• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Benrobson2999

• MikeJG

• Dean Goodall

• Adge Cutler- Dorset AO

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hello all, after much debate and almost purchasing a built car this week, through fate and slight impulse whist sat in the North Sea (Working) I thought sod it, Iam 40 next year. Let’s bite the bullet

Garage is pretty much prepared. Tried Dads car in there for size. Roll on Oct7th...

My lad made me a replacement brake pipe last night. Handy having an apprentice mechanic on hand! 

Posted Images

Gary Taylor - Scotland AO

Welcome Ben , look forward to following your build .

put plenty of pictures up and don’t be afraid to ask any questions 

12 weeks will fly by 😁

Benrobson2999

So I am making a start on the garage tidy up. Thinking about the stands for the chassis to sit on during the build. I have a motorbike bench which is rated to 450 kg. 
With a little modification and some wood on top to protect the chassis would that work? Would it restrict access during build? On the plus side to lower To ground it is very easy.

opinions welcome....

71383120-96BB-4FDB-AA71-3C1ADAFB68FA.jpeg

IainCameron

It might work, but the Westfield ground clearance is not huge, so your stand plus timber on top might not get the Westfield wheels on the ground, which would be a faff.  I'm not sure about anyone else, but I never needed to change the height of the chassis once it was on the stands.... it was a case of; bare chassis on the stands (upside down)... do stage 1 of the panels/ brake lines etc... flip the chassis over and do stage 2... put wheels on and drop to the floor.  And there were a couple of occasions when I needed to get under the car just where your bike lift would be sitting.   I'd go for the tried and tested stands if I were you, but someone might have made it work!

Benrobson2999

You answered my concerns really thankyou. I will look out for some stands.

ive ordered module 1 and 2 now. I have a feeling the wheels don’t come until module 3? Would that be correct?

IainCameron
1 hour ago, Benrobson2999 said:

You answered my concerns really thankyou. I will look out for some stands.

ive ordered module 1 and 2 now. I have a feeling the wheels don’t come until module 3? Would that be correct?

Can't help, sorry Ben... I bought the Basic Starter Kit in 2008, and have been cobbling it together (on and off) for 12 years!

• Like 1
Benrobson2999

Have you enjoyed the build though Iain? I hope so :)

Snags
11 hours ago, IainCameron said:

It might work, but the Westfield ground clearance is not huge, so your stand plus timber on top might not get the Westfield wheels on the ground, which would be a faff.  I'm not sure about anyone else, but I never needed to change the height of the chassis once it was on the stands.... it was a case of; bare chassis on the stands (upside down)... do stage 1 of the panels/ brake lines etc... flip the chassis over and do stage 2... put wheels on and drop to the floor.  And there were a couple of occasions when I needed to get under the car just where your bike lift would be sitting.   I'd go for the tried and tested stands if I were you, but someone might have made it work!

I bought a couple of cheap portable workbenches rate at 150kg each which worked a treat added to which I sold them off afterwards, zero cost. 

As Iain says there is a lot of work down the centre spine that the bike lift will restrict, not impossible but may need some pre-thought. 

• Like 1
IainCameron
1 hour ago, Benrobson2999 said:

Have you enjoyed the build though Iain? I hope so :)

I've built houses for various customers around the country, and prior to that I had a totally separate career in the Armed Forces, but I can honestly say that building my kit car has been right up there in the enjoyable and rewarding experiences!  And the guys on this website are the most generous, friendly and knowledgeable bunch you could wish to meet, and without their help I would have foundered long ago.  My approach to Westfield building hasn't exactly made life simple, but it has certainly been an enjoyable challenge!

• Like 4
Benrobson2999

How about a set of these? 

A6548F26-46B0-4EB9-9E6B-DE9531D31651.png

corsechris

These are plenty strong enough...170kg load each.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/folding-saw-horses-pack-of-2/7965p

Long time ago now, but I had a pair of very flimsy saw horses that worked perfectly well for both the Westy build and a significantly heavier and more agricultural Cobra build too.

• Like 1
Steve (sdh2903)

If you are working in a small garage then being able to move the trestles is invaluable.

I built my own out of timber and bought some heavy duty castors and they've survived 2 westfield builds and also a mates classic beetle resto.

20200718_122324_copy_1512x2016.thumb.jpg.94b427d7bf3b524983e1638e85ba343d.jpg

• Like 3
Benrobson2999
31 minutes ago, Steve (sdh2903) said:

If you are working in a small garage then being able to move the trestles is invaluable.

I built my own out of timber and bought some heavy duty castors and they've survived 2 westfield builds and also a mates classic beetle resto.

20200718_122324_copy_1512x2016.thumb.jpg.94b427d7bf3b524983e1638e85ba343d.jpg

Great idea with the wheels. I was going to buy some casters to make a pallet on wheels for the engine/gearbox when I collect in October

Benrobson2999

Got a set at a garage sale in town today! Bargain :) so started making some room and getting things organised in n the garage. The Honda will go (if anyone is interested!) 

03625AAE-165C-4D95-BDB6-DE16FACD1C22.jpeg

MR.C

I'm liking the Suzuki is it a T500?

Pipes look gorgeous  😍