Motorbike Indicators with a 3D printed Base

Temnich23

I have been looking around and cannot find any indicator pods that I fancy. 

so, I would like to use a motorcycle indicator pod as per the link. I would 3d print a base for it so I can attach it to the body. Would there be an issue doing this in terms of the electrics or is it pretty standard throughout?

https://www.jsaccessories.co.uk/buy/oxford-products-streaming-indicators/40264.htm?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIxPvijurE6wIVia3tCh3MWwgDEAQYCiABEgLqPvD_BwE

neptune

Not sure I understand why you need a base to attach these unless you already have a hole in your bodywork bigger than the threaded end of these indicators 

Typically most motorbike indicators have 8mm threaded end so just need an hole in your bodywork to suit 

Temnich23
15 minutes ago, neptune said:

Not sure I understand why you need a base to attach these unless you already have a hole in your bodywork bigger than the threaded end of these indicators 

Typically most motorbike indicators have 8mm threaded end so just need an hole in your bodywork to suit 

Its mostly down to me guessing that there is a hole there please correct me if I am completely wrong 😅. But If there is I was thinking of printing a base to cover the existing hole and neaten it up for the indicators. 

neptune

I suspect you have the factory westfield indicator pods. If so there may be multiple holes. 

If you can Post a photo someone will confirm .

Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary

If you have the factory indicator pods, then yes, there should be three holes, two for the threaded mounting studs that are bonded into the factory indicator arms, and one quite large one, that the indicator wiring passes through.

Temnich23

10 hours ago, Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary said:

If you have the factory indicator pods, then yes, there should be three holes, two for the threaded mounting studs that are bonded into the factory indicator arms, and one quite large one, that the indicator wiring passes through.

Yeath they're the factory pods, I was going to get a photo last night but completely forgot. I guess If the pods I am thinking of putting on will be mounted on a single threaded piece then it might look better to cover them up with a base plate of sorts. 

TableLeg
4 hours ago, Temnich23 said:

I guess If the pods I am thinking of putting on will be mounted on a single threaded piece then it might look better to cover them up with a base plate of sorts. 

I'd agree and if you're not able to design them yourself there's plenty of people on here who can help you im sure.

Temnich23
34 minutes ago, TableLeg said:

I'd agree and if you're not able to design them yourself there's plenty of people on here who can help you im sure.

I've got them on order now so will hopefully get something drawn up easily enough in the next week or so 

Temnich23

Got the indicators in today, as @neptune said they are on an m8 thread. Got a busy weekend so I am hoping to get on with getting something printed next week. 

IMG_20200902_170448.jpg

IMG_20200902_170456.jpg

Paul Aspden The 2nd

@Temnich23 do you need some bases designing for those indicators? I want to do the same thing for my car after it’s been through the IVA so more than happy to sort for you.

• Like 1
Temnich23

@Paul Aspden The 2nd Hi mate, gonna have a look at them tonight and try and draw one up. Il share the designs on here once they're done and you can see what  you reckon? 

Paul Aspden The 2nd

Can you give me the some dimensions from your indicators such as thread diameter and the shoulder diameter 

Paul Aspden The 2nd

@Temnich23 If you signup for onShape (free) you should be able to access this model. https://cad.onshape.com/documents/9c8683aca964e12fdef06c9a/w/047e4a274954a0815f06346c/e/d049b01419518a5d95c192ec

You can then adjust the variables highlighted in the left column to get the right size.

Once you are ready you then need to right click on part 1 and select export, which will allow you download a STL file for 3D printers to use