S2000 cooling problems.

LukeW

I will check this return line tomorrow now. Don’t recall seeing any restrictor in place but it is a smallish bore hose on the return from rad. 🤔

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• LukeW

• Ian Kinder (Bagpuss) - Joint Peak District AO

• CosKev

• Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I would try using a very small amount of light lube on the rubber seal under the cap. I found that mine had so much grip that it was very difficult to tighten the plastic cap properly. I put a very th

But on long leads times, due to numerous businesses wishing to light up the foreheads of customers etc.

Hi Luke,   Rather than disturb yours. Let me check mine which is off the car in the garage. I'll then advise how impeller is fixed to shaft etc.   I should be able to do this tomor

Posted Images

CraigHew
1 hour ago, LukeW said:

Have you got a video of this, 

i noticed it was dribbling back to expansion tank on idle but that was with thermostat removed! 

Not to hand, but I'll post you one tomorrow morning when I'm home.

• Thanks 1
Ian Kinder (Bagpuss) - Joint Peak District AO
11 hours ago, LukeW said:

I will check this return line tomorrow now. Don’t recall seeing any restrictor in place but it is a smallish bore hose on the return from rad. 🤔

It's not standard fitment. I put one with a 2mm hole in mine. I put a cable tie on the hose where the restrictor was, to aid locating in the future. I fitted it to limit how much water was bypassing the block. Just leaving a small hole should allow any air to leave the top of the rad.

• Like 1
the stoat

Just a thought given the car is OK running.  Is the fan wired up backwards and so not being very efficient?

• Like 1
CraigHew
13 hours ago, CraigHew said:

Not to hand, but I'll post you one tomorrow morning when I'm home.

Here you go

• Thanks 1
Scotty72
5 minutes ago, CraigHew said:

Here you go

This looks about the same flow as my car at idle.

I have replaced the coolant twice during ownership and when refilling poured new coolant in slowly with bleed valve on top of block open to aid release of air.

Had no issues with airlocks.

• Thanks 1
LukeW
6 hours ago, CraigHew said:

Here you go

Mine is nothing like this on idle even with thermostat back in!

dribble on idle with positive flow when holding throttle on slightly. 

just doing first warmup after filling with only water for now and it’s the yellow area of the rad that get warm first 

should it not be the blue area given this Ian the feed from the thermostat?

262CE718-AF78-4311-A94A-5160C6A8D55D.thumb.jpeg.ca4bbbeb655415557f8cffa6ab391d00.jpeg

LukeW
7 hours ago, the stoat said:

Is the fan wired up backwards and so not being very efficient

Fan is correct way as it pulls a piece of paper to the front of the rad when it’s running 

Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary

No, the rad should get warm from the top.

Coolant enters the rad at the top, from the water elbow at the back of the inlet manifold. It then travels across the top half of the radiator, to the off-side of the car, before dropping down inside the rad and traveling back across the lower half. It then exits the bottom of the rad, where it's drawn back towards the pump.

The thermostat opens and closes the return feed to the pump from the rad, on an S2000.

In an ideal world, you don't actually want that much flow from the radiators  upper self bleed connection, back to the header tank, as this is coolant that's not passing through the rad. Hence reducers in the line are sometimes used by builders.

However, you wouldn't expect the flow pattern through the self bleed hose to suddenly change for no reason...

LukeW

Thanks @Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary

The flow through bleed hose back to header tank changes when the throttle is opened slightly so the pump is working harder. 

I had a thought that maybe belt is slack and slipping but then my alternator wouldn’t necessary be charging the battery? 

So my dash displays 98 degrees then fan kicks in and cools straight town to 96 on the dash. 

The fan thermostat is 98-93 as I’d pulled that out yesterday, is this potential cause for concern?

it was also notice the level in header tank reaches around half then when the fan kicks in and cools it this level drops to below a quarter! 

Is this normal? 

FA7B265D-A11A-4856-89A7-1F8F38107B70.thumb.jpeg.403981ed372de3d8f87a122e8ec44729.jpeg

level before fan kicks in

3E86F40B-C16E-4619-934F-A17E1438D53B.thumb.jpeg.eb7ded770e67abd46511a0e21db40f8f.jpeg

level as fan goes off?

LukeW

Also tried to connect to ecu to compare temp readings. But mines locked 

dont suppose anyone has a .GIN 

file for the locked omex 630 

630 01M31r1

Steve (sdh2903)

The level will rise and fall more with the cap off as its a pressurised system. Try it with the cap on.

Steve (sdh2903)

In fact I wonder if your issues are down to a knackered expansion tank cap, if the system  isn't pressurising properly can cause weird issues including overheating.

• Like 1
Ian Kinder (Bagpuss) - Joint Peak District AO
10 minutes ago, Steve (sdh2903) said:

In fact I wonder if your issues are down to a knackered expansion tank cap, if the system  isn't pressurising properly can cause weird issues including overheating.

Test the cap with a foot pump plumbed in. It makes a honk as it opens at circa 22psi from memory. I cut a schrader valve of an inner tube and fastened into a hose with a jubilee clip. Then used a 8mm t piece to plumb it in.

• Like 1
LukeW
21 minutes ago, Steve (sdh2903) said:

if the system  isn't pressurising properly

Now you mention it 

one time whilst I was away and temp showed high I pulled over and did slowly remove cap from expansion tank much to my surprise it didn’t take long to equal atmosphere and the level didn’t rise to the top of the tank as I would expect!