MX5 'Donor Package'

garytipping

Hi All,

Due to a change of plan, I now have the following, all from a MK1 1600, that I need to sell.

Engine with all ancillaries.

5 Speed gearbox.

ECU

Wiring loom, with most connections tagged.

Steering column with lock and 2 keys.

Complete rear subframe with diff, drive shafts, suspension, hubs and brakes.

Front hubs and brakes,.

Prop shaft

There are 4 x 14" alloys with tyres. They need a complete refurb. I would say the brakes are only any good for exchange.

Looking at average prices on ebay they should make around £750. I need the space for incoming parts so £500 collected from Buckingham.

Regards

Gary

Open diff or LSD? Do you know the ratio?

Hi Russ,

I don't know the answer to that. It's still mounted in the subframe, do you know if there's a way I can find out?

Cheers

Gary

The ratio can be done by turning the input and counting the outputs but to tell what type of diff it is you will need to remove the drive shafts.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, garytipping said:

Hi Russ,

I don't know the answer to that. It's still mounted in the subframe, do you know if there's a way I can find out?

Cheers

Gary

if it has bolt on shafts I should be able to tell you if you can post sone clear pictures of the “ears” on the driveshaft mounting flanges.

12 hours ago, Mark (smokey mow) said:

if it has bolt on shafts I should be able to tell you if you can post sone clear pictures of the “ears” on the driveshaft mounting flanges.

Thanks Mark, off to the garage shortly, so I'll try and get a decent photo.

cheers

Gary

Hi , Here are some photos of the MX5 diff.

I've put the subframe on axle stands and rotated the wheels, they both rotate in the same direction. Looking on line and comparing pictures of the 'ears' it appears to be a Viscous limited slip diff. 5AE3E682-DD5B-44FE-8902-5690B6CA1A04.thumb.jpg.41278b3368e2fb67f3f5ee24e64ac8a9.jpg

I've also marked a wheel and the output shaft and rotated the wheel. I would appear this is a 3.6 diff, which I read is rare.

E22EC0E2-7AB2-4B8C-A97F-EBF136B340D9.thumb.jpg.cd137f8ebc34221562f2c533691825c6.jpg

As you can see, these are exactly how they came out of the MX5!

hope this helps.

cheers

Gary

Looking at the ears it appears to be a 6.5” CWP Viscous VLSD. These were only fitted to the 1.6 up to about 1993 so most likely a 4.3 ratio. 

Thanks Mark, I was just turning the road wheel and counting the revs of the output shaft, seemed to be under 4.

On 09/07/2020 at 21:49, Mark (smokey mow) said:

19 hours ago, Mark (smokey mow) said:

On 09/07/2020 at 06:59, RussH said:

Open diff or LSD? Do you know the ratio?

It's a Viscous Limited Slip Diff. turning the road wheel and counting the revs of the output shaft it is under 4. 

let me know if you need any other info.

Regards

Gary

4 hours ago, garytipping said:

Thanks Mark, I was just turning the road wheel and counting the revs of the output shaft, seemed to be under 4.

Ratios would be either 3.6, 3.9, 4.1 or 4.3.

the 4.3 was only used on the Mk1 1.6 diff Up to 1993 which is characterised by the larger rubber damper on the prop shaft flange.

From 1994 the 1.8 used the larger 7” diff with a 4.1 ratio and then when the detuned 1.6 came out in 1995 this likewise used the same diff. The mk1 diffs had bolt on shafts Whereas from the Mk2 These were push in shafts.

the 3.6 and 3.9 ratio were only used in the cars with 6-speed gearboxes and again used the 7” case with push in shafts.

• Like 1

Lots of diff info :) probably not what I need though 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RussH said:

Lots of diff info :) probably not what I need though 

Don't you need an engine? Rather than a diff

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, EBD Engineering said:

Don't you need an engine? Rather than a diff

I don’t know yet, I’ve been I’ll in bed all day :( A wise man told me he thinks it isn’t bottom end. I’m inclined to check the water pump. 

44 minutes ago, RussH said:

I don’t know yet, I’ve been I’ll in bed all day :( A wise man told me he thinks it isn’t bottom end. I’m inclined to check the water pump. 

No I said it isn’t top end 😛

Important Information

Please review our Terms of Use, Guidelines and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.