aeg

Zetec crankshaft oil seal front

aeg

Hi, anyone out there changed the front crankshaft oil seal on a Zetec recently? Trying to sort my oil leak out and I think it’s coming from the front pulley area so it’s fact finding time before it’s pull it apart time!! Cheers Andy

RussH

I’ve just done it on an MX5....be very careful you don’t scratch the crank when you remove the seal!

Ben(EBD-ENG)

screw two self tapping screws into the seal and pull it out is the way ive always done them

• Like 1

Ian Podmore
6 hours ago, Ben(EBD-ENG) said:

screw two self tapping screws into the seal and pull it out is the way ive always done them

And this is how I put a scratch in my crank. Luckily I was able to clean it up (sighed with relief).

I have changed it a few times on my Zetec as I couldn't stop it leaking, I had been using standard Ford ones, the last time used one from Burton.  It's never leaked since.  Price was about 30% of Ford one as well, and much easier to fit.

aeg

Thanks for the advice guys, something to look forward to when I come back from my hols 🙄 cheers Andy

aeg

Well after Thursday nights area meeting the consensus was its the front crankshaft seal so tonight i started the strip down to change it !!

Now I've got in to have a good look at it I'm unsure? 

Here's the photo , i was expecting to see a lot of oil behind the pulley and cover when i took it off, I'm back to thinking could it be the sump gasket leaking at the front and it catching the pulley and spraying it everywhere?  

Thoughts guys !!

IMG_1068.thumb.JPG.d766dd423fe4ca463bc0a68000f2fcda.JPG

81093A91-A2C4-4CC9-8D81-79657A73C8B1.thumb.jpeg.f0bbb74943d7bba1029a5304251fb48f.jpeg

corsechris

Doesn’t look like it’s coming from the crank seal to me.

Dylan

Had exactly the same problem,changed the oil seal twice still leaked.Turned out to be the oil pump gasket had blown at the top letting oil leak down onto the oil seal.Bigger job than anticipated sump off oil pump off new gasket but cured oil leak.

the stoat

For us XE owners that is not a leak, that is mild weeping.....