I think you'd enjoy The Secret Barrister. And I'm sure if he revealed himself he'd have a lot of customers, although I guess he'd be for the high jump as well.

In another life I would have striven to have become a QC but life takes a much less predictable path than the one the Careers Day at school promises, despite them actually getting me what I thought (at all of 15 years 4 months old) would be a great career...

• Like 1

I wanted to be a teacher - tried that, didn't like it 😄 I have Level 3 Supporting Teaching and Learning in Schools as well as Level 3 in Education and training (the non Uni route) - I taught GCSE Maths to age 16-65 at a college before I found my calling in insurance lol. But I did also achieve one of my goals from age 15 and that was to run my own art business, which I have done for over 5 years now.

I never thought I'd enjoy insurance but genuinely can say it's a delight to speak with clients and help where I can (no one really likes insurance but if we can make it as painless as possible when you need it then that's a win) - it helps being in such a good work environment as well as getting to insure the cool cars and go to shows haha!

Those careers days are done so early! Anyway, thanks for the book recommendation, I look forward to it :) 

Carlie

1 hour ago, A-Plan Insurance THATCHAM said:

no one really likes insurance but if we can make it as painless as possible when you need it then that's a win

Sounds like insurance and dentistry have a bit of common ground...

• Like 1

I wanted to be a crane driver , ended up doing 27yrs with my head stuck in the back of a TV set . Had a few run ins with the law and can honestly say the police have never been averse to , shall we say "bending the facts " to get the desired result . Add in the fact that magistrates don't like to be told  there police force tell porkies its easy to see why any verdict is weighted in there favor !