comprensive list of parts on top of kit..

andyj007

As the title..  

does anyone have a comprehensive spreadsheet of the parts required during there build on top of the kit they could share with me via PM..

thanks

Andy

Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary

Whilst I understand the appeal of these, please, please, please, do not treat any such lists as definitive! Always check to your kit before committing to buying bits.

The variation across the range is massive, and once options start being added, the detail difference go exponential fast.

Plus, as many parts can be pattern parts these days, there can be differences between suppliers, for instance, the rear stub shafts, on later Independant rear suspension cars. There are at least three different version of the hub nuts that I’m aware of, two different sizes, and then one size can either be supplied as a left and a right handed thread, or both standard!

Chris King

...and which kit?

this post is in x-cars so I assume you are building an XI or XTR?

yes ive been on the lookout for one, o complement my fw  and missed a couple at sensible money..  . 

so im investigating the kit option.... if someone had a spread sheet they kept it would enable me to see exactly what i would need to source or fabricate..  like all things in life , i prepare well, have a plan, and then exercise that plan.  my intentions should i go down this route would be to source nearly everything before i started, new old or reconditioned  so it is all in place  in my workshop for a non stop build / recondition . it would also allow me to make enough funds available from the start.  Half the enjoyment for me is the build .  i always need a project to be working on.. :)

Ian Kinder (Bagpuss) - Joint Peak District AO

Which an XI or an Xtr? Always good to have a plan

thank you Stephen, i did enquire about your car when it was for sale.. it was out of my budget.. very nice it was too!  your thread is very good..

I have a spreadsheet showing everything I have spent so far on my XI including all parts, suppliers and engine matching costs. Also included are all costs I have received back from selling off the unwanted MG parts.

If you'd like a copy please give me your email address and I'll ping it over.

Morris.

jonjh1964

The XI kit is designed to use a 1275 MG Midget as a donor (donor parts), if you've got a good donor car with fully serviceable donor components it should be possible to complete the XI with the only additional costs being consumables (oil, gaskets, conduit etc).  Realistically you'll want to replace things like the clutch, brake shoes/disks/pads/tyres (as a minimum) during the build and may find play in things like the Kingpin front uprights/ball joints - the vast majority of parts are readily available at places like Moss Europe (download Midget Catalogue), MGOC (website) with quick delivery/turn around for overhauls - if the donor is good I'd allow around £1-2,000.  The rear axle needs to be fully stripped to have the trailing arm brackets welded on and the lower steering column also needs a new shaft welded on, both need to be with Westfield for at least a couple of weeks.

My £900 donor was a total mess as it had been left halfway through major body repairs for about 20 years.  Once I'd ordered the kit I stripped the donor and either overhauled, exchanged or replaced all the MG donor parts, about £6,500  (Engine £4,000, King Pins £300, Differential £350, Upgraded Front Brakes £400, Wheels & Tyres £800, new bearings/seals/ball joints all round £300, SU HIF44 Carb/Maniflow manifold £400, Starter/Alternator £300 etc.) and, other than the engine, everything was waiting when the kit arrived.  Overall I'm still not sure which is the best option - wreck or runner, you might be lucky and get a runner that needs no work on the donor parts but with a wreck you know everything is in like 'new' when you've finished.

As ever with a kit car, you need to be careful with upgraditis I ended up with a Type 9 Gearbox (with long 1st gear), a lot of MED/Peter May engine goodies, MegaJolt 3D Mappable ECU, Springall steering wheel, all new dash gauges etc that added at least another £3,000 to the overall build.

In summary, get a donor (with a V5C for an aged related registration on the XI) for around £5,000, Kit £11-12,000 and allow another £2-3,000 for miscellaneous, IVA, Registration, expect to spend £18,000 (-£1,000 or + £2,000) to get it on the road for a reasonably spec'd car.  Once you've got your donor, order the kit and in the 3 months while you wait for it, strip down the Midget and go wild with a wire brush and can of hammerite and have everything ready when the kit arrives - you may even be able to get a good part of the donor purchase price back by selling off spares to Midget owners (just don't tell them what your doing with the rest of the Midget!)

• Like 3

yes thanks Rob..  i have been following you and looked at your thread a few times..  will have to pop over and show you the Westfield FW tapping your knowledge on the x1..  

On 03/09/2020 at 13:06, andyj007 said:

That woudl be brilliant!   thank you

info@adjames.co.uk

Hi Andy,

Did you receive the spreadsheet ok?

Morris.