MikeJG

Special Edition Build. Starting 2020

Gary Taylor - Scotland AO

The rear bulk head panel will / should flex enough to drop in ( watch your fingers), looking rearwards flex the Center towards you, so it’s concave then wiggle it down into place. Hope that makes sense 

• Like 1

Adge Cutler- Dorset AO

Link to the rear panel fit bit (P6) from my build diary. Might give some ideas?

MikeJG

Thanks for the guidance. It gave me the confidence to be more brutal than I had dared without knowing I wasn't missing a trick. 

😁

• Like 2

MikeJG

Have been cracking on the last couple of days. All top panels drilled. Just floor and battery to do when flipped. First panels rivetted. You need both air and hand operated needed. Hand for getting in the corners and air because otherwise I would die from the effort!

15994762200781037097833919430050.jpg

• Like 3

MikeJG

For the benefit of those coming after, the rivetters are both the very cheapest I could find on Amazon. £30 for the air gun and £10 for the hand gun. Both absolutely fine (so far)

• Like 1

MikeJG

Hi. Can anyone point me at a photo of where the rigid fuel lines should finish at the back before attachment to flexibles to the tank?

Thanks in advance.

Rich201060

Mine looked like this clipped later .

P1020384.thumb.JPG.f64a09aea434e101c4cb73aac2d6d32d.JPG

• Like 1

MikeJG

Rich. Thanks for that. What is the logic for that. I had a quick look at the tank and assumed the feed and return were the same end, top and bottom. Am I missing something?

Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary

Easier pipe management.

the feed pipe comes out of the tanks sideways, towards the O/S of the car, and the pump is mounted side to side across the back of the car, the filter is typically mounted Facing front to back, on the lower chassis rail next to the diff, so the hose basically does a big loop via pump and filter, before returning to join the hard line. Nice gentle bends are a good thing in this hose, to keep flow rates up etc, so that layout has proven to work well, over the decades the factory has used it.

• Thanks 1

MikeJG

Dave you are a fountain of knowledge. That's clear. No useful photo in the manual I can find or even a schematic of the fuel system that would help the clueless amongst us!

Oh and further to your earlier advice I have now drilled all (I think) panel rivet holes in advance. For anyone who is interested I bought 2 of these 4.1mm drills: Bosch 2608585917 and did the whole lot with them without a breakage or even much wear. Only used the second one to see if the first one was discernibly wearing.

• Like 3

Adge Cutler- Dorset AO

Might help(ish)! Excuse the muck.
Feed line.

Offside, looking forward, hose outlet from fuel filter to hard line just rear of lowered floor:

B3178A31-721A-4FA9-83B4-28A724307700.thumb.jpeg.fd47e4b9012da804858a03a83d08251f.jpeg

Return line

Nearside, hard line rear of lowered floor to hose which then loops up around rear of bulkhead to return tapping on rear of tank.

B2B7A2D9-D75E-495D-A506-0364EF476901.thumb.jpeg.61d5658369ad5a1d15f7e71b753a72e6.jpeg

• Like 2

MikeJG

I know I have been quiet for a couple of days but just been getting on between golf. So here is a bit of an update. Finished underneath fuel and brake lines; and floor panels. Back right way up now and am putting some more panels on as I clearcoat them. Did the rear brake pipes and am still swearing at these silly clips. Broken 3 times more than i have fitted just by touching them and unless the hole is EXACTLY 1/4 inch they either fall out or break getting them in. Is there any reason why I can't just use P clips everywhere? 

I have a little pipe bender which I used where I can on the fuel lines but the brake lines need so much in the way of variable plane and radius that its not very useful. Most of the brake pipes I have had to do manually which is not very beautiful. WSC method of using a spanner marks the pipes.

Needed to order a few spare bolts and looked for the place I had found on line a year or 2 back which had a great website and good stock. I had to search through my email to find the last order confirmation. Discovered they were called Westfield Fasteners!

That's all for now. No more major problems just yet. 😁😁

image.png

Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary

Odd, don’t normally have many problems with the rivet in pipe clips - other than sometimes being quite hard to push home. (A short offcut of pipe clipped in, helps enormously here, when closing up the rivet section.)

IainCameron
26 minutes ago, MikeJG said:

Is there any reason why I can't just use P clips everywhere?

I used P-clips throughout, as I was advised (rightly or wrongly) that the U-clips are more liable to snap off.

Westfield Fasteners have been a godsend to me... if only I'd known the totality of what I needed on my first order, I'd have saved £££s on postage!

MikeJG

Except to say that my chassis at the front looks nothing like the one in the manual so to check the front brake line routing matches the precut brake pipe, I run a bit of cable first and measure it before I bend the pipe!

16002487915931233834168021903594.jpg

• Like 1