S2000 cooling problems.

LukeW

Following my recent road trip and slight over heating issues, i removed thermostat to aid cooling this seemed to do the trick under load running however when coming to a stop the temps started to climb quickly. 

Having made it home keeping the temps under control I decided to test the thermostat. 

Much to my surprise it open and closes as is to be expected! 024A5E06-7264-4F21-AA7E-89D976B80FE8.thumb.jpeg.10b55fe949bf13b42d28a14717b75365.jpeg

i am running standard mechanical water pump setup and did notice that the return flow seemed weak on idle from both cold and warm. 

Can anyone show me there return coolant feed into expansion tank from cold start and and or warm running on idle. 

When the throttle is blipped the pressure and flow is more like what I remember. 

Any more thoughts suggestions welcomed. Although I have ordered a new Honda thermostat and gasket, but may not be the root cause! 

All these issues seemed to start after a coolant change and have warmed the car up several times now without cap on expansion tank to burp/bleed the system to remove airlocks. All to no avail! 

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• LukeW

• Ian Kinder (Bagpuss) - Joint Peak District AO

• CosKev

• Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I would try using a very small amount of light lube on the rubber seal under the cap. I found that mine had so much grip that it was very difficult to tighten the plastic cap properly. I put a very th

But on long leads times, due to numerous businesses wishing to light up the foreheads of customers etc.

Hi Luke,   Rather than disturb yours. Let me check mine which is off the car in the garage. I'll then advise how impeller is fixed to shaft etc.   I should be able to do this tomor

Posted Images

Barnsley John

i fitted a bleed valve to the top heater hose  early this year  as i wanted to change coolant and did not want to get air trapped 

weather this would help 

also there's some great guys that will be along soon with probably wat you need to help further

2.jpg

Si.Dalziel

Google S2Ki and bleeding coolant and the issues that come with it. It’s a bit of a pain to bleed in the first place let alone with our modified plumbing. 

do you run a heater?

I have my bleed point on my heater line as it’s the highest point. If you don’t run a heater you add in a length of hose with a bleed point on one end to try and get all the air out.

Si.Dalziel
1 hour ago, LukeW said:

Following my recent road trip and slight over heating issues, 

What temps were you seeing? Have you got oil temp too or just coolant?

CosKev
2 hours ago, LukeW said:

All these issues seemed to start after a coolant change and have warmed the car up several times now without cap on expansion tank to burp/bleed the system to remove airlocks. All to no avail! 

Got to be related to this.

Air lock is number one on the list of probabilities 👍

You could always get it filled with a vacuum system if you are struggling 

Ian Kinder (Bagpuss) - Joint Peak District AO
4 minutes ago, CosKev said:

Got to be related to this.

Air lock is number one on the list of probabilities 👍

4 minutes ago, CosKev said:

You could always get it filled with a vacuum system if you are struggling 

But you'd have thought > 1000 mile trip round Scotland would have worked it out! 

• Confused 2
Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary

It might have if the system didn't keep getting pulled apart! I'm just so pleased not to hear of any nasty failures after removing the thermostat. But running without one is a at best a very, very short term sticking plaster, and at the very worst, can cause long term damage to build up over time in the head. (Running without one in an EWP system, is completely different, as is running with one that's been replaced with a appropriately sized restrictor.)

They can be right pigs to bleed on occasion, though strangely, not every time. I've usually found on the times they have been bad, you just keep having to revisit and bleed the system some more, till it settles down. But you do need to get it to the point where water is circulating properly and the thermostat opening and closing normally, first.

• Like 3
CosKev
56 minutes ago, Ian Kinder (Bagpuss) - Joint Peak District AO said:

But you'd have thought > 1000 mile trip round Scotland would have worked it out

Yeah,or overheated big time etc,strange 🤔

• Like 1
LukeW

I originally thought it was airlock and warmed system up with expansion tank cap removed, Massaging all the hoses until no more bubbles appeared, numerous time. 

Done this with the front jacked up too and whilst on road trip found some steep hills to do the same with the back of the car higher. All still the same. 

Removing thermostat made it run cooler whilst running with good airflow, however as soon as stopped temps rose. 

I even attenpted bleeding using the bleed nipple I have on the system (standard TB)

no air was seen escaping from here

Today I have drained entire system endoscope through where thermostat sits to check out waterpump and all looks fine (although cant upload video)

Radiator removed to check for any sludge/ blockages. Nothing untoward. 

Cant see any hose that is potentially pinched that might be causing a flow issue?

will wait for my new Honda thermostat to turn up Tuesday now before refilling system and bleeding again. 

I guess it would be worth me pressurising the empty system and then flushing with water see if any crap might drain from system but all coolant today looked good and free from debris! 

• Like 1
CraigHew

Note: You need to upload the video to a hosting platform (Youtube is fine) then post a link here.

The link then embeds your video into the post.

• Thanks 1
LukeW
6 hours ago, Si.Dalziel said:

What temps were you seeing? Have you got oil temp too or just coolant?

First day of running was running 94/95 on my dash display, under free flowing driving 

soon as slowed up and hit traffic temps rose 97/98 with fan working constant. 

After removal of thermo the normal running temps were 89/91 but rose quickly as soon as no air flow again with fan working hard when hitting 97

Oil temp throughout all of this have been no higher than 92?!

CosKev

Wonder if the impeller might be slipping on the shaft of the water pump?

Seen it before,not a S2000,where the plastic impeller has a hair line crack in it which allows the shaft to spin inside it rather than turning it

• Like 1
LukeW

Worth a check, I guess I’ll have to drop it off the main body to check? 

Ian Kinder (Bagpuss) - Joint Peak District AO
16 minutes ago, LukeW said:

Worth a check, I guess I’ll have to drop it off the main body to check? 

Hi Luke,

Rather than disturb yours. Let me check mine which is off the car in the garage. I'll then advise how impeller is fixed to shaft etc.

I should be able to do this tomorrow and will put pics up etc.

Best regards,

Ian

• Like 4