10,000 to spend

Steven (WE51STE)

Mooncloud, what type of car are you thinking of building? It's not such a silly question, because the answer will help influence the choice of engine.

There is a huge assortment of engines that will fit a Westy. But if you are working to a strict budget, its probably not a good idea to be tempted to fit engines that are not factory supported. You end up with more grief, and more expense. The only exception to this may be the fitment of a Toyota 4AGE.

IMHO, if you are looking at a track day star on a sensible budget, a bike powered car is gonna take some beating. No wipers/screen/heater/trim, keeping costs down and weight off.

But if you want a car to use for weekend trips away, traffic use, stuff like that, some folk find a BEC a bit too 'raw'. If this is your scenario, you need to look at the various car-engined options open to you.

Where abouts in the world are you? There may be folk in your area that can assist in givng you 'The Westfield Experience', even that this time of year! :D

But the way the weather forcast is looking, it wont be this week..... :down:

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Steven (WE51STE)

• Blatman

• Mark Stanton

• adhawkins

Mooncloud, what type of car are you thinking of building?

Another question might be why are you thinking of building?

If it's 'cos you want to, then great and you have my admiration! I could never do it... but if it's for financial reasons?

IMO, it seems to cost more to build than buy one ready to go - and the higher spec cars always have the worst depreciation. There's another current thread where a newby has bought a cracking looking '99 SEIW with a well sorted VX for probably no more than your budget. It probably cost nearly twice that much to build.

Just a thought. I'll get my coat.

Mike

The reason for building one is because I have always dreamed of building my own seven style car after falling in love with the lotus 7 at a very early age and yes the green / yellow comes from the "Prisoner" where my love afair started.

As for the type of car i'd like to  build is a car that I can use weekends / dry days / Touring and the occasional track day.

So I think the BEC is less practical for my use.

I currently drive a MK1 MR2 and have to say that after 150,000 miles the engine is still as stong as ever. :love:

I currently drive a MK1 MR2 and have to say that after 150,000 miles the engine is still as stong as ever

but the gearbox is f***** :(

(least mine was)

Ive recently bought my standard kit which I am collecting in the next two weeks.(cant wait).

Just a couple of points.Westfield have now "standardised" the chassis(so they told me) so they are all now floor mounted pedals, no matter which engine/gearbox you fit.Therefore the trans tunnel is also a standard width so a type9 and Mt75 tunnel should be the same.

Try and see as many cars in the flesh before you decied on the colour.Westfield have a display of cycle wings in all thier colours in the showroom, but dont have a catalogue showing different cars in various colour options which personally i would have found helpfull.

Get them to fit the rivnuts.They charge £45.00 for this  but you if you ask you may get it for free.A rivnut tool will cost £60 for a decent one.

Its up to you but the Westfield chassis stands are £55.00 and consists of a pair of tressles made out of 1" box. You could but the box section for about £10 and make your own or make one you can wheel in and out of the garage like they have at the factory. I did.Cost me £40 in steel and 4hours to make.

:t-up:

I currently drive a MK1 MR2 and have to say that after 150,000 miles the engine is still as stong as ever. :love:

Yes, yes, yes. I knew it. Just pick up the phone to those nice people at RAW - they can make it all so easy to do...

At the risk of upsetting a lot of folks     why  thats Lotus colours and we drive Westfields which are unique and individual in their own right       Go for all green or all yellow - please not the green and yellow nosecone route - its soooooooooooooooooo yesterday

Stanton, you and me should have words.

Stanton, you and me should have words.

Will they hopefully be slurred ones again Mr A  :D  :D  :devil:  :D

If I went for the raw power 200bhp supercharge £3000 engine what would be the total completed build cost ? and how difficult is the mounting of the engine ?