Paul Aspden The 2nd

Question abut build date

Paul Aspden The 2nd

Hi all. Was wondering how i should approach the build date box on the IVA application form. Should I put in 08/2020 or do i put in the age of the original car the engine came from as that was a 1994 ford of sorts?

1567417073_Screenshot2020-09-02at02_28_16.thumb.png.adc031ed913d5e14e1a98b09069d5430.png

Dave (OnliestSmeg) -  Manchester AO

Noo expert here, but may be beneficial from emisions viewpoint to have it as old as possible. You would need evidence of age of engine.

There's plenty more knowledgeable on here than me and sure one will be along soon.

Paul Aspden The 2nd

@Dave (OnliestSmeg) - Manchester AO Yeah you have hit the nail on the head. I know and can demonstrate the engine was built in 1994 however is that the date I put in this box or should it be the build completion date and the engine age demonstrated with a letter of authenticity from the manufacturer.

Chris King - Webmaster

It asks the date of the vehicle manufacture - not the engine. So it’s 2020. 

The engine age is for the Iva emissions test and is a separate thing altogether. It’s at the point of test at the centre, on the day, that you need to prove engine age. 

Chris King - Webmaster
3 minutes ago, Paul Aspden The 2nd said:

@Chris King - Webmaster and Joint North East AO Many thanks. hope you had a great holiday.

Still there mate 😁👍☀️

Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary

As Chris said, nothing to do with engine date, purely down to when the collection of car related components came together to become a car.

Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary
37 minutes ago, Chris King - Webmaster and Joint North East AO said:

The engine age is for the Iva emissions test and is a separate thing altogether. It’s at the point of test at the centre, on the day, that you need to prove engine age. 

Indeed; for this, if you can physically prove the age of the engine, then for the IVA test, it will be tested to the emissions standard appropriate for its age. If you can’t, then it will be tested to a more rigorous current standard. (But fuel injection, a cat and a decent map will usually get you through this, if it’s not too heavily tuned).

I don’t know if it’s still the case, but Ford engine owners used to be quite fortunate, as Burtons used to have a chart in their catalogue and on line, with the engine number codes on, which indicated the year of manufacture. This was sufficient for IVA in the past?

As ever, the DVSA isn’t 100% consistent, but of note, for the past few years at least, most, are having their IVA emissions targets printed on their V5’s, so in theory, unless you’re on a Q, which I think, still over rules this, you could be MOT’d at your V5 level at some stage.

Q’s, which I assume you’ll be on, from this thread, are still AFAIK, visible smoke only? (A few years since I’ve had a Q, and not on the current MOT test format).

Chris King - Webmaster
2 hours ago, Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary said:

Ford engine owners used to be quite fortunate, as Burtons used to have a chart in their catalogue and on line, with the engine number codes on, which indicated the year of manufacture.

That was the fine for proof for my IVA. But if it’s a crate engine they often don’t have any numbers or they have a non-ford number. 

2 hours ago, Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary said:

Q’s, which I assume you’ll be on, from this thread, are still AFAIK, visible smoke only? (A few years since I’ve had a Q, and not on the current MOT test format).

I believe so - my car is visible smoke only, even though the IVA emissions are printed in the “notes” section. 

Paul Aspden The 2nd

Thanks for everyone’s input on this. So I have had confirmation that my engine was built by scholar motorsports for Westfield and supplied to them in 1999. However the block that the engine was built up from has the code “RM” and going of Burtons handy list (thanks @Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary) that means that it could be argued that the engine itself was made in 1994. 

so does this mean I have to fit a catalyst?

Chris King - Webmaster
1 minute ago, Paul Aspden The 2nd said:

Thanks for everyone’s input on this. So I have had confirmation that my engine was built by scholar motorsports for Westfield and supplied to them in 1999. However the block that the engine was built up from has the code “RM” and going of Burtons handy list (thanks @Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary) that means that it could be argued that the engine itself was made in 1994. 

so does this mean I have to fit a catalyst?

I Think - not certain - that 1995 is the engine date where a CAT is required. Something in my memory bank has 1993 as a CAT used in production date, but 1995 for IVA purposes. I might be wrong though!

Pretty sure it's covered in the IVA manual somewhere?

Steve (sdh2903)

Before August 1995 = no cat required. 

But there is a sneaky bit that says if engine manufactured between 1992 and July 1995 AND  that the vehicle/engine didn't have a cat fitted originally. Though I've not heard of anyone being picked up on that. 

Steve (sdh2903)

Chris King - Webmaster

Can you find an EXACT match. Sorted 😁👍