New member saying hi!

DIY-Si

Morning all!

Seeing as I'm finally getting near to being able to buy the car I've wanted for the last 15 years or so, I figured I might as well sign up and stop lurking! My name is Simon, which won't be a great surprise from the user name, and I've been slowly getting closer to sorting myself out an XI for a while now. So far my journey has been mostly one of looking and longing, spurred on by a run out in Simon Marks' XI last year.

I've been acquiring parts recently with the aim of having some of the main mechanical bits sorted before I buy the kit from Westfield. But being an awkward b*****r, I shall be using some non-standard bit! The plan, which is slowly being fulfilled by a well known auction site, is to have a flat backed XI powered  by a lightly tuned Climax FWB and my version of Lotus's de-Dion rear suspension. So far I've got an ex-water pump engine, in bits and needing some machining prior to assembly, two 5 speed Lotus Elite/Eclat gearboxes (to make one good one), and a rear diff being built up for me by a local machinist. Not a lot, but its a start! I know this may cause me some bother coming registration time, but I have a cunning Morris Minor based plan for that.....

I figure that's all for now, so hello all! I'll no doubt be making more posts once we've moved house and I've re-built the asbestos roofed garage so I can start to play!

• Like 5

Hi Simon,

Great to see someone else looking to build an XI. I also went out for a ride in Simon M's XI which resulted in me ordering a kit.

I test drove the WSC demonstrator when they had one (20+ years ago?) and I wanted one ever since.

They are a lot of fun to build but full of niggly bits (for such a simple car) given that it uses 50 year old donor parts for restoration, and that the car is not so highly developed as the '7' models.

I like the idea of the Climax engine for authenticity. I toyed with the idea of different engines etc., but in the end practicality and budget overruled and I've kept the A-Series (although it soaks up money like water through a sieve!) as it still suits the car very well.

Good luck, and look at my build log (Morris' XI Build) if you want to see how a novice approaches the build...!

Morris.

Hello Simon , and welcome out of the shadows lol.

im really looking forward to you starting a build thread as we all Absolutely love  it when The box gets ripped up and folk do things a little different.

Good luck and we wait with anticipation for the start of your journey 

Morris,

I've been keeping a close eye on your build thread! I've spent a few years playing with cars, from a 135bhp a series mini that did 8mpg, a blackbird engine's MK Indy to the 2.5V6 Sprite I am very, very slowly building. You're doing well, and show that you don't have to be a weird old man in a shed to build one. Although it may help..... 😉

Gary,

Thanks, I've never been one to follow the beaten track. Even though I know it will cost me time, money and effort I aim to end up with a fairly close (ish) copy of an Eleven. Even my diff housing has Lotus cast into it!

Screenshot_20200904-172844_eBay.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Haha, I was planning a yellow cam cover as well!! But not those awful mesh covers. They do nothing for filtration but they do wreck airflow.....

• Like 1

11 hours ago, DIY-Si said:

They do nothing for filtration but they do wreck airflow.....

-Rock stoppers! And that’s about all they’re good for...

Welcome, and really looking forward to the coming build thread, should be a really interesting take on an IX.

Hi, Simon,

Another ride in my XI has resulted in another customer for Westfield Sportscars!

It is very interesting to read about your plans.  Having the non-crossflow Climax engine may liberate a little more room for the footwell modifications that you discussed when round at my house.

Regarding your gearboxes, Lotusbits are not far from you at Marton and are very knowledgeable on all things Elite and Eclat (including the gearboxes).  Mike Taylor is the man there who may be of help should you need it - and they do hold a good stock of spares.

The flat back rear clamshell will expose you to more buffeting when driving than with the traditional humped one - but I am sure you will be aware of that.  The flat back may also offer you some easier options with regard to a roll over bar.

That diff housing is spectacular with that so 1960s Lotus script.

I look forward to reading your updates and catching up again.

Simon

Afternoon Simon! Yes, another victim falls prey to the allure of your XI......

Part of the reason for the Climax is, as you say, the ability to lean the engine away from my overly long legs. Should I find it necessary, it will allow much greater alterations to the pedal box area.

You've guessed one of the two main reasons for going flat backed: the ability to have a sensible roll over bar. The other, if not bigger reason, is that the other half thinks the hump is ugly!! 🙄

Hopefully I'll be able to start a build diary soon.....

• Like 3

As soon as I've moved house and have something to show, I'll be gladly starting a build thread.

Is there a limit to the size or amount of photos I can post at once?

1 hour ago, DIY-Si said:

Is there a limit to the size or amount of photos I can post at once?

There doesn't appear to be a limit on either. Photos are actively encouraged (worth 1000 words and all that!) and I insert mine straight from my phone or camera.

4 hours ago, Simon Marks - North Oxfordshire AO said:

Another ride in my XI has resulted in another customer for Westfield Sportscars!

Some commission might be in order if anyone else is pointed in your direction...😀

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Morris said:

There doesn't appear to be a limit on either. Photos are actively encouraged (worth 1000 words and all that!) and I insert mine straight from my phone or camera.

Jolly good! I'm sure there's a sticky post somewhere that says if there is, but i can't confess to having read them all.

• Haha 1