S2000 cooling problems.

LukeW

Update! 

New bottle and cap fitted so far 50 mile test drive and did start off well with temps whilst running hovering around 93/94 this is what I was used to. 

However once warm and hit traffic temps again did rise quickly with the fan kicking in, but as soon as get moving again 40/50 mph temps drop. 

This still doesn’t sit right with me as I don’t remember the temps rising like this before, but maybe I’m over thinking it and it is back to what it was.

The new bottle and cap defiantly helps and the system is holding pressure now too as I get the hiss and rising in level when opening the cap when warm. 

I guess i will keep monitoring, with the true test at oulten park trackday at the end of the month. 

Thanks to everyone with their suggestions, been a great help and hopefully I see cooler running conditions from now on! 

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• LukeW

• Ian Kinder (Bagpuss) - Joint Peak District AO

• CosKev

• Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I would try using a very small amount of light lube on the rubber seal under the cap. I found that mine had so much grip that it was very difficult to tighten the plastic cap properly. I put a very th

But on long leads times, due to numerous businesses wishing to light up the foreheads of customers etc.

Hi Luke,   Rather than disturb yours. Let me check mine which is off the car in the garage. I'll then advise how impeller is fixed to shaft etc.   I should be able to do this tomor

Posted Images

AdamR

Sounds normal to me, especially on a warm day.

• Like 1
Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary

Sounds fairly normal for the weather, keeping in mind it can take a little bit of bleeding after a run from the front upper manifold bleed to completely get the last (small bits of) air out.

• Like 1
Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary

...Also, I seem to have a distant memory; you should only normally bleed from that front upper valve with the engine stopped, NOT whilst running, or it can draw (a small amount of) air back in.

• Like 1
Scotty72

I also get temps of around 92 in the summer when moving and rising quickly when stationary with the fan cutting in within a few minutes of stopping. Seems pretty normal to me

• Like 1
Ian Kinder (Bagpuss) - Joint Peak District AO

Mine was circa 88 - 90 when moving freely and upto 95 in traffic yesterday. Note I've not got a thermostat and my EWP controller is set for a 90 degree target.

• Like 1
fil46

Just fitted a new thermostat as mine had been chopped, I was out for a run on sunday and it was warm sunny weather and it never moved from 85 on the move even when booting it for 5 miles or so , when in town it will rise slowly and fan kick's in at  95 cooling rapid to about 85.

I run a 70mm coolex Rad with spal high pull fan

• Like 2
Barnsley John

Just to throw sum figures

For reference and may be of no use but heres my running temps in hot weather

S2000   

Standard honda inlet

Heater

82 deg on dash 2 normal fast and slow running 

Fan kicks in 92 ish in  traffic 

Done 4500 miles and never issues with cooling apart from fuse on fan once blew due to been wrong amp

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
LukeW

So after more trawling through s2ki forum, I have been out bleeding the coolant system every day with the car in all sort of weird angles praying I will find a air bubble. Still it seems no, and I’m still not convinced the car is running as it was. Managed another run in the week where I was able to press on down some empty roads, this saw temp rise with the fan kicking in even with the car moving.  After a backing off and cruising in 6th it did take some time to bring the temps back down to what I’m used to.
yesterday my IR thermometer turned up and I warmed the car up going through yet another bleed routine checking various points for hot/cold spots, everything warmed up equally and in the right order, however I did notice there a small hose that runs round the front on the block and to the oil filter then there’s an outlet from this collar that goes back to inside the block. 
this was the hottest point I could find at over 100 degrees even before the car was at a normal 90 ish degrees operating temp

Now I appreciate its very close to the exhaust manifold so could be picking up heat from that to give me a false reading. 
I have a couple of questions. 
is this hose even coolant i can’t see what else it can be?

can anybody else check this same spot on theirs for comparison

what would a hot spot like this mean if anything

09F587F8-920C-4041-8394-3E9F5A7BCDE0.thumb.jpeg.424bee8a56c104b11eed8215f1a49f7f.jpeg

sorry to keep going on bout this topic, but something stil isn’t as it was. Some have mentioned privately it might be time to check the engine isn’t running to lean/rich causing it to generally run hotter so that will be next port of call I think

AdamR

Seems pretty normal to me that a lump of metal right against the block, and in close proximity to the manifold, would be warmer than the water temp.

I don't know the S2k well at all, but what is that brown sensor for? Coolant temp? Is it meant to be connected to something?

If you think the car isn't running as well as it used to, I would check the ECU is seeing the correct coolant temp as a first port of call.

Don't forget our current warmer weather may affect a few things significantly though! There may (should) be some 'trims' in the map that adjust timing, fuelling, startup / warmup maps dependent on air temp.

• Thanks 1
44 minutes ago, LukeW said:

however I did notice there a small hose that runs round the front on the block and to the oil filter then there’s an outlet from this collar that goes back to inside the block. 
this was the hottest point I could find at over 100 degrees even before the car was at a normal 90 ish degrees operating temp

Now I appreciate its very close to the exhaust manifold so could be picking up heat from that to give me a false reading. 
I have a couple of questions. 
is this hose even coolant i can’t see what else it can be?

Yes, it's the hose from the modine oil to water heat exchanger- this is dual purpose it used coolant to heat the oil up quicker during cold start and then uses coolant to help stop oil temps getting too hot. The pic below is upside down! Your measuring the coolant temp before it's cooled the oil, so It could be higher on the hose/pipe going across the front of the cam chain cover. Depends if the oil temp is higher or lower than coolant. As it's idling, I'd suggest oil temps will be circa 80 degrees and hence the oil shouldn't be increasing the coolant temp.

image.png.152e4c53e13a713811d88bafbe429b61.png

can anybody else check this same spot on theirs for comparison

No, I've not got an IR Thermometer, sorry.

what would a hot spot like this mean

How does it compare to the temp of coolant leaving the cylinder head here:

image.png.90adddf55ae59190317f3f2ff8f6db11.png

The other area circled is the Dash2 temp sender. The omex temp sender is on the right hand side (you can just see some blue on the body of it).

What temp is the bottom hose of the rad?

if anything sorry to keep going on bout this topic, but something stil isn’t as it was. Some have mentioned privately it might be time to check the engine isn’t running to lean/rich causing it to generally run hotter so that will be next port of call I think

Don't be sorry. I'd rather keep talking about and get to a solution than kill your engine. Lean generally causes pinking and heat. Rich leads to bore wash etc.

You're still very welcome to borrow my pump, just to rule out yours.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Barnsley John

Sum more info that happened to mine that again may be totally irelivant

My heater when i first bought car never got warm 

Bagpuss i belive told me that may be a pipe from the heater joining main system may be blocked and sure as eggs  are eggs the metal t peice  that joined main coolant pipe was still welded up inside

Not allowing coolant to return from heater

drilled it out and works fine

Reason i mentioned this  is can you check every t pices or junctions around your system  etc for any  cooler spots

Grasping at straws a bit but sometimes we overlook simple stuff  

Good luck to find it

• Thanks 1
15 minutes ago, AdamR said:

Seems pretty normal to me that a lump of metal right against the block, and in close proximity to the manifold, would be warmer than the water temp.

I don't know the S2k well at all, but what is that brown sensor for? Coolant temp? Is it meant to be connected to something?

The brown sensor is an secondary oil pressure sender not used in a Westie. With the Honda ECU it's used to check Vtec engagement.

15 minutes ago, AdamR said:

If you think the car isn't running as well as it used to, I would check the ECU is seeing the correct coolant temp as a first port of call.

Don't forget our current warmer weather may affect a few things significantly though! There may (should) be some 'trims' in the map that adjust timing, fuelling, startup / warmup maps dependent on air temp.

• Like 1
LukeW
7 hours ago, Ian Kinder (Bagpuss) - Joint Peak District AO said:

How does it compare to the temp of coolant leaving the cylinder head here:

the temp by oil cooler is about 15degrees Higher then the ecu temp sensor

then the ecu temp sensor is lightly cool then the dash ready but not significant.

What temp is the bottom hose of the rad?

temps on bottom hose from rad are around 20 degrees cooler then top hose going in once up to full temp

You're still very welcome to borrow my pump, just to rule out yours.

I might do just to eliminate I’ll pm you ta.

7 hours ago, AdamR said:

Don't forget our current warmer weather may affect a few things significantly though!

I get that it’s warmer but I’ve been round donnington 20 minute session on a warm day last year and didn’t see this sort of behaviour with temps. 

I need to send my eco back to Omex to get it unlocked before I can look there for problems although I was able to see some values alot I couldn’t access.

I've taken my pump apart this morning, ready for collection by Luke.

It's amazingly bright and shiney, given it's not run or been on an engine for 5 years plus:

image.png.a258cfca88d2c364fc2b79026f28cb33.png

There's some scale/corrosion on the o-ring at the bottom (in the right of this pic)

image.png.1775bbcdf240a67e4c1157c5d198eeb0.png

It's clearly a clever Honda design, as I've not seen a pump this small other than on our tropical fish tank!

Here's Luke collecting it whilst I was out on a family walk!

Not sure if his is the 7th or 8th S2000 Westie to visit me!

image.png.9dad11010eb60e2b39248bfe29b061ed.png

• Haha 2