S2000 cooling problems.

LukeW
11 minutes ago, Ian Kinder (Bagpuss) - Joint Peak District AO said:

Rather than disturb yours.

Hi Ian 

It might be worth checking if yours makes this funny noise? 

As as I said I am a impatient sod. So have already took it to bits.

the impeller is not slipping on the shaft, however there is a funny noise like a rubbing in one direction. 

However I can’t tell you if it’s the direction it would normally be operating in?! 

Can any one tell me which way the crank turns whilst looking at the engine from the front of the car I will then be able to say which way the impeller is running when I get this noise! 

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• LukeW

• Ian Kinder (Bagpuss) - Joint Peak District AO

• CosKev

• Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I would try using a very small amount of light lube on the rubber seal under the cap. I found that mine had so much grip that it was very difficult to tighten the plastic cap properly. I put a very th

But on long leads times, due to numerous businesses wishing to light up the foreheads of customers etc.

Hi Luke,   Rather than disturb yours. Let me check mine which is off the car in the garage. I'll then advise how impeller is fixed to shaft etc.   I should be able to do this tomor

Posted Images

Rush Motorsport

The problem is clear, you’ve got a duck caught in your water pump housing. 

Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary

The crank runs in the conventional clockwise direction!

• Thanks 1
LukeW

That means the noise I’m getting is happening in the direction of normal operation!

however it all feels smooth and no play at all on the shaft?!

corsechris

It’s just the seal. It’s spring loaded, and the direction you are turning is causing the spring to wind up slightly, then the seal slips, then it winds, then it slips, hence the ‘quack’. Won’t happen when it has coolant on it.

Plastic impellers are a blight. Although it didn’t get bad enough to cause problems, I saw the problem on my last Alfa 166 where they’d gone for plastic impellers. Discovered it when doing a cambelt swap. Given how much of a PITA that job is, it’s common to replace the waterpump at the same time, which I did...and discovered the first signs on trouble brewing. The usual symptom with those was poor cooling at high revs but OK at idle/low revs. Until they got really bad that is, at which point it was poor cooling throughout.

• Like 1
Ian Kinder (Bagpuss) - Joint Peak District AO

Mine doesn't squeak in either direction, sorry! Though it's not seen any coolant since Nov 2014! It does feel rather stiff to rotate. Does yours spin freely?

If you put water in your pump, does it loose the squeak. I doubt it's anything to do with you cooling issue. I wet mine and it was still stiff to turn.

You're welcome to borrow my pump if you wish.

• Like 2
fil46

Last week I had a drip on the garage floor , it was coming from stat housing so took it off for a look, the internals of the stat had been removed, so a bit of sealer and put it back on, new one ordered.

So when I bought the car it had a standard plastic polo rad and the Devals coolant, (Evans stuff) Now with a plastic polo rad the surface area is about half that of a standard S2000 one and under the tight fitting of a westy you need to go with depth of rad to make up for the surface area. with a polo rad you are  going to get cooling issues whatever you try .. Fitted a new 70mm coolex alloy  rad, sorted the car ran at 55/60 and no higher than 70 booting it too cold but when the new stat is fitted I think temps will be right on point.

With the coolex rad there is a pipe at the top I have blanked when filling with coolant  I open it to bleed the rad, and a we tip I was told when filling any car with coolant pour it in very slow so that it can't glug in the expansion tank if you know what I mean so as the water leaves the tank there is a gap for air to escape as you fill the pipes.

LukeW What mix of antifreeze are you running as that  can affect the water temp, as antifreeze helps raise the boiling temp of the water 

• Like 1
CosKev

The stronger the mix of antifreeze the less efficient the cooling is,the most efficient cooling is done with just water.

But then you've got no corrosion inhibitors in there.

Water Wetter is recommended by a lot of people👍

• Like 1
LukeW
5 hours ago, Ian Kinder (Bagpuss) - Joint Peak District AO said:

Does yours spin freely?

it has some resistance but nothing that feels abnormal to me. I have give it all a clean today with some de greaser and the squeak has quietened down however when in water it doesn’t squeak, so suspect the pump is fine. Thanks for your kind offer to borrow your pump. 

Thanks @fil46 I have a radtec extreme rad in there and didn’t see any problems before recent coolant change. 

As for my mix of coolant I’m using honda type 2 premixed, from cox motors spares. 

fil46

M sounds like a air lock in the system as every thing else should be up to the job, you could try filling it with coolant, then hold a cloth around the filler neck and use a air line blow gun about 5/10 psi should do  and force out and air locks 

• Like 1
LukeW

I made a pressure test kit to aid finding a coolant leak last year so I’m tempted to drop this on the system full of water and see if it budges any other potential blockages. 

I will also drop the fan thermostat out and check it’s operation too. 

TableLeg

I'm not familiar with the S2000 cooling setup but often either jacking up the backend, the front or both at different times can help move air to a point where it can be expelled.

Might also be worth a try.

• Like 1
CraigHew

Last time my S2000 had a coolant swap i had front as high as i could, front bleed nipple open and poured it into the expansion tank very slowly, a little at a time.

As others have said, squeeze the hoses best you can and run for a short while to get up to temp then repeat until 5 or do litres have been added.

When mine idles you can see the coolant being squirted back into the expansion tank at a fairly vigorous flow rate.

• Like 1
LukeW
24 minutes ago, CraigHew said:

When mine idles you can see the coolant being squirted back into the expansion tank at a fairly vigorous flow rate.

Have you got a video of this, 

i noticed it was dribbling back to expansion tank on idle but that was with thermostat removed! 

I have just belled out fan thermostat and it switches it on fine but seems to switch off early. 

I have no accurate way of measuring the temps of the boiling water I’m using but once I get it to switch high. 

I turn the heat down to low on the hob and it almost immediately shuts off even though the water is still bubbling?!

Could this be a problem what fan thermostats are people using on the s2000 setup 

I believe mine is 97 on 94 off. 

Steve (sdh2903)

Different engine but mine has a large flow from the small radiator bleed to the expansion tank. The usual routine is to have a restrictor in this line but even with the restrictor I have a good positive flow. I wonder if you have a restrictor could it be blocked/gummed up stopping the bleed flow?

• Like 1