Classic bonnet & nose cone with FW rear?

SteveB21

Hi all

I'm beginning my journey to spec my kit and I'm debating the Classic vs. FW body styles. I originally thought I would go for the Classic style (having owned a pre-lit 7SE many moons ago), but following a factory visit yesterday, I'm beginning to favour the FW.  One thing I did find out was that the Classic bonnet and nose cone can be combined with the FW rear end if specified at the ordering stage, which is giving me another option to consider...

Has anyone got this  combination and, if so, can they please share some photos of the end result?

Many thanks!

Steve

• Like 1
Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary

It's very common. In fact almost all Sport 250 and Mega S2000 models sold, have used the FW tub, but because the engines are too tall for the FW one piece bonnet and nose, they have to use the regular ZK nose, with V8 bonnet.

Have a look here, there are some photos from various angles of a Mega S2000 with the FW/ZK mix

https://www.britishbuiltcars.co.uk/Cars/cardetail/297/Westfield/Mega S2000

A sport 250:

IMG_0560.JPG

And the Autocar review that went with the above photo, has some more.

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/westfield/sport-250

I had a similar dilema when I ordered my Mega S2000 kit, as I also wanted Classic flared arches, but always liked the FW look. In the end, for various reasons. I bottled out and went full ZK (traditional) bodywork. 

I bitterly regretted it quite quickly, (as much as I liked the ZK look). Running with friends, with the FW rear, I steadily realised that all the possible issues I'd worried about didn't exist, and it was really just an aesthetic choice.

Ive since, as part of a seemingly never ending rebuild, got rid of my ZK tub, and swapped it for FW, I so wish I'd done it from the start!

BugMan

In a Sport250 I went for, in my opinion, the full FW body set.

Just to throw Mor fuel onto the fire, I’d be interested to see if the Factory can do the Sport1600 body shell?
I think it supposed back under development, and you can see some nice changes on the tub, I particularly like the rear boot lid, and some scuttle changes around the front suspension.

know the std WF answer is prob NO but be nice to know if the can offer it?

im still more in favour of the FW over the original but know the older tub is still popular as my bud Andy is on that path 

FC9F05C4-300E-47E0-8D45-328F532BE233.jpeg

SteveB21

Hi Dave & BugMan

Thanks for the prompt replies. What I was thinking of was the bonnet style as in the attached picture, not the ZK one. I guess there are a lot of options out there!

Thanks 

Steve

BD99ED47-90E2-463A-9BEF-61A6D9BD55C7.jpeg

BugMan

Agree there are a lot of options on body, mine was part driven by the size of my Ford EcoBoost 250 engine, and having read through all of the 250 builds at the time, where Steve, EdgeC and Exitus and Dave’s

excellent build logs, had a firm eye on heat under the shell.

It got to the point where I was dreaming of ideas on cooling, most of which were un-needed, but once running the car for a good few miles.  Bigger problem was ground clearance on the EcoBoost power plant.

BugMan

:orange-westy:

andyj007

I have a fw full fat..   lol. In case anyone wondering even with the vents ,  the i induction  noise from omex throttle bodies still passes track days bo problems to report,  they are also perfectly placed to feed fresh air into the air-filter.  With a benefit of not having to cut the bonnet.   Snazed mine up with a bit of pin striping 😂

image.jpg

BugMan

Nice picture, do like the colour balance on that and the stripes in general

BugMan

:orange-westy:

2 hours ago, SteveB21 said:

Hi Dave & BugMan

Thanks for the prompt replies. What I was thinking of was the bonnet style as in the attached picture, not the ZK one. I guess there are a lot of options out there!

Thanks 

Steve

BD99ED47-90E2-463A-9BEF-61A6D9BD55C7.jpeg

They are both ZK bonnets, (ZK refers to the current, traditional style bodywork, there was an earlier version known as Kit Bodywork, which is similar, but different in a few small key areas).

There are two different ZK bonnets, and two different ZK noses, the standard flat bonnet in your photo, and the V8 bonnet with the bulge. Then there is the standard nose, as in your photo, and the ducted, V8 nose.

Any appropriate combination of the different ZK parts can be used with any combination of FW parts.

so you can have an FW nose/bonnet on a ZK tub, or a standard ZK nose/bonnet on an FW tub, etc.

It's really difficult finding the photo you're after though, because many of those that can't use the FW bonnet on the FW tub, can't because of the engine's height, and if the FW bonnet won't fit, the standard, flat ZK one won't usually fit, either, so you have to use the V8 bonnet for the extra clearance.

DE04*

Not sure if I have read this correctly but I have traditional front with FW rear.

20200809_084210.jpg

20200809_084156.jpg

• Thanks 1

That’s what the OP was after! I was sure there’d be someone on here with the combination!

SteveB21

Dave’s right - that’s what I was after!  Many thanks everyone.