How to value a car

Chimp400

Hi all, difficult to ask this question without breaking any rules.

Im helping a good friend of mine sell his 2004 built Westfield Sei wide 3.5 V8.

Coverered roughly 9000 miles, which is part of the reason he’s selling, and now has a bike.

Do all the seiw cars have a similar value?

Im happy to pay for membership if you think this is the best place to advertise, seems this is where the enthusiasts would look?

We don’t want any tyre kickers which is why he’s asked me for help, he can’t stand all the “what’s your best price guv”.
I sold my Cobra replica to the first buyer many years ago which was pretty painless to be honest!

Thanks for any advice.

Hi, welcome!

No, I’m afraid there’s no magic formula for working out a second hand price.

The problem is, while there are certainly a few specific “models”, such as the SEiGHTs that should in theory make it possible, they’re kit cars. So there will always be someone that’s converted an “ordinary” Westfields into a bike engined car, or a V8, or whatever. This blurs the lines, considerably. In addition, very few people build two cars exactly the same, such is the wealth of options and choices, so it’s very difficult to see consistency for pricing.

Westfields, (like many other kits), tend to sell on condition, condition, condition. Age and mileage are far lower considerations. Desirable engines and gearboxes make a big difference, other upgrades, tend to make much lesser differences, in comparison to what they cost to fit. Though they may certainly make a car way more desirable.

1 hour ago, Chimp400 said:

Ok thanks, will take a look at what's for sale out there and make a decision. 

Its all you can do, really. It's why a really good description and great photographs, with lots of details will help a "good" car fly off the sales pages.

FWIW, values have steadily been rising in recent years, (current climate, excepted), so when comparing, make sure you're comparing adverts from similar time periods.

Also, I'm not sure if it's just me, but whenever I've looked on Pistonheads, they all seem to be a little bit dearer than any other Westfield ads, for similar age/spec Westfields...

In my own experience of going for Agreed Value insurance for a number of years is, be honest/ realistic. Not suggesting that you'd be 'dis'honest in any way but don't exaggerate your valuation. 

Watch the market as there's usually always a Westfield for sale somewhere. Think about what you'd realistically accept if you were selling it, and go from there. 

It's not easy and can take a little bit of research the first time but after that, the biennial reviews (as is the frequency for A- Plan Insurance) become easier 😉

As already mentioned...so many factors involved in a Westfields value:

Model

Tyres

Wheels

Shocks

Brakes

Induction type

Engine spec and condition

Fit and finish quality

Add ons (ARB's, roll bar / cage, LSD, etc)

Set up - has it had suspension set up / engine set up

Over all condition / MOT / History

If it's an Seight with a standard 3.5 on carbs then I would say the range will be 8k - 16k.....but all of the above (and no doubt much more) need to be factored in.

I listed it on Pistonheads last night purely because its free and im a long time member there.

Would appreciate any comments if you do take a look.

A trader made an offer on it last night but was a little too far away price wise but not insulting.

31 minutes ago, Chimp400 said:

I listed it on Pistonheads last night purely because its free and im a long time member there.

Would appreciate any comments if you do take a look.

A trader made an offer on it last night but was a little too far away price wise but not insulting.

Why not advertise on here, you've got a better audience etc? It looks tidy. Good luck with the sale.

No it was another trader.

Thanks, I may buy the trial membership which I believe allows you to list a vehicle? 

Edited by Chimp400
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Chimp400 said:

No it was another trader.

Thanks, I may buy the trial membership which I believe allows you to list a vehicle? 

Yes, you'll be able to advertise with the paid for trial.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
On 08/08/2020 at 10:10, Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Chairman said:

Hi, welcome!

No, I’m afraid there’s no magic formula for working out a second hand price.

The problem is, while there are certainly a few specific “models”, such as the SEiGHTs that should in theory make it possible, they’re kit cars. So there will always be someone that’s converted an “ordinary” Westfields into a bike engined car, or a V8, or whatever. This blurs the lines, considerably. In addition, very few people build two cars exactly the same, such is the wealth of options and choices, so it’s very difficult to see consistency for pricing.

Westfields, (like many other kits), tend to sell on condition, condition, condition. Age and mileage are far lower considerations. Desirable engines and gearboxes make a big difference, other upgrades, tend to make much lesser differences, in comparison to what they cost to fit. Though they may certainly make a car way more desirable.

Hi,

I'm just a new trial member trying decide how best to sell my late brother-in-law's pre-legit Westfield (1990?). It has not been worked on for many years so engine "scrap". Had Weber blowback which caused a small fire, so new body kit bought from Westfield but only partly fitted.  Does have V5C on Q-plate. It is a rolling chassis.

Your site only seems to sell working cars, so probably eBay better (last resort?) to sell.

Regards,

Stuart

13 minutes ago, Ian Lambert said:

Hi,

I'm just a new trial member trying decide how best to sell my late brother-in-law's pre-legit Westfield (1990?). It has not been worked on for many years so engine "scrap". Had Weber blowback which caused a small fire, so new body kit bought from Westfield but only partly fitted.  Does have V5C on Q-plate. It is a rolling chassis.

Your site only seems to sell working cars, so probably eBay better (last resort?) to sell.

Regards,

Stuart

Hi @Ian Lambert, put an advert here https://forum.wscc.co.uk/forum/forum/88-westfields-for-sale/ this won't be the first non runner sold on here. The more pictures and information you provide, the better chance of finding a buyer etc.

Our European members like cars of that age, so you may find it goes overseas.

Good look with the sale.

1 hour ago, Ian Kinder (Bagpuss) - Joint Peak District AO said:

Hi @Ian Lambert, put an advert here https://forum.wscc.co.uk/forum/forum/88-westfields-for-sale/ this won't be the first non runner sold on here. The more pictures and information you provide, the better chance of finding a buyer etc.

Good look with the sale.

Good look with the sale.

Good look with the sale.