Go Pro Hard wired remote

Ian Kinder (Bagpuss) - Joint Peak District AO

I spied this on FB this morning- https://www.gopro-remote.com/

I've been using a Hero 7 black this year and have found the connection between the App (Iphone 😎 and the camera flaky! I'm using an external power lead and have found it's slightly better with the battery removed from the GoPro, but there are still occasions when it doesn't connect! I believe the Gopro remote to be equally patchy too. Gopro support is shockingly bad. 

This hard wired solution sounds better. I've no experience or connection with the company, but though some of you may find it useful.

• Like 1

Interesting!

Yeah, if you have a hero 5, he quoted me £99 to send it over for a wired button install.  Not a bad price really

I've had a chat with him and it is indeed a much better system. But note that he is hard wiring it into the GoPro by opening the case, soldering in the wires and then resealing the case so not an option if you still want to use the GoPro for other things - hence why I didn't get mine done.

He also offers some good kits a that include remote mic or headset input etc 

He will also do Px for old or new GoPro.

Might be worth seeing if he will do a club discount?

41 minutes ago, Chris Broster - Bristol & Bath AO said:

I've had a chat with him and it is indeed a much better system. But note that he is hard wiring it into the GoPro by opening the case, soldering in the wires and then resealing the case so not an option if you still want to use the GoPro for other things - hence why I didn't get mine done.

He also offers some good kits a that include remote mic or headset input etc 

He will also do Px for old or new GoPro.

Might be worth seeing if he will do a club discount?

Good idea

1 hour ago, NickBW said:

Good idea

There's already a 10% launch discount on the site, so it can't do any harm to ask! 

I messaged him and mentioned a few folk on here are interested, i said put a post up with what he offers and bits since i think a few might be interested.  He said he would register and do a post

• Thanks 1

Interesting, having spent £100s of pounds on a GoPro the last thing I would be doing is opening up the case and soldering in wires. I wonder where the GoPro warranty would stand and waterproofing would worry me.

I have one of the very early GoPro HDs and a old MK1 remote control and it has never let me down. I recently purchased a GoPro 7 Black and the old remote works with that too.

Even better is that I now have two cameras that work simultaneously off the one remote control, so I have one front-facing and one rear-facing, gives me great race footage.

@Ian Kinder (Bagpuss) - Joint Peak District AOA thought..... if you operate with no battery and external power why don't you try setting your camera to start filming when it is switched on and put a simple in-line switch in the external power lead - simple solution and cost pennies!

I have a gopro 6 or 7 back. Does the remote work with either model?

The old style Go Pro Remote definitely works with the Go Pro 7 Black, simply go into the Camera "Preferences", "Connections", "Wi-Fi Band" and then set to 2.4GHz and pair the two as normal.

Not tried with a Go Pro 6 but if it has Wi-Fi then I expect the above (or similar options) will work.

I have a GoPro 4 silver and a GoPro 7 black. The old style remote works faultlessly on both and I have never had a connection issue in 5 years. My 4 is also on a battery eliminator and has no need for batteries. It’s always on.