What are the MOT emissions for a Westfield/kit car?

Martyn Vann - Warwickshire AO

This question does appear quite regularly on the forum, usually in the form of “my Westfield has just failed its MOT on emissions, what do I do now?”. It some cases it appears that an incorrect application of the testing rules has been applied, for example when a car registered on a ‘Q’ plate receives an emission fail, when it should not have had a measured emissions test at all. The ‘Q’ registration situation should be very straight forward as it is clearly established from the vehicle as presented. However, this is not always the case, MOT testers may need information supplied when a Westfield or any other kit car is presented for test, this should be provided by the vehicle presenter. The most obvious information is the V5c, but other information, specifically related to the age of the engine from manufacturer records etc. may also be needed. To help you decide what information you need to take to an MOT test and to indicate the test applicable, I have created the following flow chart, which in fact, is mostly in the MOT testing manual for emissions anyway. Hopefully you will be able to see from the flow chart what questions need to be answered in order to arrive at the correct emissions test.

Kit car emissions flow chart.pdf

Notes to be used with the flow chart:

Note 1: This fact takes precedence as the primary evidence of vehicle age is the registration. The MTS, MOT Testing System should show a Q plated car as registered before 1st Jan 1971. Additional notes in the testing manual state that for emissions purposes they are “treated as registered before 1st Aug 1975”.

Note 2: Based on an age related plate and date of first use of the kit car, the V5c may be required for proof.

Note 3: The presenter must provide the V5c for the tester in order that the correct limits may be used.

Note 4: In a case where there are no limits on the V5c and it does not state ‘visible smoke’ as an emissions test, it will be necessary to prove the age of the engine. This may be the V5c for the original donor vehicle or it could be a letter from a manufacturer or owners register etc. In some cases, particularly Ford, the engine date can be found online easily using the engine number. Where there is any doubt about the age of the engine then the lower of any emissions standards should be applied.

Note 5: There are Westfields listed in the DVSA In Service Emissions Standards for Road Vehicles document that is available online. This information is in the exhaust gas analyser database for use when carrying out an MOT emissions test. I believe these will be factory built cars only, and currently there are only two 1.8 Zetec engines, a 2.0 Cosworth and a 4.0L Rover V8 listed. To use the database record there must be an exact match, including the engine code, so if the presenter can’t supply an engine code and the tester cannot be sure of the engine code there is no exact match. Where there is any doubt about an exact match then the lower of any emissions standards should be applied.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 5

Brilliant Martyn, many thanks! Moved to FAQ, as discussed.

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

Can I just check that nothings changed since this post please?... since have my MOT this wk? On a Q plate. Reading this I should have no worries for emissions and should pull them up if see them performing that check? Also reading  this no need for me to take my V5C....mine has nothing next to the emissions section. I've read some conflicting info so just checking.

Thanks

15 minutes ago, Ant70 said:

Can I just check that nothings changed since this post please?... since have my MOT this wk? On a Q plate. Reading this I should have no worries for emissions and should pull them up if see them performing that check? Also reading  this no need for me to take my V5C....mine has nothing next to the emissions section. I've read some conflicting info so just checking.

Thanks

They may check it for emissions readings but can't fail it ( in my case). I questioned my own MOT chap as he pushed the tube up the pipe, he said they are told to take reading even if the car is exempt that test, he didn't say why nor did I ask why, but I have a feeling that they are building a database of emission readings for future use - I can't prove that by the way, but why else would they take readings ?

So don't wade in with the rule book until you get your certifcate, then you can if it fails on that test.

All my own experiences , others may find different.

• Thanks 1

The inspection manual does not require any emissions test to be carried out on any vehicle out of scope, eg Q plated vehicles. I have not seen or heard anything to the contrary from DVSA via their official communication channels.

I suspect that statement from your MOT tester may be a bit of flannel, or a misunderstanding!

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Martyn Vann - Warwickshire AO said:

The inspection manual does not require any emissions test to be carried out on any vehicle out of scope, eg Q plated vehicles. I have not seen or heard anything to the contrary from DVSA via their official communication channels.

I suspect that statement from your MOT tester may be a bit of flannel, or a misunderstanding!

Not sure Martyn, he is a genuine guy, and when he does test my car he has to leave the machine purging itself to get rid of the fumes for an hour, not sure why he would forego testing another car whilst the purging was going on, I have no other explaination.

ETA

I will ask him, mine is due early December.

2 hours ago, OldStager said:

Not sure Martyn, he is a genuine guy, and when he does test my car he has to leave the machine purging itself to get rid of the fumes for an hour, not sure why he would forego testing another car whilst the purging was going on, I have no other explaination.

ETA

I will ask him, mine is due early December.

I would like to know why he is doing it and where the idea of doing it came from?

It appears to be a pointless exercise but it may be at the request of a local DVSA vehicle examiner.

Agreed a pointless thing to do, but he was quite insistent in doing it, even though he knew he couldn't fail it - hence my non proven suggestion.

Thinking about this in respect of the environment, I wonder if it is anything to do with all the major towns / cities introducing ULEZ more and more, your comment about it being a local request and the fact the MOT station is in Blackpool makes me wonder. They must get data for ULEZ areas from somewhere, so the most obvious is to test all cars and send the data in together with the air quality reports of the same areas ???.

A quick google found this two year old news paper report, which mentions other places are under scrutiny for ULEZ , no mention of around here in that, but Liverpool is in it, and Blackpool has to follow close being a holiday resort.

https://www.express.co.uk/life-style/cars/1111712/ULEZ-clean-air-zones-UK-towns-cities-new-emissions-charges

The emissions records are stored locally on the device at the test station, not shared with DVSA or any other agency. I have discussed this matter with a DVSA person to confirm that there is no known reason for a measured test where not required.

• Thanks 3

• Quinten pinned this topic
  • 1 year later...
On 10/08/2021 at 13:24, Richard (OldStager) said:

I will keep you all posted in December.

What happened at the MOT test then Richard? 

2 hours ago, Flying Carrot Steve said:

What happened at the MOT test then Richard? 

Richard hasn't been on here since Dec 2022, sadly. So he's not likely to reply.

image.png.52b6f373199d5a8ffaa4a6f10e94ada0.png

Richard needed to take a complete break from both Social Media and "cars" for health reasons. As you can imagine, a social media site such as ourselves, featuring cars quite so strongly is at the top of that list!

We wished Richard well when he had to step away, as we still do, but based on his previous experience, he didn't feel like he would be able to come back anytime soon. 

Richard is certainly missed though and we all that chatted with him both on line and at events, hope he feels well enough to join in again soon. But these things take as long as they take.

• Sad 2